World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ..can anyone tell me where to get a spare spool for the shimano saragosa 18000 reel or if not do any other spools in the shimano range fit the saragosa ive tried shimano uk but no reply also ive sent away for carbontex drag washers to upgrade the saragosa but i saw somewhere that shimano have already upgraded the saragosa any help lads would be great cheers johnboy..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi John. Regarding the drag upgrade, I wouldn't bother because the saragosa already pulls 20kg (44lb) of drag anyway. (the Stella's only pull 25kg) In real life even when you have a big Tuna on with Donnie you're only ever going to need a maximum of 15-20lbs of drag. Any more & I think it'll pop the line or the rod. Have a look at the article via the link at the bottom, this guy has had some monster Tuna & sets his drag so light that it gives every time he works the jig. After the first run he then tightens up a bit until he has the better of the fish.
If you tie 20lb of your weights and try to dead lift them until your drag slips you'll see how much that is.... If you dont snap your rod. I think the smoothness of the drag & having plenty of line is more important than the strength of the drag setting. The saragosa drag is very smooth out of the box (I've used Steve's) You & me both know what happens when we get into a tug'o'war with 'em.
I hope to have a pint with you & T soon if possible!
Dave.

P.S. all, does any other spool fit the Stella or are Shimano too crafty for that.

http://www.bragnrelease.com/forum/forum_posts~TID~324.htm

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi dave well thanks for the reply mate i thought that was the case with the spools ...it/s just that you can buy spare ones for the stella and that is a far more expensive reel ..i just can/t find anywhere that does the saragosa spool...and i/m still working on tina to get out to cuba the same time as you guys but shes digging her heels in so we will have to wait and see... cheers johnboy

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi there

I can get one for you they are £69.95 + about £5 postage

is it an 18,000 S . Its the genuine shimano one.

email me if you want one they normally take about 2 weeks . [email protected]

Regards richard sheard

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi richard my reel is a 18000 f so i don/t know if it/s the same or not but i think i will look around a bit more but thanks anyway ..i don/t go away until october so i have a bit of time ..many thanks .johnboy

·
Registered
414 Posts
hi i just ordered a saragosa!are they as good as a stella?got a 11000 stella and got eagles with duni just wanted a back up set up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hiya, just found that pretty much the whole range of sizes for the saragosa are available from SUBPROF.COM same sort of price as quoted above but just for info for you or anyone else looking as i was.Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts