World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to the Scillies end July/Aug- anyone know what I can take on the 'copter (rods etc.) and what to fish for and where?
thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Took a beachcaster on my honeymoon but that was by plane from Lands End airport.Buy yourself a cheap travel rod for about £50 , bought once and you have it for every holiday.They fit in a suitcase.When I went it was spinning for pollock most days as the place is absolutly full of them.There are no Bass on the Scillies.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Valley truckle supplies stock very cheap telescopic beach casters £15 - £20, was thinking the same for our trip over there ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
...could also consider fly fishing for the mullet.. a small light, spinning rod will suffice and it'll double up for some light spinning for pollock - you don't need to cast very far.
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fished there early October and had great fun spinning for mackerel although were initially trying for pollack and then float fishing for wrasse, which was great fun on light line with fish upto 4+lbs. Apart from spinners we only used barnacles off the rocks (not sure if that’s the correct name for them but there are loads to collect).

I took my carp rod with fresh water reel and found it ideal. The max you can get on the helicopter is 6ft but you are asked to protect your rods, as they don’t get any ‘special’ treatment. Just to be sure give the heliport a call to check they have not changed the size.

There is a sports shop on Tresco, which has a small selection of bits to keep you stocked up.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
we only used barnacles off the rocks (not sure if that’s the correct name for them but there are loads to collect)
They are called Limpets mate, and yes they can be a really good bait, we have had many a fine pollack and wrasse using these as bait float fished very close to the bottom around the Lands End area.

Oh and as for the Scilly's, take a spinning rod with lots of lures and spinners for the fantastic pollack fishing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
thinking of a trip to the scillies in summer too, spinning rod for me i think. just wandering about limpets, as used to use them as a kid for wrasse and always used to catch, do people generally use more than one on a hook? bait elastic? going to have a try this wkend.

will

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
thinking of a trip to the scillies in summer too, spinning rod for me i think. just wandering about limpets, as used to use them as a kid for wrasse and always used to catch, do people generally use more than one on a hook? bait elastic? going to have a try this wkend.

will
Hi pzwill, we use the biggest ones we can find and just hook through a couple of times and slide them up the shank leaving the point well clear, normally putting 2 on a hook. They are pretty tough and stay on very well, so no need for bait elastic unless you are trying to send it 200 yards!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My son goes to the Scillies he sends his rod carrier with oabout 3 beachcasters with a load of weights ect packed with it and sends it on the boat for about a fiver they will accept on tues an thus I think hope this is some help:boat:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts