World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to fish Saundersfoot Friday night and either tenby Sout/North beach saturday. Fished Saundersfoot Saturday night with a few mates and all i could get was the odd bite 5 in total managed to hit 2 of them resulting in a very small flounder and a whiting of a similar length. the week before on the neap it fished much better I was very surprised any way it is ment to get colder over the next few days and hopefully bring in a few of the better sized whiting!!!

PS. How do I freeze lug that i have pumped off the beach down as when I try it and put the worm on the hook it always falls down to the bend of the hook leaving me with a blob of lug!!!

Do any of you know how either Neyland and Hobbs point are fishing?

Thanks guys be back later!!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi

Fished hobbs point on the last set of small tides - 2 x 3hr sessions with one rod out for conger while the other was scratching resulted in -
1 Strap Conger (4lb ish) Also lost another small one on the surface!!!
Pouting - up to 8oz!!!
Pollack to 1lb 8oz
and plenty of other knocks/bites - but nothing major!!!

Rumours were in the air of a number of codling being landed but nawt for me!!!

Ended up leaving with a lighter tackle box too having lost a few weights/rigs etc (probably in an old car or trolley or something)!!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT METHODS OF FREEZING LUG. I PERSONALLY SPREAD PAPER ON FLOOR, PUT WORMS ON PAPER SIDE BY SIDE, AND TIP SALT OVER THEM, AND LEAVE THEM OVERNIGHT, WHAT HAPPENS IS THE SALT MAKES THE GUTS EXPLODE, AND COME OUT OF THE WORM. U CANNOT FREEZE THEM AS THEY ARE;IE; [WITH THE GUTS IN] U R ONLY REALLY FREEZING THE CARCASS, DONT GO NUTS WITH SALT THOW, OR THEY WILL END HARD AFTER FREEZING, AND R DIFFICULT TO GET ON THE HOOK.AS I MADE THE MISTAKE OF DOIN ONCE.MIND U ONCE THEY GET ON THE HOOK AFTER THIS MISTAKE THEY R VERY HARD 2 COME OFF. WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GREAT. TILL I FOUND MY BUDDIES WERE ALL CATCHING MORE FISH THAN ME ON THE ONES THEY FROZE PROPERLY. GOOD LUCK....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you loose quite a bit of tackle down at old Hobbs especially if you can not hit the channel like me that is why I prefer to fish neyland every time out of the 2 times that I have fished therei have seen loads of little wrasse pout etc. being caught i lost one fish on rag that had o bit of weight to it fought just like a bass but I am not sure!!! What rigs and tackle did you use at hobbs what size hooks and baits did you fish in the dark??

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've found that you loose less tackle fishing small tides on the way in so there's less drag on the line, and therefore doesn't drag your weight/rig too much. I don't bother with the high tides there!!!

I normally fish with 2 rods - one loaded with any old weights that I have found and a running ledger with squid/mack combo for the conger on a size 4/0 or 5/0 hook. Usually works OK. Then whack out another 2 hook (size 1 or 1/0) trace (just 2 hooklenghts coming off mainline), with worm bait, fixed onto a rotten bottom (again with old sh*tty weights that you don't mind losing!!) for any other fish that may be around the place.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
AS ALWAYS U CANT BEAT FRESH, BUT I AV AD BASS OFF FROZEN LUG IN SAUNDERSFOOT, COS I HOLIDAY THERE EVERY YEAR, BUT I AM A LOVER OF FRESH RAZOR. I USED THE OLD SALT METHOD THERE ON OCT 14TH THIS YEAR, AND BROUGHT THEM HOME AND CAUGHT BASS DOWN THE RANNY, BUT I AM WILLING TO STIK MY NECK OUT AND SAY YES THEY SHOULD WORK NO PROBS, WHITING SHOULD TAKE THEM. THATS ALL I USUALLY USE ON THE FORESHORE IN CARDIFF FOR THE COD.[FROZEN LUG CAN BE A GOOD BAIT. ]PUT A TIP OF SQUID ON THE END OF IT M8........

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mate I shall get pumping and freezing now that I know the correct method will still take my badly frozen ones down on saturday and a spool of elastic just to see what is about!!!

Did you fish on the low water when you ad your bass??????

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cant wait and till tomorrow should have dogs and small whiting will probably either fish Coppet hall or flat rock beack.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe ill wade out but it sounds iffy in the dark as it is a neap the tide wont go out on to the lug bed anyway so we will be casting in to 4 foot of water in front of the harbour anyway...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rag, mackerel and lug is all i use there squid, sandeel, clam and razor have worked well for me in the coldest weather after a big storm. Rag seems to outfish the lug on the harbour but on the beach Lug takes over you are mainly fishing for flounder and bass off the beach even though i aint ad a bass from this mark When you use rag use the average sized ones and size 4 hooks my best bag of flounder and dab was taken using this method i had 4 small flounder and 1 not bad sized 1 it is still good fun on a light beachcaster!!! I have tried peeler crab a couple of times off this mark but never done well on it i bet it would work high summer over at wisemans bridge on the kelp though

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
thanks 4 that m8. try around by waterwinch bay in summer with fresh razor. had 10 bass in 1 day there, even locals didnt believe me, i am not rude i like a chat, but they seem ignorant, thats what i found, i dont do ignorant, but if u ever fish there in summer ie; july to end sept, tell me and i will take u to a place, i no it is 100 miles from me, but i will accompany u m8 promise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts