World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and Shane B headed back down west Wales yesterday afternoon to meet up with The Codfather and his oldman who were staying at Freshwater East. We headed out about 6pm but had to a pick a mark suitable for oldman tezza as he's a little unstable on his feet and dont like walking much.:wheelchai

We ended up at Stackpole quay which we fished 2 up 2 down, when we got there we were welcomed by a shower of rain but it soon cleared and we got down to fishing. Bites were slow on the beachcasters and the snaggy bottom was claiming the odd rig. We set up the light gear and tried some floating and spinning before the sun went down but with no takes. We ended up dropping small rigs down the side of the quay on the light gear and there were plenty of small wrasse, goby, pollack and rockling to be had.

After the good responce to my Barafundle post I left the lads fishing and took a walk towards Bara to take a look, found a few nice ledges along the way too. Headed back to the quay as the darkness set in. The lads still had nothing on the casters but had caught quite a few fish on the light gear. As it got dark I managed 2 dogfish on the light gear which put up a good fight. We left the quay around 11pm and I dropped The Codfather and Tezza off at the campsite and myself and Shane B headed to Milford docks to try and use up the bait we had left.

Got to Milford docks around midnight and we set up the light rods again and dropped them over the wall, Shane B had pouting of around 8oz almost instantly. Fishing went quiet then for around an hour before i had a monster bite that resulted in one of the best scraps ive ever had. Took me around 2-3 minutes to get the fish to the surface as it kept stripping line, eventually a strap conger broke the surface and we spent a few minutes trying to find somewhere to make the landing easier. No joy so we took a chance a hand lined the fish up on 10lb line and a size 6 hook. Safely ashore the fished weighed in at 3.5lb. Around half hour later I had another good bite and connected with the culprit, it felt weird like a dead weight and eventually I got my 1st lobster ashore, didnt weigh it but it was easily over 1lb, took some pics and let old "pinchy" go to fight another day. We left the docks at 3.30am and arrived back in Newport around 6am this morning.:sleeping:

A good night was had by all despite the lack of tidy fish from the quay, thanks to the lads who gave me the info on Barfundle:clap3: , hoping to head there next weekend.

Tight Lines all......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
no m8, it was quite calm considering the wind.
Did the lobster have 1 or 2 claws??? I keep hooking into them, but end up just reeling in the claws. Got 1 the other night down the milford docks, thought lovely, it was a dead weight to & thought id hooked into some seaweed or something, once it broke the surface it hit the wall & whatever it was fell back into the water. I discovered it was yet another claw. Gutted wouldnt mind a lobby for tea.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CQ - It had 2 claws a lots of attitude, came out flicking its tail at us. Shane B run a mile LOL. Can you tell kelogs ive sent him a pm.

tsf.steve - hope to bump into you down there m8, not a deffinate for next weekend yet but if the weathers looking good ill probably be there.

Rockling - its no good m8, i need your wisdom and guiding hand Shane B's small fish syndrome is rubbing off on me. Let me know next time your down Marloes way m8 and I'll tag along to pester you.

Tight Lines all....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts