World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a good set of dial scales that will take up to 50lb in 1oz increments if possible? I have never had a proper set yet so I don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Reuben Heaton scales been at the forefront for many years. Can be calibrated so you'll know they are true.
For pleasure angling I'd just get digital ones. Much lighter and smaller and easier all round.

Reactions: NIrishDane

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reuben Heaton scales been at the forefront for many years. Can be calibrated so you'll know they are true.
For pleasure angling I'd just get digital ones. Much lighter and smaller and easier all round.
I was thinking about digital scales but thought I didnt want to have something that might break after a year or 2. Would rather get a bit of quality gear that will serve me for many years. I'll take a look at the reuben heatons then. Cheers

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Reactions: NIrishDane

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are what I've used but only go to 40lb. They are reliable but not down to the oz.
Only put 50lb as a rough guide to what I needed, doubt I will be catching fish that big from the shore anyways :p "reliable" is a good word, I like it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've got Reuben Heaton scales in 120lb, 60lb and the flyweights, which I use almost exclusively now I rarely catfish any longer. My flyweights are also at least 8 years old and are battered.. plastic cracked in several places, held together with an elastic band.. but are still accurate year in, year out. The old style Avon scales are also very good.

The problem with digital scales is they sit in the bottom of your bag for ages, then when you catch something big enough to warrant weighing, the batteries are usually dead.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
View attachment 1123933
These look decent for the money, anybody used these?
Yes, I had a pair, rusted inside quite quickly, not impressed at all.

The Reuben Heaton dial scales are good, but also quite large, there are several similar sets of scales available, Daiwa did one, but as said, quite large and heavy, not what I would like to lug along a beach.
I have a set of "Avon" scales for freshwater, they must be at least 30 years old, and still accurate.

For taking to the beach I have a small set of digitals, the batteries never seem to go flat, I have had this set in for 3 years and they are fine, the scales only cost about fifteen quid, and are accurate measured alongside my Avons ( which I had checked against the the Post Office parcel scales)
The one problem with my digitals, is that they measure in Pounds, but each pound is divided into a hundred instead of sixteen , so I had to make a weight chart to convert. Numb I know, but seems to work OK.

Dave

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
View attachment 1123939
This looks pretty good and of industrial standard, bit pricey though. Have you used them?

Hi no but many of them are the same just different case/boxes as parts that makes it work are often generic brand just packages to there flavours
There are the odd maker of original scales but even those are folding in and having badge made by an other or there lower ranges made by Mr chonky wonky at Precision Noodles!
Berkley had a 100lb set that was really good cant find them anymore the 50's not in same league.

Ive the Avon dials 32lb
The trick with battery ones is to place an immobiliser between battery and item like one many came with ie piece of plastic etc then pull out when need scales or circuits using battery

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Re the digital scales, I bought a set of cheap hand held luggage scales from Aldi for about £5. I ve compared them to other hanging scales I've got, and they are spot on..They even have a back light which not all the luggage scales have...

When fishing, I keep the Aldi scales in a Ziploc plastic bag and so far the scales have held up ok....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts