World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am fairly new to sea fishing i do my fishing in Dumfries and Galloway when is the best time of day to catch sea bass and what is the best bait to use as i would love to catch a big fish any ideas would be welcome thanks,

G

·
we dont do sea bass

now bass that is a different fishy wait till ian houlton comes on he will tell u how not to catch bass
with me i just lob out a bait if a catch a bass lucky me if i dont i dont

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Bass fishing in your area is a different ball game. I'm sure one of the Scottish lads will help you out when they come on.

G

·
ian houlton said:
now that has answered a long standing mystery.
why i don't catch bass, because i should be fishing for sea bass obviously :D
And that is why I havent caught any decent cod, they should be called sea cod :D :D :) :)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The curious reaction to your question is the fact that non-fishermen refer to Bass as SEA BASS, because in America, for instance there are Bass, of a similar species, in fresh water! So chefs etc. need to differentiate between the various species! So Ian bach you can call them Bass and everyone will know what you mean!

Bass seem to be warm weather vistors to GB and are considered to move North as the year progresses and then to retreat to warmer climes as the year ends. Fortunately Bass don't read the angling press so that Bass are occasionally caught both late in the year and early (I saw bass caught in gill nest (curse the things!) during February at Brighton, for example. Normally they reach North Wales in June and presumably further north later on! As someone has said, i'm sure some Scottish lads will give you chapter and verse for your particular water! Essentially they chase shoals of baitfish, amongst other fish, - whitebait and Sandeels and mackeral, and thankfully are really partial to Peeler crab! Thus they are caught on or near the surface and on the bottom. They have been taken on most common baits, and weird ones including very ancient and rottting fish baits and sausages, not that I would recommend prime Lincolnshire as the perfect bait!!

Hope you catch one or two this year, but don't be too pre-occupied with the species. If you read these forums long enough you can pick out the sad individuals who are now changed for ever by being fixated on the noble Bass!

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi ian, the sea bass in british waters is sometimes a tricky fish to catch , you set out to go bass fishing and stick to it all day and end up with something entirly different, but in my area kent my knoledge of them is most big bass like a good big fesh bait ie a small pout / or a large live sand eel, or if all fails to have something live or fresh a nice big slice of mackeral . and also a large king rag but
with the ragworm it can be awkward for casting as it breaks on pressure on the cast, also peeler crab are great when you can get them.
lures/ spinners / artificail eels/ will catch the samller bass normally but you never know bigger fish will take the sub baits sometimes.
now for the rig , i mostly do boat fishing in my own boat and use a long flowing trace about 10 to 12ft with a 4o viking the reason for the long trace is the bait is far away from your terminal tackle ie weight and line connector so it gives the bait a chance to flow in the tide ie to make it swim and look natural. this would work on the beach but would have to be not so long.
so in theory big baits big fish.
hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello Ian,

It's interesting to read your post. I live near Carlingford Lough in North East Ireland and I catch lots of bass from mid May right through to September or October, so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't too! I'm sure some of the lads here will give you sound advice about bait fishing, but my advice would be to buy yourself a stiff 10ft spinning rod, a few plugs and some chest waders and start exploring some of the rocky and weedy ground in your area at either dawn or dusk. I'm positive that you'll find some fish.

All the best,

Mick

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
AND A LIFE JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you want to keep posting to this or any other site

·
Registered
785 Posts
live elvers, if you can get 'em, can be a deadly bait. free-lined live shrimp too. I don't think there's anything to beat the sensation of a take on a rapala though. the idea of lobbing a lug worm out & hoping for a bite seems a tad boring to me. horses for courses though.
finn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts