World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
With quite "an itch too scratch" having not wet a line since mid October, the recent easing of travel restrictions was too much to resist.
With a keen N/NE breeze the forecast was'nt ideal but by Saturday i could wait no longer.
The missus having also not fished since October was up for a sesh so-
After a 40 minute drive we were parked up near the Metropole hotel & down on the beach for around 8.30pm with low tide 10.40pm ish.

Viva Las Blackpool
20210403_212801.jpg

I soon had the Sandstorms armed with my usual 5/0 pulleys & 5oz leads, Donna had the same setup on her Shakey Omni, all rods were baited with Bluey/Squid wraps.​
Whilst setting up i'd noticed the tell tale breaking waves of a hidden sandbar 60 or 70 yards out, after an exploratory wade out through bo11ack depth water & finding there was only a foot or so of water covering the bar we decided to fish off that as we still had 90 minutes or so before low water.​
After wading out the 80 yards or so to cast both my rods i was blowing out of my ar$e (out of practice) 馃サ馃サ馃サ so after baiting up our spare rigs it was time for a brew.​
As usual as soon as my coffee was poured the tip of one of my rods springs back (at which point i launch my coffee) then starts the "Doggie dance" 馃槨馃槨馃槨.​
Anyways a result of sorts- i'd beaten the blank.
20210404_153551.jpg
Fresh Bluey/Squid wraps were sent out & i had chance to finish a brew this time as my rod tips remained motionless.​
Donna had been getting a few rattles which on reeling in turned out to be a Whiting so blank beaten for both of us.​
Low tide came & went without any further signs of interest on the rod tips so around midnight we decided to sack it.​
Though i'd seen no signs of a bite, on reeling my last cast in the extra weight i felt turned out to be another Doggie.​
Hardly exciting fishing but it was a pleasant few hours out.​
Tight lines.​
Rick馃槣​

Registered
You scratched the itch Rick and didn't blank so mission accomplished. Are there any gulley's there that can cut you off apart from the one behind your sandbank, higher up the beach?

Reactions: Huss Hustler

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You scratched the itch Rick and didn't blank so mission accomplished. Are there any gulley's there that can cut you off apart from the one behind your sandbank, higher up the beach?
Hiya Tim,
It changes slightly all the time but along that stretch there's never any "real" gullies to worry about.
At the moment, straight out from the Metropole there's a bit of a gulley tight to the bottom of the ramp & steps from the prom, this varies along it's length from bo11ock depth to shin deep. This does'nt dry out but can be walked around as it's only a couple of hundred yards long & it won't start filling up for at least 3 hours after low water.
Once on the beach there's a shallow gulley/depression running across the beach around 150 yards out from the prom that drys out as the tide's dropping.
Main reason i fish this stretch is because compared to Norbreck or Cleveleys it's safe easy fishing.
Apart from the flooding tide pushing you back at regular intervals it's fishable for at least a couple of hours after low water.
Hope that makes sense mate.
Tight lines.
Rick馃槣

Registered
Hiya Tim,
It changes slightly all the time but along that stretch there's never any "real" gullies to worry about.
At the moment, straight out from the Metropole there's a bit of a gulley tight to the bottom of the ramp & steps from the prom, this varies along it's length from bo11ock depth to shin deep. This does'nt dry out but can be walked around as it's only a couple of hundred yards long & it won't start filling up for at least 3 hours after low water.
Once on the beach there's a shallow gulley/depression running across the beach around 150 yards out from the prom that drys out as the tide's dropping.
Main reason i fish this stretch is because compared to Norbreck or Cleveleys it's safe easy fishing.
Apart from the flooding tide pushing you back at regular intervals it's fishable for at least a couple of hours after low water.
Hope that makes sense mate.
Tight lines.
Rick馃槣
That's brilliant info Rick, many thanks for the reply it's greatly appreciated :):):). I almost went up that area for my fist session since lock down thinking all the Mersey venues would be rammed but it was gonna be in the evening and without being familiar with the place I decided not to bother, what with Wales opening up next week as well.

I know what you mean about Cleveley's I very narrowly missed being caught out myself there a couple of times last year and did see a couple of lads come a cropper and have to wade back through water up to their chests. It was this that put me off trying your neck of the woods without the luxury of a daytime excursion to watch how the tide recedes and get the lie of the gulley's.

Cheers (y)
Tim

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's brilliant info Rick, many thanks for the reply it's greatly appreciated :):):). I almost went up that area for my fist session since lock down thinking all the Mersey venues would be rammed but it was gonna be in the evening and without being familiar with the place I decided not to bother, what with Wales opening up next week as well.

I know what you mean about Cleveley's I very narrowly missed being caught out myself there a couple of times last year and did see a couple of lads come a cropper and have to wade back through water up to their chests. It was this that put me off trying your neck of the woods without the luxury of a daytime excursion to watch how the tide recedes and get the lie of the gulley's.

Cheers (y)
Tim
You're welcome mate.
Rick馃槣

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cheers (y)
Tim
Hiya Tim,
Almost forgot to add, due to the lights on the tower (think they're turned off at 1.00am) & the prom that stretch of beach is never 100% dark so you can still make out what's around you.
Rick馃槣

Registered

Registered
Hiya Tim,
Almost forgot to add, due to the lights on the tower (think they're turned off at 1.00am) & the prom that stretch of beach is never 100% dark so you can still make out what's around you.
Rick馃槣
Cheers for the help Rick, had forgot about the illuminations lol :D (y)

Registered
Thanks HH for scratching our itch for a great catch report....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you got out Rick and more importantly, you didn't blank. Let's hope we can all get out soon. Good luck mate.
Hiya Mark,
Long time no speak mate.
Definitely had "an itch too scratch", beating the blank was a bonus.
You & yours stay safe mate.
Tight lines.
Rick馃槣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts