World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

as one of those last minute things, my partner said to me last night "are we going fishing then?"

Not being someone who has to be asked twice (unless it involves work around the house) I said "ok lets try Sandwich Bay".

We arrived down there sometime after 22:00 and when I got to the end of the road facing the sea, I saw a couple of guys fishing. I pulled over to the side of the road to stop and see how they were doing.
This was the point when one wheel on the van decided to go down a hole and not move any further...

I walked down to the guys that were fishing and asked them:

a) had they caught anything and
b) could they give me a push to get going again.

I would just like to say a big thank you if it was you who helped us and I hope you caught something.

Anyway, van out of the hole we drove a little way to the left of the T junction and set up.

By now the wind had got up a bit and was a cold northeasterly and it was quite misty and damp too.

Corrie (my partner) was the first one to catch and guess what...

... It was a small common smoothound :clap2:

This was on the top hook of a two hook flapper rig on squid.
I managed to take a not very good picture on her phone (due to the camera batteries being on charge) but didn't bother weighing the fish as we just wanted to put it back as quickly as possible.

Shortly afterwards she went on to catch a small doggie also on squid.

I kept missing bites on my frozen sandeel even though I was leaving it longer each time.
Eventually I changed over to squid and had quite a nice sized doggie about the 2lb mark. This came about midnight (HT 23:33).

Corrie went on to catch one more doggie before we packed up and went home.

She is now very pleased at having caught a smoothy, something that I have never caught in all the years I have been fishing.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Why cant my missus be that enthusiastic about fishing:schmoll: Well done corrie! And at least you didnt blank Malcolm.:)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why cant my missus be that enthusiastic about fishing:schmoll: Well done corrie! And at least you didnt blank Malcolm.:)
No I didn't blank but have been ribbed all day about getting beaten by her yet again....

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
nice one you TWO, We will have to have a look down there see if we can float the rubber ducks,,,ive pumped some nice yellow tails down that way

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
WHAT,,,we not gonna start a dinghy ARMARDA?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks as if Malcolm is looking at getting something in the 30-35ft range,around 450hp and speeding them off to the fishing grounds at 20+ kts.

Ron
you mean something like this little thing I found on fleabay? 170102303047

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not at the moment Ron, although Corries' sisters both live in Texas so they should club together and buy it for when we go out there.

For this year we will stick with the inflatable. :boat:

Might get a "project" boat at the end of the summer depending on finances.

Although I did spend some time in the merchant navy, I do get seasick. Probably why I go out on flat calm days or stick to beach fishing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts