World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

What are your views on "Sea Angling Magazines"?

Up until recently I subscribed to "Sea Angler" and "Total Sea Fishing" and bought "Boat Fishing" as and when.

Due to the biased articles written over the years by the same contributers I cancelled my subscriptions and now only buy on occasions. Time after time some articles in Total Sea Fishing were completely out of date and contained wrong information. The classic example was the review on the Gemini Uptide Rods which had been withdrawn from the market at least a year before.

Your comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
568 Posts
I admit to buying SA and TSF purely out of habit - most of my reading time is spent looking all the ads dreaming about all the things I want to buy. Not having a local tackle shop worthy of the name means that 90% of all my tackle is bought mail order. I am probably one of the few people who doesnt complain about all the ads :)

Apart from being a source of fishing tackle for me, the mags are mostly for entertainment. Personally I find very little in the way of useful information. Not that I would be critical of the mags for this because there are only so many things you can say about fishing before you start repeating yourself. I am sure that years ago when I was starting out such articles were of great benefit to me.

Upon reflection, I do have a couple of gripes about the mags:

1) PICTURES OF DEAD WRASSE

2) The south east biast (just like most other forms of UK media - take the BBC weather forecast as an example - nice day in London and the forecaster is besides themself with joy even if the rest of the country has been dull/wet/windy)

3) PICTURES OF DEAD TOPE

4) There is far too much ammunition in angling magazines that the anti angling brigade can use against us. For example, pictures of dead fish (that are not going to be eaten) in back gardens. Makes me sick. I regularly complain by email to the editors - guess what, no response.

5) PICTURES OF DEAD FISH

6) I also believe that the magazines could do much much more to be a driving force behind conservation issues. It is after all in their long term best interest, and those of their advertisers. Unfortunately businesses generally operate with short-medium term strategies.

7) PICTURES OF MORE DEAD FISH

Right, that'll do for now - I will climb down of my soap box

Thank heavens for t'internet for angling info (admitadly there are also pics of dead fish in back gardens to be found)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
10 out of 10 to the Manx Fisher. We all agree with the sentiments of dead - usually uneaten fish. It has always amazed me how many photos involved green grass, car parks or houses in the background in the angling press.

Most of us these days can afford to buy bait, tackle etc etc - so why not add even the cheapest disposable camera to the list of must have tackle we need to take. Take a photo at the venue - then throw the fish back, if you want to eat it - no problem - eat it. But do not kill just for a photo later on. As sea fishers we all started off eating our catch - now we do it for sport and the dinner table.

Do not take that expensive digital camera with you if you don't want to, lets face it, we usually stink of bait (or hopefully our catch) if we are taking photos of our fishing buddies, so take something cheap. Why ruin an expensive camera after all.

I do still subscribe to Sea Angler, but I can't help feeling that its readers would be far better asking for advice on this forum than some of the questions placed in the pages of their mag. I would rather see more pages covering marks around our coast, rather than pages repeating the same questions every three issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must say I agree with lewisteh, I have picked up far more information from this and other sites than I have from the last 5 or six sea angler mags I have bought. Still havn't manged to catch much mind you :) but I will keep trying till I do.

B

·
0 Posts
Having started fishing last summer I subscribed to both SA and WSF when I realised I was hooked into this. Its like any learning curve so I read what people use where and how they use what, bait etc. and other tips. I knew nothing about fishing with rods or in the UK so without these, I'd have been lost. Baits and rigging are the main themes I follow in the mags.

But I also found the adverts helpful, especially in saving money as I progressed, but often not enough information in a condensed form for an average 'beginner' to start off from.

Thats when I found the WSF site and Forums. I got a lot of good advice here and on the forum (I got my best tackle advice on this forum!), and chose to listen to it with no regrets. Topped these off with some free casting lessons (thanks to SA) and bought some videos, books etc (not difficult as I am a book collector by hobby)... but I doubt I would end my subscriptions anytime soon. Still need to catch fish and every page gives me something new !.. ;-)

I agree about the DEAD FISH in the back yard photos though, particularly of Wrasse. We take only what we will eat. Everything else returns pronto in respect.

Best
Izzy

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Beefcake,

You would be better investing your money in a good sea angling book rather than a subscription to a sea angling magazine. A good book will give you more information than a magazine. All you ever need to know about rig making ect. would be contained in the book and not spread over at least half a dozen magazines.

One of the most important thing you must learn, and that is how to tie a good knot. I always use the Double Grinner, it is easy to tie and will never let you down, and not only that, it can be used for practically everything. There are many other knots that you will have to use for different occasions, but these will come in time.

Before buying a book have a look in your local library, it must have a good selection in the sea angling section. If not, then ask them to get some for you. That way you will save even more money to spend on your tackle.

Hope this helps for now.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Could'nt have put it better myself, you will always learn a lot more from books than the mags.

In my opinion the best book ever written on sea angling is Inshore Fly Fishing - By Lou Taboury

OK its all about saltwater fly fishing in the states but the detail in which he goes into how to actually read the water to locate fish is incredible, I bought my copy from Amazon.co.uk and it has opened up some great local marks to me that i would not have bothered looking at before.

Portland Bass Hunter

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Some good points raised above. I too buy the usual suspects in the vain hope that something new/interesting crops up. To be fair I do get a few ideas from time to time. However, the pioneer days of modern sea fishing methods seem to have gone as far as the magazines are concerned. Back in the 70's/80's there seemed to be a lot more thought provoking articles. The best series recently has been in TSF where Daz became a match fisherman. The experts tips on presentation and tactics are very interesting and have made me think a lot more about what the fish and my bait is doing.

Rhod.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi Guys I only have Boat Fishing Monthly as Jim Whippy does make an attempt to keep up with the times and there a fewer ads at least we can be assured that the people who write in BFM are up to speed as most of them are in the England Teams, The rest of the mags just trot out the same c--p year on year The other paper I like is Sea Angling News which gives in depth reports from around the country and runs a few comps It can be found free in some tackle shops. Still thats the press of today and we have a choice buy or not to buy?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I agree 100% with Manx fisher about seeing pictures of dead fish that probably dont get eaten. My advise to anyone who wants to be pictured with thier "fish of a lifetime" is to take a camera along with you then the fish can be realesed alive and well.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i agree with rhod man about the match angling features in tsf.yhe rest is ok but very repetitive.
i was told by one of their contributing authors that tsf only use in house writers now so all the articles are written in the same stylethat is why its becoming a bit bland.so in the future it will probably become even more repetitive
but it still pi**es allover sea angler
golden grey mullet dec
scottish cod jan
golden grey mullet mar
scottish cod apr
and so on and so on.

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I buy and read the magazines during lunch-breaks (and sometimes work-time!) with other mad-keen fishermen. I have found “some” of the information useful and I too dream of the perfect kit collection.

However, The WSF and the forums provide me with in-depth information, opinions and great contacts, invaluable!

Like many others I too am dismayed to see the photo galleries with unwarranted dead and mis-treated fish.

Another hobby, passion, obsession etc, of mine is keeping and breeding tropical and marine fish. Some people tell me this is a conflict of interest, wrong!!!

The key words for me are care and conservation. I am dismayed when I see bin liners full of Portland Bass being dragged across car parks or beaches awash with post-match catches. Believe me it is not only angling that suffers from welfare problems. The aquatic trade has many re-occurring issues and individuals who seek personal and monetary gains.

However, angling seems to receive greater attention from the “anti-brigade”. I’ve seen anglers physically assaulted and pushed into rivers, (which just baffles me). Let alone the prospects of government intervention that could change our sport forever.

Conservation really is the end game for both commercial and sports angling (in all forms), for any long-term future. Like the guys have said, “don’t give them the ammunition”.

I’m in no way preaching, but this above anything else just makes my blood-boil.

Like many others, I’m just a fisherman who just’s wants to fish.

I just can’t understand what magazine editors must be thinking, let alone some of the charter skippers and match organisers.

Tight lines as always, “Lofty”

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just as my user name indicates, i am one of the ever growing people that gets hooked by this wonderful pastime.

Being of middle years I have missed a lot that, this fishing melarkie has to offer!
My first fishing session was with a pal that has some 42years under his belt, and speaks with a gargon that (at that time) went right over my head.......~*!)?

In fairness to him with his rod in hand, the sea to his front me must have forgoten that i didnt come from planet ZOG......

Because the words like "rig, trace, lug,and pennel were total alien to me!!!
And I think im off above average intelligence...
Not giving a single inkling to him, that I was lost I went stright to the newsagent in search for some kind of fishing book.

Sea Angler,......thats the one handed over my cash and found a park bench and began.......

I honestly enjoyed it every single page, armed with a new (albeit) small understanding of fishing terms my next days fishing was even better than the day before, i now knew what a mackrel was ment to look like...........from that month i have had the mag deliverd to the door.

I have read all the posts that have coverd this thread and i do to a point agree with near all of them, but felt that I had to reply in defence to the Sea angler
it has (and still is up to a point) a text book that i read and take reference from.
like most things in life some things are of interest some things are not, the subject of pics " dead fish" now thats a hard one i have flicked through a number of past copies your right lots of fish pics but are they all dead.......?

I enjoyed this thread very much indeed

all the very best

Russ

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Now that I think about it, the bits I go to straight away when I get Sea Angler each month are.

How my part of Scotland is fishing at the moment (usually get 1 to 2 sentences about some mark 50 miles away)
Young rods photo page (cause my son may be featured at some point)
Readers letters (cause it is a bit like learning from a forum)
Then (unbelievingly) its the tackle shop adverts (do some dreaming)
Then the editorials and features.
Finally, and this is hardly ever - the tackle reviews about the latest rods etc. (cause I am not John Holden or Neil Mackellow).

I am sure that this web site will definately stop me from renewing my subscription to Sea Angler at some point in the near future. This is as I get more in the way of catch reports, more advice, not all of you can cast to the horizon so your a bit like me, you are not all sponsored and given the best of kit every other week. Honest reviews!!!! The content on the main site here is excellent - and you can find what you need quickly (rather than leafing through 4 years worth of old mags to find a mark you saw once)

In summary, with broadband, and good sites like this, with all the content always available - magazines had better watch out - cause I doubt if I will buy them.

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys,

New is quite right, when i first started sea fishing i had a whole new language to learn and the magazines certainly helped, and still do. I do'nt beach fish very often but always read all the relevant articles, I'm an armchair shore fisherman some might say!

With the pictures, I do feel that the magazines are at the forefront of the sport as their readily available to all, and I know that they work to promote the sport and issues associated. (Particularly pleased with The Shimano Mission Badges in Sea Angler, that promote and denote "Catch and Released fish").

I do take fish home for the table, the thing that upsets me is (I probably did'nt make it as clear as Manx Fisher and Lewistec), are pictures of inedible fish taken back to harbour, out on the lawn or fish taken that have potentially years of growth and spawning left.

I still buy all the magazines, it’s just sometimes I find myself questioning their marketing of the Sport sometimes.

Looking through a big stack of magazines the handling of fish and their condition is (as a percentage) very good and I'm know that many are returned after a quick weigh and photo, the vast majority of anglers I have found to be very responsible.

But unfortunately we seem to move in and out of the public spotlight evermore, and maybe it's something that the magazine editors need to concentrate and promote more (both freshwater and salt).

It's not only the magazines, but simple things like litter left everywhere after a session or witnessing an experienced angler smashing a Garfish repeatedly on a pier railing in front of crowds of holiday-makers (young kids included), really is'nt sports promotion.

Our seas are politically complex with commercial and European fisheries, and the debate of commercial responsibility for overfishing. We are further being drawn into the public eye with sea fishing license debates, changes to diesel usage for Charter Boats etc and that the public are threatened that they wo'nt have anymore cod for their chips!

I did'nt want to sound as if i was "slating" the magazines, especially to newcomers (i still buy them all). I suppose the bottom line is we are a Sport, and need to promote that amongst ourselves and to all others.

I’m not at all political (never voted, through choice) and did’nt want to sound too strong in my earlier post (just read it back, bit heavy), can’t stand politics (studied it for three years), but sometimes the occasional, unnecessary photo or fish taken home just winds you up!

Like many people here, I just want to fish in the future, and see my kids do the same

Peace and Plenty, “Lofty”

1 - 17 of 17 Posts