World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Hondy. I have read the article although this will represent a significant step forward in recognising that sea anglers and the industry supported by sea anglers are an important share holder in the sea&#39;s surrounding our coast.

I have some very large concerns.

1: Is this just another source of revenue for the goverment or just a way of paying for a current service such as the fisheries patrols.

2: How will the policy be enforced?

3: What advantages do we have for this fee, they could not hope to manage the sea in the same manner as they do freshwater fisheries as sea fish are subject to huge factors that vary their distribtion and size.

4: What effect will this money have on the quality of fish and the amount?

5: Why does the proposal only charge the comercials a small fee of around £1000 surely it should be more as they earn from the resource, contribute less to the economy and cause significantly more damage to the sea and the population of its creatures.

So before this is law, I think the government needs to consider this proposal in more depth and consider revising its policy.

Also we as shareholders need more information on what we get for the money, its sole purpose, what effect it will have on the quality of our sport and how this licensing will be enforced.</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I wouldn&#39;t be against the licence plan if its a way forward. If it enforce some sort of law along the shore lines, with rubbish yobs and illegal netters, with fish stocks being promise then that half the battle won.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I agree with you shore, but as for the rubbish we as brits are the most disrespectful litter dropping idiots in the whole of europe and it winds me up every time I see people leaving their crap behind any where as there is no need for it and guaranteed they have an excuse such as no bins. Half the problem is the majority of the population couldnt give a #### on the state of our countryside.

It would give me great pleasure to be able to go into their back yards and drop litter and see how they like it. As you can see by mentioning litter you have really got me going and as much as I do not like to say it we should be more like the Germans in the way we treat our environment.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Well, it does look to me like a money making scheme to me, I can&#39;t see how they would police the harder rock marks. It would work on piers etc I suppose - I reckon the money would just be used for monitoring the stocks, presumably with the thought to "season" certain fish - it&#39;s not like someone is going to try and stock the sea up from farm fish...:p</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Licences are going to be a necessary evil I am afraid.

Quite simply No pay = no say  I agree that it&#39;s not how the world should work, but we gotta face facts, if we are not willing to pay then our opinions will not be considered. &nbsp;

A licence is the only way that recreational sea anglers are going to have a real say in fish stock conservation measures.  For once you have to admire the Americans who have proven that this works.

Enforcement is not an issue - they are able to enforce it on river banks by simply imposing heavy fines on a few that do get caught.  If the cost of getting caught is high enough then people will buy one no matter how remote the possibility of being caught is.  Would you take a chance if the fine was £1000 ?

I for one would be happy to pay £22 if it means the chance of being able to enjoy sea fishing for years to come. Put aside for a minute your pessimism of any such scheme and ask yourself - "How much is sea fishing worth to me ?" &nbsp;I feel sure that you will all value it much higher than a mere £22 per year. &nbsp;Unfortunately anglers seems to have a great ability for moaning but hardly any enthusiasm at all for taking action. &nbsp;Time to stand up and be counted.

While on the subject: I would urge all sea anglers to support NFSA, BASS + SACN.  At the moment the future of our sport is being protected by the actions of a few dedicated individuals - actions that go unnoticed by most sea anglers.  My deepest thanks and support to them.</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts