World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through the new Seal Strangler magazine.

on the Shimano mission acomplished page - what looks like another dead porgie.

Isnt it time Sea Angler stopped showing these fish.

Accepted it's a cracking fish and well done to the angler, probably the scrap of his life.

but why kill such a majestic creature!

T

·
0 Posts
Fair enough but surely this fishing is sustainable in particular to sharks of that type,im not sticking up for or against anybody but what is the big deal if the skipper is earning a few bob out of it aswell, i think a few people dont like this guy and thats that sort of thing,no doubt i will be slated from the various cliques on here who my or may not agree but will just stick up for there circle at all costs but this subject is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Fair enough but surely this fishing is sustainable in particular to sharks of that type,im not sticking up for or against anybody but what is the big deal if the skipper is earning a few bob out of it aswell, i think a few people dont like this guy and thats that sort of thing,no doubt i will be slated from the various cliques on here who my or may not agree but will just stick up for there circle at all costs but this subject is just my opinion.
I may be wrong but I think porgies are critically endangered or something similar, I'm sure someone will know for sure and correct me if I'm wrong :fish:

EDIT: just found this, a quote from Ian Burrett in another thread....

There is no quota for sharks.

All the scientific bodies IUCN, MCS, FAO Shark Alliance etc etc are stating there should be a zero catch on Porgies because they are classed as critically endangered which is just one down from extinct.
So I'd be inclined to say that keeping these sharks to make a few quid is barbaric! :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2424315.ece

Three years ago a Cornish fisherman had a rare stroke of luck. Off the coast of the county, on his 40-foot fishing boat The Prevail, he encountered a large shoal of sharks. Their streamlined, spindle-shaped bodies and characteristic pointed noses told him this was the porbeagle, an ocean-going, cold-water relative of the great white shark.

This was lucky for three reasons. Firstly, large aggregations of porbeagle are increasingly unusual. Secondly, the porbeagle is the most valuable shark in the ocean, worth around £2 per kilo or up to £500 per shark to the fisherman. It is worth a lot more by the time it ends up on a plate in top restaurants as "veau de mer". This is not a fish you can buy in a chip shop...................

rest of the article on the link above.

That's why the Porgy needs to be left alone / released

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's absolutley disgusting to see a 'angler' or skipper killing a shark like that. If the guy knew the skipper was going to kill it then he should have cut his line before it could be landed. The whole boat party should be ashamed of themselves.
I wonder if any of them will be brave enough to own up to it if they are members.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
i dont like seeing kills in a magazine as it show the hobby in a different light,that thats all your in it for,when the true this we are in it for the fun and enjoyment,relaxation and the scenery.

i met a couple fishing ph pier last year,they had 3 cod under size gutted in a box,you'd be lucky to get a fish finger out of the three,the reason was the were fish,
have a nice day fools,

i catch but wont kill needlesly,unless its for the fishes own good.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i dont like seeing kills in a magazine as it show the hobby in a different light,.

I cant agree with that. Are we only to present a sanitised version of our sport to others. Are we going to pretend that we never kill anything?
All fishing is coming under increased threat, and if we try to pretend that its something other than it really is, then we can kiss our sport goodbye. I dont want to be using my fishing rods to grow runner beans on.
We catch fish, we kill them, not all of them but a significant percentage of them, and other people know we kill them.

Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
I cant agree with that. Are we only to present a sanitised version of our sport to others. Are we going to pretend that we never kill anything?
All fishing is coming under increased threat, and if we try to pretend that its something other than it really is, then we can kiss our sport goodbye. I dont want to be using my fishing rods to grow runner beans on.
We catch fish, we kill them, not all of them but a significant percentage of them, and other people know we kill them.

Bill
I'm very firmly in the nothing wrong with killing fish for your own consumption (and your ma, and your aunty down the street...) and believe if we didn't still do so we would be on far more dangerous ground with regard to the moral argument for our sport continuing.

But I don't like to see pictures of dead fish in magazines. For a few reasons.

1. It does wind up the antis a bit more seeing yet another picture of a living creature which has been "murdered" by us unfeeling anglers

2. The fish never look as good when dead and lying on the deck/ground/anglers arms, as they do when still alive.

But when I see a picture of a very rare shark species killed and butchered in the name of sport I really get angry. The skipper concerned should be ashamed. If it is the usual culprit he is simply proving yet again how short sighted and stupid he really is. Why folks keep fishing with him I do not know. He could make far more money by helping to conserve shark stocks in the North of Scotland and then marketing the sport properly than he ever does by killing 'em and selling the bodies. No better than a typically short sighted commercial (which lets face it is all he is really, catches fish and kills 'em to sell).

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
the boat in question we fished off 2 years ago,

we had a party of 12 all caught fish,but we wanted to take them with us (home)
we decided we would only take what we needed,so the trip was fine until 10 mins from port skipper told us we had to fillet all fish before we could take em into harbour,now the skipper new we couldnt gut them in this time so he sat there with a smug grin. :nonono: knowing he had a decent sale.

when we docked one of our troop jumped off said he would source some box's,

skippers grin grew bigger.:marinheir

said party member returned,with the biggest box at the harbour,a 40 tonne fish truck going to aberdeen that day,all fish unloaded,and filleted placed on ice,and ready for collection next day,

skippers face was a picture,:laugh:

his chin dropped when he saw the truck.
oh the joy of having a fish merchat transport manager with us.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
the boat in question we fished off 2 years ago,

we had a party of 12 all caught fish,but we wanted to take them with us (home)
we decided we would only take what we needed,so the trip was fine until 10 mins from port skipper told us we had to fillet all fish before we could take em into harbour,now the skipper new we couldnt gut them in this time so he sat there with a smug grin. :nonono: knowing he had a decent sale.

when we docked one of our troop jumped off said he would source some box's,

skippers grin grew bigger.:marinheir

said party member returned,with the biggest box at the harbour,a 40 tonne fish truck going to aberdeen that day,all fish unloaded,and filleted placed on ice,and ready for collection next day,

skippers face was a picture,:laugh:

his chin dropped when he saw the truck.
oh the joy of having a fish merchat transport manager with us.
I have to say that sounds unusal to me. I've been fishing on that boat for about 5 or 6 years now and that has never once happened to me. You can't gut or fillet fish in the harbour though. We've offered fish to him for his supper which he sometimes takes, the only thing he really wanted once was a squid one of the guys foul hooked. I think he could see the rings in batter before it hit the deck lol.

I can say for a fact though that he's never once implied that to me in the must 40 odd trips I've been out.

Thats my experience of him though.

I've just learned its a £1000 fine for gutting in the harbour. A few coalies for sammy the seal is ok though :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Been reading through the new Seal Strangler magazine.

on the Shimano mission acomplished page - what looks like another dead porgie.

Isnt it time Sea Angler stopped showing these fish.

Accepted it's a cracking fish and well done to the angler, probably the scrap of his life.

but why kill such a majestic creature!
Like it or not, that is what fishing is about?

Fair enough but surely this fishing is sustainable in particular to sharks of that type,im not sticking up for or against anybody but what is the big deal if the skipper is earning a few bob out of it aswell.... [snip]
Simply put, if the suggestion is that a charter boat skipper is landing fish without a licence then he/she leaves themselves open to a hefty fine, if caught. On an another level if the angler is keeping his/her catch be it Cod or Shark, for personal consumption, then where do we stand? Many sea anglers fish for the 'pot' after all. Does rod & line fishing outweigh the landings from say commercial fisheries?

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2424315.ece

Three years ago a Cornish fisherman had a rare stroke of luck. Off the coast of the county, on his 40-foot fishing boat The Prevail...
The antics of Nutty Noah were short lived and he has gone back to hunting Pilchards :yucky:

It's absolutley disgusting to see a 'angler' or skipper killing a shark like that. If the guy knew the skipper was going to kill it then he should have cut his line before it could be landed. The whole boat party should be ashamed of themselves.
I wonder if any of them will be brave enough to own up to it if they are members.
Not seen the article but will buy SA tomorrow (yawn)! :) Can anyone shed some light on actual scientific data of Porgie survival rate when the fish is trailing a wire?

there was three killed on that day the one in the sea angler was the smallest! the biggest was about 250lb
Was that in the article also?

I can imagine landing Porgies is a tricky operation in the Firth during the winter months given our seas and the size of the fish involved, therefore there are bound to be fatalities when angling - Bottom line is if you don't want it then don't do it because if you do hook up then it won't be a nice little 90 pounder but something that will need a lot more careful handling.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
how come everything you have to say you are looking for a reaction tarponator or tamponeater as big al calls you give it a rest im only saying this because your lastr couple of threads you have been on you where fishing for trouble you seem to have a problem but be a man dont use these threads

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
why are people allowed to fish for them ?if they are under threat ?is there no rules the same as skate?.whats the point killing them anyway who eats them? what sort of a market is there?sorry for all the questions but the wee man hasnt gave me a spare minute all weekend with constant questions about anythin and everything and i think im a bit traumatised

·
Registered
19 Posts
I fish on that boat for porbeagles and when you catch a shark it is always up to the angler what they want if they want it released or it taken onboard. at the end of the day its the anglers fish. The only time the skipper makes the decision is when the hook is in the gut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
why are people allowed to fish for them ?if they are under threat ?is there no rules the same as skate?.whats the point killing them anyway who eats them? what sort of a market is there?sorry for all the questions but the wee man hasnt gave me a spare minute all weekend with constant questions about anythin and everything and i think im a bit traumatised
In a lot of areas around great britain numbers are low, but there are regional variations. over the past ten years there has been a big increase in porbeagles caught out of scrabster the average size has increased this is due to the stop of commerical fishing for them in the north there is not one boat that commericaly targets them. They are great to eat better than tuna that is why the anglers will take the odd one if they are badly hooked.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.