World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the early arrival of the mackerel and the sharp rise in water temp, I'm guessing, or rather hoping for an extended summer. the longer period of warmer water should with any luck bring some more exotic species like gars and triggers within reach in scottish waters.

I know it's almost an impossible task, but I'm setting out my stall for a garfish in scottish waters this year. I know ian b had one last year. anyone elso had any luck with them north of the border?

I'm thinking my best bet is around the SW in mid summer on one of the headlands with groundbait?

any suggestions welcome - PM me!

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

I know there have been quite a few taken from the Clyde over the years, esp by the guy's fishing for Sea trout. I also remember seeing them a few times off Arrochar pier.. but that wasnt yesterday :)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Have caught them from the relatively deep water in front of the Kirkcudbright military ranges. Caught them on very light float tackle with a tiny bit of mackerel on a size 8 hook fished only a couple of foot under the surface, in the hope of mullet. Suspect triggers are much rarer at present although the very odd one has been caught. Mate caught one at Ross point a few years back, and that is the only one that I know of on rod and line, although a few dead ones have been found on the shoreline. Down south in Devon they have become much more common in recent years, so possibly we may also see an increase during the summer months. I have no idea what would be the best set up or bait to target them with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With the early arrival of the mackerel and the sharp rise in water temp, I'm guessing, or rather hoping for an extended summer. the longer period of warmer water should with any luck bring some more exotic species like gars and triggers within reach in scottish waters.

I know it's almost an impossible task, but I'm setting out my stall for a garfish in scottish waters this year. I know ian b had one last year. anyone elso had any luck with them north of the border?

I'm thinking my best bet is around the SW in mid summer on one of the headlands with groundbait?

any suggestions welcome - PM me!
You just answered your own question perfectly in the last paragraph. Impossible - nothing like it. Do just as you said and you won't be disappointed.

I discovered this brilliant light line sport while ground-baiting for Mullet. Depending just where you did it in terms of current flow, direction and strength. On the hottest, brightest, sunny days we have had outstanding fun with BIG Gars and jumbo Mackerel from the rocks. A good constant slick of ground bait is an absolute necessity. If you have the time, working an area for DAYS with GB can give extraordinary results. Clear water with a bit of wind chop is best.

Just fish shallow 3-9 feet. Any deeper and you will start to get pestered with too many (millions of) small pollack etc.

Once drawn in on the slick. I experimented with many baits. The most successful for me was a fillet of small Sandeel, either float fished or free lined. I prepare the free lined on a size 4 silver hook (6lb line). With Polaroid glasses you can watch them zoom in on the fluttering EEL fillet as it drifts down. Then, prefer for the fun, it's brilliant and highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
i had one last year from greenock , could see a few of them swimming near the surface ,on the same night i had herring ( one) and loadsa mackies, it was around 8 pm late july .

they are a bugger to catch.

al

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They get caught feathering for mackerel from Cairnryan Pier from time to time. I have seen them caught, but not managed one yet myself. Also heard of them coming from the boats off Port Logan againg feathering for mackerel so it might be worth having a go in the Mull of Galloway area.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Had one last year, took a dexter wedge spun quite shallow (tide flooding over the rocks infront of me meant I had to crank the lure quickly to clear them)

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31351&highlight=garfish

p.s - was just looking at those pics from my report last year and remembered that we had groundbaited the area! (saw a tub of bait at my feet in the pic ;)) at lw we used groundbait (mackie, old worm, old crab, sandeel and bread) to bring in little fish but as the tide pushed us back I dumped a tub of bait at the front of the rock....never really thought about it at the time but maybe that helped a bit :fish:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanbks for all the replies gents.

Think I'll be targeting them off the head of the Mull of galloway in july with a big onion bag of shirvy and the mullet tackle.

thanks again

Dave

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Had a couple from the rocks at Isle of Whithorn.
Used a controller float, trace about 6 ft and small weight 1 ft above size 6 hook and a tiny piece of mackerel on the hook bend.
The trick with garfish is to keep the bait moving. Cast out, let bait sink then draw slowly to bring bait up to surface. Keep that up all the way back in. Don't let the bait stay still for more than a few seconds.
Once the bait has the attention of the gars draw it slowly until you feel the take - then give it a few seconds to get the bait into its mouth.
Use 10lb fluorocarbon hook length. A good gar has some mean teeth and quickly fray a lighter line. Check hook length after each fish.
As has already been said - groundbait helps a lot.
Gar-fishing is great fun!

If you are ever in tropical waters try for houndfish - look almost identical but I had them up to several pounds. Watch their teeth!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eye he needs that mask tae cover up his face :yucky: :p
Could well be that! :g:

or maybe he just dosent have the time to set up his own sci-fi based club and make up a silly motif to add??:giveup:

draw you own conclusione LOL

anyway - back to the fishing posts....................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts