World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people throw this fish back and it seems to get little respect and yet with a little research there apears to be many claims that this is a fine eating fish better than mackeral.Has anybody tried the humble scad and if so how? Sushmi was one of the ideas i came across it was claimed to be amongst the finest.
For those who disrespect the fish i came upon this recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2309645 i am fairly sure of giving this one a miss :unsure:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I think the only problem with preparing for eating is the scales, scutes and quite a few bones.

But never mind that, just take a close look before returning (or keeping) one - they are designed like a cross betweena Giant Trevally and a Bluefin Tuna.
Just see how the dorsal fin can fold down into a slot at its base, how there is a shallow scallop-shaped depression into which the pectoral fin can fit if held flat against the body, how even the eyes have a streamlined transparent "fairing" to give a perfectly flush finish with the rest of the head.

Here is a fish built for speed; show it some respect and once in a while fish for them one at a time on gear light enough to let them take line, with a light drag on a small reel. But don't bother doing that for ones weighing less than (say) about a pound.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
There is a large commercial fishing company in Scotland that only processes mackeral, herring and scad. A lot of people must be buying them (in Europe I expect)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not the best eating but very nice all the same BBq

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would not rate it as good as Mackerel. However, once the skin and spiny bits are removed it is a reasonably good eating fish.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I found a way to prepare them the other day that now I've done it a few times makes complete an utter sense and makes me wonder why I hadn't thought of it before. You slice the scaley hook-bits off (scutes?) by going as if to fillet the fish from tail towards the head, but just at a shallower angle. These bits come off in one neat little strip that leaves the fillet beneath in tact.

Still quite boney inside when you come to eat it, but not too bad when you get used to it.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
From Wikipedia:

The Atlantic horse mackerel, Trachurus trachurus is a species of mackerel in the family Carangidae. It gets its common name from the legend that other smaller species of fish could ride on the back of it over great distances. Other common names include common scad, maasbanker, pollock, scad, saurel, rough scad.

The Atlantic horse mackerel can be found in the north-eastern Atlantic from Iceland to Senegal, including the Cape Verde islands, and also in the Mediterranean and, rarely, in the Black Sea.

It congregates in large schools in coastal waters, where it feeds on crustaceans, squid, and other fishes. There are two main populations: the west stock which spawn in the eastern Atlantic off the coasts of western Europe, and the north stock which spawn in the North Sea.

This mackerel is edible and can be smoked, fried, salted and baked etc. It is an important commercial fish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response I believe i may have been missing out on a dinner or two. Now whats the chances of catching a Scad or two now i want one?:banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts