World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Smith (Milkman of human kindness) asked me out today on his Orkney, possibly the last trip on this boat before he takes charge of a brand new Warrior 175. Todate, Jeff had not seen a double figure cod taken from the boat and our only goal was to remedy that matter. Armed with black lug, cuttle and squid, we left the marina about 8am and headed out to some rough ground only 4 miles distant where we have had plenty of rays and one or two decent cod in the past. The weather and sea conditions were superb and we set the hook anticipating an enjoyable day. It started well for Jeff with a nice spotted and two thornback rays. I was, as usual leading the way by skillfully snaring plenty of doggies, don't you just love them !!! With no cod or whiting in sight we moved a couple of times with no better results. After slack low water, we returned to the original mark and soon after, once the flood had began, I got that long awaited codknock which resulted in a nice plump 12 1/2 pounder. Jeff was delighted to see this fish landed from his craft and frankly so was I. Soon after, following a phone call from a fellow Orkney owner who had total battery failure, we assisted said owner by lending him a spare battery which allowed him to get safely back to port. We returned to the the spot of the first cod and soon after I landed a slightly bigger one and Jeff a nice undulate to complete an eventful day. Cod at last from Littlehampton, lets hope it's the start of a few more. All the best and thanks Jeff for a great day, cheers Rusty.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well done guys! Good news that cod are starting to show? Any channels?

We got a late start yesterday as I had a big party the night before :/..
Had a lot of bass on the reef.. Then tried a new mark selsey way for a cod and got plagued by smoothounds .. Go figure!

Chears martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.