World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone tell me exactly where Scars Elbow is? I have heard different locations stated but don't know which one is correct.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you walk west from Thorney Bay passing the Mobile homes/Caravan site until you reach the bend where the jetty reaches out into the estuary you are there. The bend is the Elbow. There are a few deep holes within casting distance from the wall/rocks.
Alternatively walking east along the sea wall from the Lobster smack pub to the bend just past the fourth and last jetty will bring you to the same place.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you walk west from Thorney Bay passing the Mobile homes/Caravan site until you reach the bend where the jetty reaches out into the estuary you are there. The bend is the Elbow. There are a few deep holes within casting distance from the wall/rocks.
Alternatively walking east along the sea wall from the Lobster smack pub to the bend just past the fourth and last jetty will bring you to the same place.
That’s the place ok but a arduous walk with full kit from either direction. I have a pint in the pub and ask if I can leave my car in the corner of the car park they have let me on the times I have been there. I wouldn’t leave my car in the caravan site , my mate had his car broken into the last time we left it there. There is a pay car park at the bay end by the park but a bit further to walk.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I only ever use the car park at the pub as I launch my Yak from the Holehaven slip, it is my favourite and most regular launching point on the S/S.East coastline; the paddle round to Scars is quite pleasant although I only fish it if the weather prevents me from getting across to the Kent side. Had a few small Codling there on an occasion but very little else but Schoolies anywhere on the entire north bank from the pier to the Muckings in the West and from the Yak I have been able to fish every spot that you shore guys can only dream of getting close too. North bank and including the Leigh and Holehaven have never produced much over the past 6 years for me EXCEPT for the Muckings which can and has really produced. The south bank just outside the shipping lane from Allhallows west to the point in a heavy running tide rarely fail to produce for me in the 10 - 35 ft. Range, the deeper waters to 85 ft. (About the max) has rarely produced.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I only ever use the car park at the pub as I launch my Yak from the Holehaven slip, it is my favourite and most regular launching point on the S/S.East coastline; the paddle round to Scars is quite pleasant although I only fish it if the weather prevents me from getting across to the Kent side. Had a few small Codling there on an occasion but very little else but Schoolies anywhere on the entire north bank from the pier to the Muckings in the West and from the Yak I have been able to fish every spot that you shore guys can only dream of getting close too. North bank and including the Leigh and Holehaven have never produced much over the past 6 years for me EXCEPT for the Muckings which can and has really produced. The south bank just outside the shipping lane from Allhallows west to the point in a heavy running tide rarely fail to produce for me in the 10 - 35 ft. Range, the deeper waters to 85 ft. (About the max) has rarely produced.
I fear you’ve paddled past some of the best bass marks I’ve had in years the mate.

Had some cracking bass flicking rag baits in the jetty’s best about 5lb but loads around 2.5 to 3 lb fishing from my little sib

As far as fishing from the shore the drop is one of the only places the last view years I could go and catch codling yep your going to lose gear but beats whiting bashing

·
Registered
620 Posts
I fear you’ve paddled past some of the best bass marks I’ve had in years the mate.

Had some cracking bass flicking rag baits in the jetty’s best about 5lb but loads around 2.5 to 3 lb fishing from my little sib

As far as fishing from the shore the drop is one of the only places the last view years I could go and catch codling yep your going to lose gear but beats whiting bashing

Not saying there is no fishing; saying it does not compare to my prefered Marks.Used to fish the OJ Jetty with my boys as it always turned up a decent variety of fish that kept them well occupied....but I would not have fished it seriously myself although I have run into large shoals of decent fish showing on the Fish Finder between the piles but never caught much. I spent a lifetime slinging lead from the shoreline around Britain and had good and bad days and enjoyed every single minute but the versitility of the Yak has seen my beachcasters packed away & only brought out for occassional sessions with my boys.

P7310038.JPG

Had many soundings like the one below...don't know if they were Bass or Mullet although I picked up a few 1-2lb Bass from time to time on Prawn.
There were plenty of fish showing on occassions.

S01927.jpg

Met a couple of Lads that regularly fish under the Jetties Holehaven to Scars Elbow targetting Bass with Crab. Never still, continually on the move with the minimum of gear, backwards and forwards, non stop offering their baits as the tide rose in the shallow bays and amongst the pilings of those four jetties......now they used to pull some nice Bass but they worked hard for them. Met another doing similar in the flooding creeks around the end of Southend pier Eastwards who scored well too, stalking every flooding inlet but with plugs and racing the incoming tide.

Heard endless stories from locals of how it used to fish but I have had no great success but that says nothing. I only fish the North bank now if the weather keeps me there. Saying that the Record Angler fish, a wacking 68lb 2oz was caught from the shore in Canvey in 1967.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not saying there is no fishing; saying it does not compare to my prefered Marks.Used to fish the OJ Jetty with my boys as it always turned up a decent variety of fish that kept them well occupied....but I would not have fished it seriously myself although I have run into large shoals of decent fish showing on the Fish Finder between the piles but never caught much. I spent a lifetime slinging lead from the shoreline around Britain and had good and bad days and enjoyed every single minute but the versitility of the Yak has seen my beachcasters packed away & only brought out for occassional sessions with my boys.

View attachment 1124469

Had many soundings like the one below...don't know if they were Bass or Mullet althogh I picked up a few 1-2lb Bass from time to time on Prawn.

View attachment 1124471

Met a couple of Lads that regularly fish under the Jetties Holehaven to Scars Elbow targetting Bass with Crab. Never still, continually on the move with the minimum of gear, backwards and forwards, non stop offering their baits as the tide rose in the shallow bays and amongst the pilings of those four jetties......now they used to pull some nice Bass but they worked hard for them. Met another doing similar in the flooding creeks around the end of Southend pier Eastwards who scored well too, stalking every flooding inlet but with plugs and racing the incoming tide.

Heard endless stories from locals of how it used to fish but I have had no great success but that says nothing. I only fish the North bank now if the weather keeps me there. Saying that the Record Angler fish, a wacking 68lb 2oz was caught from the shore in Canvey in 1967.

Cheers

View attachment 1124469

Had many soundings like the one below...don't know if they were Bass or Mullet althogh I picked up a few 1-2lb Bass from time to time on Prawn.

View attachment 1124471

Cheers
Certainly are plenty of bass around the legs I’ve had more luck around the methane and scars jetty’s rather than the OJ. Anchoring up along side them then flicking head hooked rag in the legs

·
Registered
704 Posts
Th

View attachment 1124469

Had many soundings like the one below...don't know if they were Bass or Mullet although I picked up a few 1-2lb Bass from time to time on Prawn.

View attachment 1124471

Cheers
They might even be mackerel...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Th

Mackerel give a different and distinct signal return- these had to be Mullet or Bass and returns of that size indicate large fish-my money would be on Mullet. Southend pier is the closest to Canvey I have ever had Mackerel...and I have tried hard and long....it is my families favourite fish.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Th

View attachment 1124469

View attachment 1124471

Cheers
Mackerel give a different and distinct signal return- these had to be Mullet or Bass and returns of that size indicate large fish-my money would be on Mullet. Southend pier is the closest to Canvey I have ever had Mackerel...and I have tried hard and long....it is my families favourite fish.

I stand corrected. For what it is worth I have never had many bass from the OJ although rumour is the place is full of them. I suspect they prefer the shallower waters. I bet the area around two tree island is worth a go.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Th

I stand corrected. For what it is worth I have never had many bass from the OJ although rumour is the place is full of them. I suspect they prefer the shallower waters. I bet the area around two tree island is worth a go.

Fished it hard in the early days whilst I was getting to grips with Kayaking, that and the Leigh were my traning grounds. Saw the occassional shoal of Bass up by the Two Tree slip and the inlets and gullies on north Canvey saltings are thick with big Mullet but I have never caught much in the whole streach down to the pier although I tried hard & often enough. There is a massive hole at Chapmans Starboard buoy with an underwater cliff that drops from the Chapmans sandband down 80ft. and has an incredible bottom on the sounder, looks the b0llocks but it has thrown up little for me. None of the deep water has ever offered me much, but depths of between 10 - 35ft. on the Mid to South of the shipping lanes on the Blyth Sands, when the tide is running hard in or out, have produced incredibly for me over the years along with the Muckings and Hope point. (Keep in mind that with 16oz of lead straight down I don't get much in the way of weed problems--not to clever when the anchor ties go though) I don't explore so much now as I used to and 24/7 launching spots are VERY few and far between throughout Essex. ( I have walked over a mile of the sands dragging the Yak once....never... ever.... again)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Swantee, you getting out and about?? not seen a report for a while squire.

Was restricted to shore duties whilst they looked into a few health issues mate. Then the Conservatives realised I was over 70, and as they no longer help out with funerals let alone anyone sick & living past 45 years old I can apparently go paddling as much as I want and in any conditions, as long as I wear the nice lead lined Life Jacket they have been kind enough have delivered...I've said some mean things about them in the past but ...bless them....contrary to rumour they DO care.

Out soon...been flogging the Bird reserves with the boys awaiting results that will never materialise...cheers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Was restricted to shore duties whilst they looked into a few health issues mate. Then the Conservatives realised I was over 70, and as they no longer help out with funerals let alone anyone sick & living past 45 years old I can apparently go paddling as much as I want and in any conditions, as long as I wear the nice lead lined Life Jacket they have been kind enough have delivered...I've said some mean things about them in the past but ...bless them....contrary to rumour they DO care.

Out soon...been flogging the Bird reserves with the boys awaiting results that will never materialise...cheers.
Glad to hear it Squire. Fancy a local trip myself but tooooo much on.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Glad to hear it Squire. Fancy a local trip myself but tooooo much on.

Best of luck and the same to all that fish our stretch but according to the reports on here the estuary/river hasn't been/isn't fishing too clever again this year mate....nowhere is it seems.

Beginning to get the impression you only wetted the hull in Cornish waters these days?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts