World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys ever cough a smoothy on scottish soil i cought one a couple of years ago in bournmouth and i was wondering if they travel north

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it the same bait hermit crabs i cought mine on 15lb line good laugh but nowhere near as big as that photograph mine was only 4lb

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The most consitent marks for them are near Auchenlarie although there are a few decent marks over the Whithorn side near Garlieston.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The ones you get over there are only small though in comparison a five pounder is a decent fish. One thing i noticed is that peeler is the best bait, although down south apparently king ragworm and hermit crabs are.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ta guys i just fancy a break from the normal targets mibbe a good flatty bash or a go for smoothys or huss is on the cards

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The only place I've seen a bullhuss caught was on Ballantrae beach

·
Registered
818 Posts
Gordon luce bay and port logan, whithorn are teaming with bullhuss. Yu just have to know the marks.

Ryan thats my mission this year, bullhuss from the shore and also a go for tope itll be a laugh. Ive spoke to Alan and paul about a jedi trip down that way a few times over the next few months and try and see if we can get any so youll be coming with us

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Luce bay, around the Whithorn area teeming with bullhuss from the shore ? This is news to me, teeming with lesser spotted, at some marks, but not huss. Over the last 30 years fishing that area I have seen less than half a dozen bullhuss, and as well as pleasure angling from my caravan at Burrowhead, club competitions and over a host of open matches fished between Innerwell and PortWilliam, I've yet to see a huss weighed in. And that is from every single rock in those limits. My solitary one was nearly 13lb. from the blokin hole. They were much more common from the Kirkcudbright marks.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gordon luce bay and port logan, whithorn are teaming with bullhuss. Yu just have to know the marks.

Ryan thats my mission this year, bullhuss from the shore and also a go for tope itll be a laugh. Ive spoke to Alan and paul about a jedi trip down that way a few times over the next few months and try and see if we can get any so youll be coming with us
am running out that door sounds good daz me old cocker

·
Registered
818 Posts
I replied back to ticketty about the bull huss meaning from the boat as he has recently purchased new warrior 165.
Relating to a conversation I had with him the other day about him fishing from the boat etc.

I should have made this more clear.
Sorry for the confusion dab hand and keegy.
Although its a bit early to be fishing down that way for them yet I suspect in the usual boat marks.

Your right dab hand its the kirkcudbright shore marks is where youll get them.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
my boys had 7 bullhuss, or should i call them calf huss between them last week at brighouse

biggest only 3.5lb, but it's early doors yet....

also this 16lb 11oz thornback, if anyone has heard of a bigger one in the past 5 years can you let me know :notworthy

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can well tell the difference from the lesser spotted and them what a beautifuly marked brace thats a top thorny too

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Nice photos, good fishing, you are in bullhuss territory there. Good snap of Ross island lighthouse behind you.
we also had loads of LSD's dabs, codling and pin whitings and a long spined scorpion, the big one even got a codling on a float when trying for pollack

weather was fantastic, had to cover the wee fella in sunblock to stop him roasting, today he needs a set of longjohns and a thermal hat:crazy:

his 1st ever LSD, canny remember that last time I was THAT happy to see one of THOSE

we had a go up the cree on the saturday with lug and crab but only got dogs and flounders, though there was a couple of hounds and bass on other boats that w/e

1 - 20 of 23 Posts