World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to sea angling and i'm visiting isle of whithorn area 0n the 24th september for a week, just wondered if anyone had any tips on angling in this area, type of bait and some good accessible marks. Best time to fish high tide low tide etc.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi new to this site . ive fished this area alot if you go to caravan park there are plenty of marks . i fish low water up . go to the harbour oppersit the slipway the path runs behind the post office along the field few good marks clear ground hope this help good look

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi waterfish,
beautiful bit of countryside & a lot of the shoreline just screams pollack & wrasse!

one spot worth trying is the point out to the left of the harbour in front of the white navigation tower

other than jelly or metal lures give a string of feathers or hokkais a chuck and retrieve using sink-n-draw ;)
it's really quite rocky so travelling light with one hand free is a good idea

from that point coming back round to the right towards the harbour it gets easier, there is a bed of kelp/weed that extends for approx 30-40yds or so beyond the rocks with clean ground beyond

never fished the harbour so I can't say what it's like but seems popular

Stein Head is another mark there that's probably worth checking out, it's just a wee bit north of the Isle of Whithorn and marked on your ordnance survey map

should be crackin fishing around that area at the moment with the south westerly winds that have been prominent this last while

just found a couple of pages of info on the harbour front here and Stein Head that will hopefully come in useful for you :thumbs:

good luck and hope you have a good one, tight lines :thumbs:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Waterfish, Esskie has given you some good info and poiters, but you would be well advised to put a query in the Scotland section or better still iuse the "search" button as this will give you even more information. As Esskie says, beautiful bit of the country, enjoy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As already mentioned there are cracking marks at the caravan site. Try float fishing with rag- mackerel belly. Feather some mackerel and return during darkness (not alone) and try for the conger! I've had them to nearly 20lbs!! Use an uptider rod or beefy beachcaster, you will need to give them a lot of stick to get em out, but great fun mate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, sorry I have not replied before. there's some good hints and tips, I'll fish at the marks mentioned and try your bait suggestions. Thanks again much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts