World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
as a fellow fisherman i was wondering if you lot could help us on a good fishing trip... you see myself and two mates are planning a trip from wales to go and stay with my bro in elgin but we want the journey up to take a few days stopping off at some great scottish sea marks ,so any advice on which fishing venue we should stop at would much appreciated ..

cheers guys
doogle

keep the dingly danglers dangling and you will catch a bliter

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A few questions you need to ask yourself doogle

Are you looking to fish boat or shore?
Do you have a fixed route you will be taking (eg via Edinburgh or Glasgow and then A9 after Perth (inland route) or A90 via Dundee and Aberdeen)?
What month will you be travelling?
What equipment will you be taking?

East coast of Scotland where I live is more known for winter fishing, but summer sport is small resident coldling, pollock to lures, dabs and flounder, mackeral in August etc etc.

West coast of Scotland can be very varied, and you can start from Dumfies and Galloway and fish all the way up seeing some beautiful scenery along the way.

Elgin is on the moray firth, which is not known for its sea fishing too much, but if you are there then head further east for the rock marks at places like Portnockie, Portsoy (and many others) where you should find Pollock, Wrasse and any other rock dwellers.

You have given yourself such a huge area to play with, it is only restricted by how many days you wish to spend travelling up Scotland and fishing.

You can choose to follow either East or West coast. East coast is more practical for driving, but I think West is probably better for summer fishing. West coast should give you doggies, spur dogs, thornbacks, mackeral, pollock, haddock (if your lucky) and several others (water is a few degrees warmer on the west, so different species are common).

A spinning rod with some lures (I use a lot of jellies) is a must for the pollock and such other predator species.

East coast bait fishing from rocks should be based with peeler crab and lug, and that will tempt the small resident codling of maybe 3-4lb max. More readily available mackeral/squid baits will get a few flatties and coalfish.

On the west coast, the fish based baits will probably be more successful due to the species caught there.

Hopefully - someone with good west coast experiece will add to this post.

F

·
0 Posts
I agree with what lewisteh has said to a certain degree. The west coast in the summer is excellent for pollock and doggies/rays. East coast pollock, bass and doggies are all readily available.

Eglin area is not great for fishing but i normally catch a good amount of flatties at Lossiemouth, Hopeman and Burghead (all within 10 miles of Elgin). If you fish off the rocks near to the lighthouse at Lossiemouth then pollock, coalfish, wrasse and cod should be able to be caught. If you intend to fish during the summer then naturally the sea trout will be running :cool:

West coast wise i have only really fished around the Kyle of Lochalsh and Ullapool so can only really say about them. If you are planning on going that far up the west coast then give me a shout on here and i shall tell you some marks.

A word on fishing shops in the Elgin area. There are two fishing shops in Elgin. One is on the main high street and personally i would stay away from him. His prices vary but he does not hand out advice willingly. Also i think he caters more for the freshwater fishing up here. The second is away on a side street and is run by an Irish guy called Des. He is a fantastic guy who will always point you in the right direction of where is fishing and what bait will catch at the time of year. His prices can be higher then mail order but i find that his help more then pays back for this. a word of warning about him though. If you go in for 5 mins make sure you aren't in a rush as he can talk the hind legs of a donkey :D

Give me a shout for when you come up and we could try and arrange a trip which might even take us through to Aberdeen area. There are always a few that are willing to have a get together over there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi guys
thanks for the advice the route i normally take to get there is up to glasgow then up the a9 then via perth,sterling then over the top at granton on spey but i would like a jourey that takes us about a week to get there up the west coast

F

·
0 Posts
doogle said:
hi guys
thanks for the advice the route i normally take to get there is up to glasgow then up the a9 then via perth,sterling then over the top at granton on spey but i would like a jourey that takes us about a week to get there up the west coast
If ya passing Grantown on Spey towards Elgin on the A95 then you will drive right by my house. Want the kettle on ready? :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flounder where you at then i know the area well ive drove up from here to hopeman many time my bro is at kinloss

F

·
0 Posts
i work 16 miles down the road at the other airbase. RAF Lossiemouth :D

But i live out towards Aberlour on the A95

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flounder my sister inlaw is at lossie shes in 617 my bro used to be in 617 aswell

F

·
0 Posts
I work on the mighty XV(R) which mean long hours and no decent detachments :( . Trying to get off it though onto an operational squadron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts