World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
means the surf as kicked a bit shingle and sand and weed up making baits washed out,makes the colour of the water dark, and possible fish will come in to feed,well thats my theory

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sounds right to me.

You also get silt from the Rivers when it rains heavily and soil and clay off the cliffs with cliffslides etc. They all contribute to the colour of the water. On a sunny day you can often tell if the water has colour from the cliff top, if you look at pictures of Holderness the sea appears chocolate Brown most of the time probably due to the cliffs they have there constantly eroding and washing into the sea - coupled with the strong tides across the beaches.

Another way to check water colour is to wade into the sea. If you get knee deep and can still see the bottom the water holds little colour if you stand in an inch of water and cant see the bottom it's thick as guts.

Best catches (with cod) usually are when the sea is rough and coloured, and this is more the case in daylight too.

Big tides and westerly winds are best for producing colour - small tides and easterly winds will clear the water colour out in half a day.

Best marks to fish when its clear are around Kelp and boulders or on a beach where the sand can add a bit of colour.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
some species feed best when theres no colour in the water.

pollock, wrasse, coalie, mackerel, plaice etc.

some fish will feed in coloured or clear but will change the way they feed and the food items they look for.

bass for instance in clear water will feed up in the water chaseing smaller fish but in coloured water take bottom baits such as worms and crab.

plaice dont like coloured water so only fish for them in clear.

coalies feed up in the clear water but go to the bottom in dirty water.

the list goes on so dont assume no colour means no fish.

cod like coloured water as it contains more food and venture closer to shore under the cover of dirty water. but..... they also feed in clear water but usually further out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always find it funny how in summer off the rocks you will not get a cod unless its completely flat and the water is crystal clear. I've had red cod to 8 pounds in the middle of summer under such conditions. Do you know why they behave in the opposite way through summer dabcatcher ?
Because the food mass is massive throughout the summer months crabs peeling all over the place and cod do get territorial where there is plenty of food and adapt to the long sunny days in shallow water where they can feed at will through the kelp ,these fish will feed far more throughout the day than through darkness as i am sure they feed by sight other than in darkness its a completly different scenario than winter cod fishing, filey brigg fishes very good for cod through the summer with fresh peeler catching cod from the shore in summer in tea shirts a lot of anglers on this forum look as if they have never done this i am sure will take great pleasure doing this than freezing to death through the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts