World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday 12th a couple of us tagged along on a trip out wrecking on the Huntress out of Grimsby. Most of those on board were novices. After a hours or so traveling we made the wreck just before slack water. In the next few hours we managed a Pollock of 8lb, a lot of small codling up to a couple of pounds, pouting coming out of ears and about a dozen ling to 7lbs. We then tried about 5 other wrecks working our way back to grimsby adding to our talley of ling. Once back Jim, the skipper suggested we have a couple of hours of uptiding in the river, at the first mark we had a couple of small smutts which made the novices day and at the last mark I had one of the smallest whiting ive ever seen. All in all a very enjoyable day with every one catching and I managed to catch my first Pollock. We did see the Preadetor returning to port later on but im not sure what was caught.

I cant wait till our next trip on the 10th of October, especially as we will be trying for portbeagles on the 9th at Whitby too.

Greg

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Great report Greg well done on the Pollack and Ling. Looking forwrd to joining you on a few trips out this winter. Last year we were picking up cod in the Humber around mid October but not in numbers. Hopefully by the 10th Oct the offshore marks should be filling up nicely, fingers crossed. Sounds like a good boat and skipper offering wrecking and uptiding in the same trip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well done on your 'pool winning pollack' mate! Its a grand boat to fish from with plenty of knots to get you out amongst em & the skipper just doesnt know when to call it a day! Izzy, PP & myself also had a good day out with jim on friday with some good fish aboard, notably a 10.5lb ling to Pouting (magnet) Paul. Roll on the 9th fingers X'd for good weather & lots of sharks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes well done on the pollack greg, as d d said we had a similar day out with jim on friday. Plenty of pouting, cod and ling with a few wrasse. a good stable boat with plenty of room.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well done Greg and thanks for all your help for making my trip out on the Huntress and good and successful experience!! This was my first ever trip out wrecking and was becoming a bit cynical after losing loads of gear (and fishing time) in the first four hours or so!! All I seemed to be able to catch were pouting and it seemed like a time-warp back to my childhood!! Finally a decent fish hung on and with all the force my arthritic body could impose the ling gave up its home!! I thought it was a bit more than Richards 10.5lb, but |I'm not too fussed!! All in all a damn good trip, great company,thanks dd and Izzy (Richard and Karl). Special thanks to Jim Walker and his fabulous boat!!
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!

Lest we Forget - Help for Heroes Big Fish Rover Match - 27.12.09

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Well done Greg and everyone else, sounds like you all had a cracking day :)

AL ..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I cant wait till our next trip on the 10th of October, especially as we will be trying for portbeagles on the 9th at Whitby too.

Greg
Wow, that's one boat that ain't affraid to clock up some miles hunting them fishies down !, gonna be up at Whitby meself that weekend so I'll keep an eye out for you Greg.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all
I have to give Jim his dues of all the boats ive been out on Ive never known a skipper work so hard to put you over and keep you over the fish, if the fish arent there then off to another wreck. He does really short drifts as soon as your past the wreck then up and off back for another drift, it makes for intense fishing but it does maxamise the time in the right place.
I cant wait till we start fishing the river with him in the winter he's already given me a heads up of what his plans are and they sound like a winner!

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts