Going to Isle of Whithorne in July camping with my boat and wife,
any body been there and could tell me what bait is used,
so a couple of boats go out last year went port side after leaving slipway
like to know what to catch that way.

tommy

·
Registered
408 Posts
There are a host of species for you to go for out there. Probably the main one is tope in which case mackeral is the bait. I'm not certain about their habits in that precise location but I know that over towards Luce Bay the tope breed in the middle of July and can be quite fickle when it comes to taking baits. Other species you can target include pollack, rays, cod, mullet, wrasse, flatties...........bream are beginning to put in an appearance, bass, haddock, various species of dogs.....given decent weather you should be in for a really good time. When are you there? I'll be down that way around the 18th for a few days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help fish force, we are going to Whithorne on the 17th of July hope to see you there for a chat, will the mackeral be in then as last year the boats I so from Northumberland were going to catch them first, If you are there on the 18th July we have a alaska 500 with 70 hp suzuki hope to see you, we are camping at Burrowhead holiday village hope the weather is okay

Thanks Tommy

·
Registered
408 Posts
The mackeral are in now. I think for the first few days, at least, I'll be over towards the Mull Of Galloway as it gives a few more options in terms of launch sites in relation to the weather. If I make it round I'll have a look for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts