World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Sorry have not had the energy or time to write this so it's a few days late.

On Thursday eve I had planned to go fishing at Sandwich Bay over low water to target bass, but sometimes you get that feeling in your head that you should just not go fishing!

Head full of snot and throats almost on fire after a week of fighting a dangerous and crippling life-threatening illness commonly known as Man-flu.

I thought to myself, I shouldn't go fishing.

Couldn't quite mentally shrug off the days work and the fact that I would have a fairly stressful next day as I was on deadline, and already run down with minimal sleep and going fishing would only make things worse.

Left my house in Herne bay at 5:30pm after frantically trying to pack the car before the wife and kids got home and I inevitably become enslaved in chores. It took almost an hour to get to Sandwich due to a serious collision somewhere in Thanet which snarled up all the roads.

I thought to myself, I shouldn't have gone fishing.

I then had to try to find a cash point as I forgot to get money out for the toll. And arriving later than planned I decided to fish the private beach (£7), rather than the £4 just to go through the estate and fish the chequers mark.

I actually had little energy when I arrived and the prospect of walking up and down the long beach over a big low tide started to take its toll.

First cast, a whiting

Second cast, cracked off

My attention soon turned to the weather. It was warm, very warm and the weather forecast predicted some light rain so I had come prepared with my shelter. But up above me the sky started to light up - lightning, tons of the stuff.

This concerned me. I'm not stupid enough to fish in a lightening storm, but I am arrogant enough to push the limits of most situations. And 30 minutes later I still found myself fishing whilst starting at the sky to an incredible show of Mother Nature's power. To my defence the storm was out at sea and I couldn't hear any thunder, which is my naive way of telling myself 'it will be fine'. I am a plonker some times.

Then as predicted, the heavens opened and I retreated to my shelter for another 30 minutes.

Eventually the storm did pass and I refocused my attention on the fishing. Then the next error came, my head torch ran out of power. Didn't charge it did I?

Bumbling about in almost darkness trying to bait up some ridiculously large lug worm onto two hook flappers and making a right mess of things.

Though as the tide started to quickly flood and reach the edge of the shingle I started to drop my casts in very close, between 5 and 10 yards and the bites started to come through. A precession of dogfish.

With about 10 worms left I knew there wasn't much long left to go until I can out myself out of my misery and go home to the warmth of my bed. Oh, here come the whiting!

Worm all nearly but run out, the last cast was made and I started to pack up one of my rods. Only to find the rod in the water started to thump away violently, having the baits so close in always produces a more positive bite. But a couple of winds of the reel and a nice small bass was on the shingle, not big enough to take home for the pan but it certainly lifted my mood and put a smile on my face for the first time that evening.

I thought to myself, I'm glad I went fishing :)

IMG_0546.JPG

Until next time

Alan

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Evening all,

Sorry have not had the energy or time to write this so it's a few days late.

On Thursday eve I had planned to go fishing at Sandwich Bay over low water to target bass, but sometimes you get that feeling in your head that you should just not go fishing!

Head full of snot and throats almost on fire after a week of fighting a dangerous and crippling life-threatening illness commonly known as Man-flu.

Couldn't quite mentally shrug off the days work and the fact that I would have a fairly stressful next day as I was on deadline, and already run down with minimal sleep and going fishing would only make things worse.

Left my house in Herne bay at 5:30pm after frantically trying to pack the car before the wife and kids got home and I inevitably become enslaved in chores. It took almost an hour to get to Sandwich due to a serious collision somewhere in Thanet which snarled up all the roads.

I then had to try to find a cash point as I forgot to get money out for the toll. And arriving later than planned I decided to fish the private beach (£7), rather than the £4 just to go through the estate and fish the chequers mark.

I actually had little energy when I arrived and the prospect of walking up and down the long beach over a big low tide started to take its toll.

First cast, a whiting

Second cast, cracked off

My attention soon turned to the weather. It was warm, very warm and the weather forecast predicted some light rain so I had come prepared with my shelter. But up above me the sky started to light up - lightning, tons of the stuff.

This concerned me. I'm not stupid enough to fish in a lightening storm, but I am arrogant enough to push the limits of most situations. And 30 minutes later I still found myself fishing whilst starting at the sky to an incredible show of Mother Nature's power. To my defence the storm was out at sea and I couldn't hear any thunder, which is my naive way of telling myself 'it will be fine'. I am a plonker some times.

Then as predicted, the heavens opened and I retreated to my shelter for another 30 minutes.

Eventually the storm did pass and I refocused my attention on the fishing. Then the next error came, my head torch ran out of power. Didn't charge it did I?

Bumbling about in almost darkness trying to bait up some ridiculously large lug worm onto two hook flappers and making a right mess of things.

Though as the tide started to quickly flood and reach the edge of the shingle I started to drop my casts in very close, between 5 and 10 yards and the bites started to come through. A precession of dogfish.

With about 10 worms left I knew there wasn't much long left to go until I can out myself out of my misery and go home to the warmth of my bed. Oh, here come the whiting!

Worm all nearly but run out, the last cast was made and I started to pack up one of my rods. Only to find the rod in the water started to thump away violently, having the baits so close in always produces a more positive bite. But a couple of winds of the reel and a nice small bass was on the shingle, not big enough to take home for the pan but it certainly lifted my mood and put a smile on my face for the first time that evening.

I thought to myself, I'm glad I went fishing :)

View attachment 1124677

Until next time

Alan
Nice report bud:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Can't wait for next installment that was awesome read thank 4:sharing with us cheers ( nothing more dangerous than MAN FLU) get well soon

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
What a good read,I’m going to Shoreham tomorrow to Fish the evening Tide although I might decide to get there at low and Fish until high, I hope my Report doesn’t finish with !I Shouldn’t Have Gone Fishing !! I want it to finish with an old John Wilson saying !! What A Clonking Fish !! :happydance:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Haha! Us Herne Bay lads are clearly made of sterner stuff... that’s the sort of stupid stuff I do! Nice one Alan :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts