World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Will it have an impact on foreign boats fishing the waters? There are so many good things that could be done but as you say there is too much sea and not enough cash to do them all.

Larger conservation areas, protection of breeding grounds (?), massive energy development (which should be financially self-sustaining) etc.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Great idea..... and one that our friends in Iceland decided on years ago..... However being in the European Union this may not make the impact that we would all like as our European rulers will ensure that any fishery/access "rights" are spread about the ever increasing number of EU states. Anyhting that improves the protection of nursery areas or even increases the amount of fallowed areas would be a worthwhile propostition. Any stringent changes would have to be monitored and overseen, so unless there is a drastic improvement in the fishery protection fleet and its funding I can't see any great changes for while yet!:g:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Well it sounds like a step in the right direction Ian,thanks for posting it up.I am sure you will keep us all well informed of any new developments :thumbs:

Catch up with ya next year in "Gods Country" :fishing1:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
As ian says dont get ur hopes up i remember back in sixties fishing loch long(like then what norwegian fjords are now) and 3 french trawlers came right up loch middle of winter night cleaned it out there was more fishery protection vessels then than now nothing done but 3 yrs back fishing stonehaven 5 mile wreck joined later with diving boat then fpv came in for close look so obviously they are more interested in potential drug trafficking than illegal fishing! But here's hoping i'll one day see a 46lb rod caught cod at stonehaven pier like i did in seventiies i wish!

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
As ian says dont get ur hopes up i remember back in sixties fishing loch long(like then what norwegian fjords are now) and 3 french trawlers came right up loch middle of winter night cleaned it out there was more fishery protection vessels then than now nothing done but 3 yrs back fishing stonehaven 5 mile wreck joined later with diving boat then!
Sorry but a wee correction, the trawlers that regularly hammed Loch Long back then were Scottish boats from Ballantrae not France.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
So when the scottish trawlers got within earshot of an angling boat they would speak french? Cunning bar stewards but we moored boat at arrochar for years and encountered many trawlers submarines sharks etc
Well I am only speaking from my experience, my family spent a hell of a lot of time, almost every weekend fishing on the loch from our own boat from the late 60ies on wards. Every trawler that we seen and know of being seen in the Loch came from the same place... Ballantrae

Out of interest where did you have your mooring ?

·
Registered
810 Posts
cant dispute the fact that french boats may have trawled the clyde sea lochs ,but I am 100% certain who the main culprits were as I have said before on this forum and I have to agree with davy that most of the offenders came from a lot closer to home and would have most certainly have spent the night tucked up in their own beds after doing their destructive best.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Jimbo,
cant dispute the fact that french boats may have trawled the clyde sea lochs ,but I am 100% certain who the main culprits were as I have said before on this forum and I have to agree with davy that most of the offenders came from a lot closer to home and would have most certainly have spent the night tucked up in their own beds after doing their destructive best.
even back then it was quite common to hear that the trawlers doing the damage were either Spanish or French, yet we only ever seen Scottish boats in there. It wasn't uncommon for the boats to come in and fish during the night, then have the brass neck to tie up at Arrochar pier during the day then trawl back out the loch that night.

I had a few "encounters" with the boats that would com up the loch at night with the nav lights switched off.. they weren't at all happy seeing someone else on the loch while they were about :yeah: On one memorable Night one of the trawlers ran aground on the point at Ardgarten.. that of course had nothing to do with me :icecream:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Recall catching really good cod off the shore at the Rhu Narrows back in the late sixties.That must have been before the trawlers "struck" :blink:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Gus,
http://www.arrocharheritage.com/HistoryOfArrocharPier.htm

Privately owned not the councils place to tell the owner to improve.
The last pic on that link is so saddening, to see the pier in that condition in heart breaking. I cut my sea angling teeth fishing from that pier and have a lot of fond memories of it. I remember my first ever allnighter back in 1971, my brother landed the Scottish Shore record Place of 5lb 8oz on his first cast of the night.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I worked for the Scottish Fishery Protection agency in the late 90s. We patrolled the waters around Scotland and is not an easy job to undertake. Given the vast expanse of coastline we have it is a very difficult undertaking.

There are a vast amount of both Scottish and foriegn boats working our waters. Not all are fishing legally. But it was my experience that boats were checked on a monthly basis. We checked their logs to esure they were fishing the right location and for the right species of fish for that location. Net sizes were also checked.

We checked foriegn boats more frequently and allowed the Scottish boats a bit of grace and although boarding them frequently, we checked foriegn more often

I have been at sea and arrested quite a few boats and all were foriegn boats.

SFPA have a data base of boats that fish our waters and through experience we know where these boats are for the majority of time. So as for policing being difficult, I agree, but not as difficult as made out.

Its like policing a football match, the police gather around the areas where the supporters are going to be. Fishing is the same and fishery boats know where the fishing grounds are. There will always be rogue fishing boats. But they are less of a problem nowadays as their catches are not so easily landed.

Unfortunately the current legislation isnt strong enough or good enough to stop boats fishing our most sensative areas. And a forieng boat can actually catch around 5% more than a British vessel fishing her own waters!

A complete and utter mess and only once we can polkice our own waters and give our own fishermen a level playing field it may improve

·
Registered
392 Posts
I used to be on the deep water protection boats i.e. the ones that patrol the outer limits of our 'empire'! Very scary times I have endured has to be said. Have encountered whaling ships coming into our waters to spanish french germany dutch norwegian infact you name them I have boarded them.

Its all down to politics and the end of the day and would agree that oil and windfarms are definatley a lot to do with these waters and not so much the fishing that its supposed to be about

G

·
0 Posts
I have received a few emails which suggest the 200 miles limit is more about expanded increase of revenue from offshore windfarms etc than fisheries.

Maybe some truth in it
It will have a minimal effect on fishing for now. Will impact the offshore industry and wind, wave tidal power plans more. The EU plan's for seperator grids will howeve,r if it goes through, impact on the fisheries. Not sure but heard that it may well stop scallop fishing if it is not ammended.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts