World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read the latest Issue and a few back-issues its seems to me that the journalists seem to quite often promote Daiwa products.

A glaring example was a feature a few months ago about plugging for bass, the whole feature was based around the use of DAIWA lures and rods.

Now in this months mag, there is a letter asking about a rod similar to an ABU Atlantic 484 from the 70's, and they again recommend a DAIWA product.

Is it just me or is the magazine now just promoting products for a major manufacturer?

G

·
Why do you think no - one buys it !
Rightly or wrongly 50,000 people a month buy it.

Not saying that will last forever, but it is by a huge margin the current most popular sea angling magazine of paper based origins in the UK at the moment.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Rightly or wrongly 50,000 people a month buy it.

Not saying that will last forever, but it is by a huge margin the current most popular sea angling magazine of paper based origins in the UK at the moment.
Tom are you sure that is 50,000 a month buying and not 50,000 readers? An entirely different thing. The stats can be misleading.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Suppose we've got to find out about Daiwa's products some how. Their website has been down for nearly 5 months, despite the claim on it that the new site will be 'live early 2007'. They do make some great products, but someone in their marketing department needs a rocket up them!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
They can't even send me a new bail arm for an emcast reel, so I expect setting up a new website might challenge their limited capabilities!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I had the pleasure of spending a day with Mel Russ at Sea Angler last year, to see how the mag was put together, and maybe get a job. (I didn't get it!) I could detect no bias towards any particular tackle company and we talked about the mag for most of the day. From reading it in the past, I'd have said that they were sponsored by Penn, but maybe that was just Neil Mackellows influence as he works for Penn (I know he's gone now). Daiwa make good stuff. Maybe that's why they promote it??
They do sell over 50,000 a month by the way.
As far as the website goes, well there's only 4 people working on the mag at present, (apart from photographers and freelancers).Jeff Prest doesn't seem to have been replaced yet (thats why I was there), so until he is replaced its unlikely that they will have the manpower to sort out the website unless its contracted out.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Never trust the magazines, i aswell have my suspicions about loyalty to certain favoured manufacturers. I find word of mouth amongst the lads in the tackle shop and on the beaches is the best source of information. These are the kind of people who tell it as it is, if its naff they will say so. Everything comes out in the wash eventually.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I had the pleasure of spending a day with Mel Russ at Sea Angler last year, to see how the mag was put together, and maybe get a job. (I didn't get it!) I could detect no bias towards any particular tackle company and we talked about the mag for most of the day. From reading it in the past, I'd have said that they were sponsored by Penn, but maybe that was just Neil Mackellows influence as he works for Penn (I know he's gone now). Daiwa make good stuff. Maybe that's why they promote it??
As far as the website goes, well there's only 4 people working on the mag at present, (apart from photographers and freelancers).Jeff Prest doesn't seem to have been replaced yet (thats why I was there), so until he is replaced its unlikely that they will have the manpower to sort out the website unless its contracted out.

Hi Where did you get that sales info from?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never trust the magazines, i aswell have my suspicions about loyalty to certain favoured manufacturers. I find word of mouth amongst the lads in the tackle shop and on the beaches is the best source of information. These are the kind of people who tell it as it is, if its naff they will say so. Everything comes out in the wash eventually.
Hear Hear,well said that man.:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
To be fair to all the publications, they can only review tackle that is sent to them!! If a manufacturer decides to spend money, as part of their marketing strategy, on submitting items for review to a magazine, you can hardly blame the magazine for reviewing them. As far as bias goes, the manufacturers will hardly submit items that their market research shows are unlikely to get good reviews!!

Just take such reviews with a pinch of salt and remember that there are always alternatives!!! Ask here, other anglers on the beach and in your local tackle shop.

·
Banned
820 Posts
To be fair to all the publications, they can only review tackle that is sent to them!! If a manufacturer decides to spend money, as part of their marketing strategy, on submitting items for review to a magazine, you can hardly blame the magazine for reviewing them. As far as bias goes, the manufacturers will hardly submit items that their market research shows are unlikely to get good reviews!!

Just take such reviews with a pinch of salt and remember that there are always alternatives!!! Ask here, other anglers on the beach and in your local tackle shop.
And the Tackle Magazines, the Chornoiclers of the time went out to meet the manufactures with open hands because they were mightily impressed by the size of their promotional budgets. And the manufactures said to the Chroniclers, " Have this product for free and this holiday for free....take your family along.":kissing:

And the Chroniclers were pleased and were influenced greatly - and did report good things about the manufacturers products in their Chronicles.:clap2:

And the readers, swayed by the good things written in the Chronicles, did turn their blind eyes towards the manufacturers.....Blindly they said " Yes we will buy your products and yes we will pay your prices....:clap3:

And please can we wear your logo on our tunics?"
:notworthy

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Tom are you sure that is 50,000 a month buying and not 50,000 readers? An entirely different thing. The stats can be misleading.

Hi Where did you get that sales info from?
Hi thanks kind of flies in the face of t0ny's post saying no one buys it if accurate?
:blink: :blink: :blink: What are you actually trying to say as you seem to have swung sides a bit there mate:g: :g:

The way i see it is if you dont like whats in the mag dont buy it:g: We all know sea angler has more pages of ads than tsf, so if you dont want to read about them dont buy it. But if you do like the tackle tests then it can be a good read. Me, myself would rather just come on here and ask people who i know, or people who will know,about certain products and as for venues to fish, if a mag is published over a month before the date on it how can you go by that. If you need to know anything you can get it all off this site:clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
477 Posts
And the Tackle Magazines, the Chornoiclers of the time went out to meet the manufactures with open hands because they were mightily impressed by the size of their promotional budgets. And the manufactures said to the Chroniclers, " Have this product for free and this holiday for free....take your family along.":kissing:

And the Chroniclers were pleased and were influenced greatly - and did report good things about the manufacturers products in their Chronicles.:clap2:

And the readers, swayed by the good things written in the Chronicles, did turn their blind eyes towards the manufacturers.....Blindly they said " Yes we will buy your products and yes we will pay your prices....:clap3:

And please can we wear your logo on our tunics?"
:notworthy
BRILLIANT!!!
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Banned
600 Posts
Hi Guys,

I dont want this post to be taken as defomatory in any sense before I start.

If the mods feel it is in any way, then please delete it!

As I said in one of my other threads, I used to work for EMAP from 1996 to 2000. In that time I worked mainly on Sea Angler Mag and Improve Your Course/Angling Times/Match Angling Plus (No longer!), on the ad sales side of things.

That was when the wages were through the roof ridiculous (VERY good!!!) that we, the staff, got into our banks on pay day!!! And that was even without the commissons that we got when we hit our targets each month!!! Even back then, the 'Pirks' (Charter Trips, Tackle, Etc) of the job far outweighed anything else that we could get anywhere else!!!

But then, In 2000, EMAP then decided to merge all the sporting titles - Angling, Golf, Football, Moutain Biking, Etc mags into one department and all hell broke lose with the staff as they lowered wages, cut back on positions, etc, and that was the end - oh them were the days of free lunches, parties at Ally Pally every May paid for by EMAP, 'All Day Meetings', Freebies - all gone but not forgotten!

It even got to the stage of me and one of the Ad Managers used to spend all weekend fishing together and then go out for nights on the town EVERY weekend without fail, nothing else mattered, but that soon stopped when the uproar started. A true friend that was very sadly lost!

The only people to come out on top of all that change were the departmental directors as usual!!!!

I subsequentley left of my own accord after rowing over £850 that was owed to me in bonuses that I never got to this day, leaving a VERY bitter taste with me about EMAP. I have over the past couple of years benn offered a couple of positions back with the company but blatantly refused them on the spot!!

I know back then there was a lot of corruption going on, but I dont know about now to be honest.

I do keep in touch with 2 old friends that still work there but on different titles, and they say that the company although moving forward fast with the way that technology is going, but the company itself is going down hill and losing many of it's 'Key Accounts' due to the way the staff are pushed into corners with customers, and targets to be met, etc.

Back then, a major manufacturer was almost sponsoring the magazine as they had every 'spare' page with an advert, editorial, mention on it, to the stage where there was a VERY heavy bias on that manufacturers products, it almost seems the same now to a degree. Like I said, nothing changes except who the bias is towards, and this has been mentioned before in this thread with another major manufacturer taking on the new bias.

I know the mags have to earn the money somewhere and somehow, but to have the reviewers blatantly saying this is what NEEDS to or MUST be in your rod bag or box rather than having an independant review done on the product is bordering on them saying there is nothing better out there to be purchased, etc. What happened to free choice?
Why cant they get lower priced products reviewed as much so that us anglers on the lower wage brackets get a fair chance?
The way the reviews are done really get my back up and have done for a long time.

The other sea fishing mag doesnt wantanly 'PUSH' certain manufacturers goods in your face all the time does it? It's also not so heavily biased is it? Why do you think more of us read that one?

I personally think that Sea Angler is geared to the top end of the sea fishing marketand always has been, it is aimed at those who do nothing but spend thousands on gear just because it is there to have and not because they want to use it for it's correct purpose, merely just to show off!
It's all well and good being able to afford that kind of gear and show off with it, but there are those of us who simply cant afford to buy it or justify having it, but what Sea Angler says must be had - must be had then, right eh?!
This annoys me beyond belief!!!

The mag sales stats stood at round 48,000 2 years ago, and that was READERS.......NOT sales! They reckoned that for every single who bought the mag, then at least 1 of their mates read that copy when it was passed onto them.
Have a look at the ABC (Audit Bureau Circulation) website to see what it is now.

Oh, and the problems that we were having with the customers subscriptions, Well, I wont start on that one now. That will need a page to itself!

Right, thats it, rant over!
I hope that this has been put across in the correct manner and given you an insight. Like I said to start with, I do not want to cause offence with this post, or cause trouble and if any of the mods feel that it has or will do, then please delete it!

Thanks Guys.
Rich

·
Banned
820 Posts
:blink: :blink: :blink: What are you actually trying to say as you seem to have swung sides a bit there mate:g: :g:

The way i see it is if you dont like whats in the mag dont buy it:g: We all know sea angler has more pages of ads than tsf, so if you dont want to read about them dont buy it. But if you do like the tackle tests then it can be a good read. Me, myself would rather just come on here and ask people who i know, or people who will know,about certain products and as for venues to fish, if a mag is published over a month before the date on it how can you go by that. If you need to know anything you can get it all off this site:clap2: :clap2:
I'm not trying to say anything mate? Just curious on the sales figures and how they were obtained. I find the answers on numbers questionable.
What was your problem with me asking that?

I didn't say I liked or disliked what was in the magazine so not sure why you are telling me not to buy it?

Lastly I don't agree with you that the forum is the place for all info? Books I like reading them!
The forum is at times judging by some of the posts, is hardly the font of sea angling knowledge.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts