World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks did the round trip yesterday looking at boats and things,did not pick up anything at the jumble but had a look round at some boats i like the look of the mayland 500 at simpsons £5500 seams a lot of money though came with a newish 30hp mariner ,decided i dont want a flyer but did see sevreal similar craft like the hogs they take my fancy also i saw a raider 16 wow what a boat might wait till next year and get one of those any way just a quick question do dogs get seasick i ask as i saw some lifejackets for cats and dogs do peaple really take them out to sea and does it cause problems entering other harbours cheers andy

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
a quick question do dogs get seasick i ask as i saw some lifejackets for cats and dogs do peaple really take them out to sea and does it cause problems entering other harbours cheers andy

Hecky thump Andy you do ask some questions that make me smile:)
Actualy I can answer this one from personal experiance. I guess that like people some dogs could get sick on a boat but... We have always had dogs in our family, all of them have loved the boats and the sea. None of them have ever shown the slightest of sea sickness. One of them (long dead now I am afraid) was so boat aware he could be put over the side near the shore but with us still well afloat. He would swim in do his bits and have a sniff round and when called by dog whistle he would swim back out to the boat and come alongside to be lifted in.(scruff of neck and a handfull a skin at the blunt end)

Our current dogs love a sea trip and are totaly at home in the boat and trips ashore. They seem to know not to try and drink sea water and we always take a large bottle of fresh water and a bowl for them.

Afishionado

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi i do realalise the question was a bit tongue in cheek but funny enough we were contiplating buying a dog ,so it had some relevance i have always wanted a welsh border collie lovely dogs much more fun than the wife..and dont answer back..so back to the boats are the raiders good value for money and are they a good long term buy the one i saw was for£9990 with a 90 hp i think i think i will go for the newish boat i can afford as i want it to be a long term conmitment rather buying a cheapo and then love and then having to buy another one the other boat i was advised to look at was a fletcher vigo 18 they did have one on the simpson web site but has been sold cheers andy

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
a quick question do dogs get seasick i ask as i saw some lifejackets for cats and dogs do peaple really take them out to sea and does it cause problems entering other harbours cheers andy

Hecky thump Andy you do ask some questions that make me smile:)
Actualy I can answer this one from personal experiance. I guess that like people some dogs could get sick on a boat but... We have always had dogs in our family, all of them have loved the boats and the sea. None of them have ever shown the slightest of sea sickness. One of them (long dead now I am afraid) was so boat aware he could be put over the side near the shore but with us still well afloat. He would swim in do his bits and have a sniff round and when called by dog whistle he would swim back out to the boat and come alongside to be lifted in.(scruff of neck and a handfull a skin at the blunt end)

Our current dogs love a sea trip and are totaly at home in the boat and trips ashore. They seem to know not to try and drink sea water and we always take a large bottle of fresh water and a bowl for them.

Afishionado
nice one hope you scooped the poop lol

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
There was guy a couple of years ago that lost a much loved black lab overboard in the Western Solent. They searched and searched but eventually gave up and went home. What do you know but some time later they had a call from the boatyard. The dog has swam back - not to the nearest land but all the way up the Solent and up Beaulieu River. Labradors don't need life jackets, they come supplied with buoyancy from new.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
gs425e,
I wouldn't buy a boat from simsons m8
I did,but i know what you mean.
Be very careful when it comes to the boat description, they makes quit a lot of mistakes (if that`s what you want to call it :whistling ). ie boat age, engine age ect.
You really need to know what you are looking at,take someone with you very experienced to have a good look, don`t take thier word about anything.
If the engine dosn`t have a year on it then get the serial number and find out.

Alan

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
much more fun than the wife ROTFLMAO!!!!

Our Megan is half Border and half Alsatian and just as with all Border Collies is super intelegent. This might sound good but it aint if you want just a quiet in the corner sorta dog!! They need lots of mental stimulation, like hiding tidbits and toys. They love being talked to so I have some good conversations with her.
( "much more fun than the wife"!!!). They also need proper training to be happy so IMHO puppy training class's are essential.
A lot of thouroughbreds suffer from genetic problems (alergies, hip displacement, cateracts etc). For a trouble free companion a cross breed or mutt is by far the best bet.

Afishionado

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi folk yes i do think dogs are better than the wife try taliking to my wife all she does is sits in the corner quetly stuffing her face and watching soaps the only walk she ever needs is to the larder ,dogs on the other hand ..great conversation agree with everything you say .. lots of sloppy kisses and can take down the pub without cramping your style i used to have a bitsa years ago when i kid followed me everywhere once had one i dont think you loose the craving for another ... boats this simpson thing i will take the hint as i have been reading the ads in mags for new boat packages and i must admit it quite surprising what you can get for around £12000 so i am very tempted to go that route any comments cheers andy

·
Registered
464 Posts
Asked the other 'arf about dogs and boats. She's a bit of an expert (Works in a vets). They can get car sick. But rarely boat sick. They don't drink sea water because it's salty (Obvious). Bouyancy aids are more for control that life saving (Got handles and stuff). Beware, pooches that swallow hooks cost a lot to unzip and remove the bits. Sea water should be washed out of their fur. It can irritate the skin and stuff from the water sticks to it.

To round it all off. Dogs and seals are genetically related.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
That's is very interesting Terry, good point about the seals and dogs.
True story... Back in the 70's I had a Cumber Spaniel (big buggers) and he could and did swim underwater to find rocks. I mean 4 or 5 ft deep water too!!

Afishionado

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi are hammsters good sailors? no seriously dont you have a problem taking a dog on board do you still have to take a pooper scopper with you , anyway i have just been looking at the sea angl mag and in there is an article on a pilot4 seems a great little boat and a reasonble price but is only 13ft and just like the one you rcommended to me to look thatwas15ft so does size really matter or is good sea keeping qualities better or is bigger the better i am thinking now in the realms of new or nearly new as the extra bit of saving ill have to do will be worth it im sure andy

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i fished on electric blue out of lymington about 8 years ago. it was the first wreck trip the skipper had done on the boat as he had only had it a couple of days (skippers name was Steve ).

his misses was on holiday and he had to bring the dog out. it was a tiny little terrier sort of thing. on the way out to the wreck in about a force 5/6 in a rather large swell the dog got a bit aggitated. the skip opened the cabin door the dog ran out and crapped on the middle of the deck then ran back into the cabin.

the dog wasn't sick at all while 3 of the 6 anglers spent most of the day groundbaiting.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
anyway i have just been looking at the sea angl mag and in there is an article on a pilot4 seems a great little boat and a reasonble price but is only 13ft and just like the one you rcommended to me to look thatwas15ft so does size really matter or is good sea keeping qualities better or is bigger the better i am thinking now in the realms of new or nearly new as the extra bit of saving ill have to do will be worth it im sure andy
I read the Sea Angler review on the Pilot4, nice little boat but you wouldn`t catch me out on the south coast in something that small.
All very well on a nice calm day,sea like a mill pond ect, but conditions can change at sea in the blink of an eye, been there and seen it happen.I wouldn`t want to be caught out in a 13ft boat when it gets choppy.
I would look at somthing no smaller than 16ft up to say 20ft and to be easy to handle on your own and get you back safe if the swell did get up, which it quite often does.:boat:
Nothing worse than being cramped on a boat with rods, tackle bags, anchor and rope if you don`t have front storage for it, and a ton of other stuff you seem to gather on a boat.

Alan

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Had my fishing buddies terrier, Buck, on my boat once. We were fishing within yards of the shore. I was constantly worried as one sight of a rabbit and I am sure the dog would have been swimming.
Every time you moved on the boat Buck was under your feet. Eventually Buck got bored to distraction and sulked in the cabin. He certainly was not sick but needed room to move.
Totally unfair on that dog. He had a 'dogminder' when we went fishing after that.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
hi are hammsters good sailors? no seriously dont you have a problem taking a dog on board do you still have to take a pooper scopper with you , anyway i have just been looking at the sea angl mag and in there is an article on a pilot4 seems a great little boat and a reasonble price but is only 13ft and just like the one you rcommended to me to look thatwas15ft so does size really matter or is good sea keeping qualities better or is bigger the better i am thinking now in the realms of new or nearly new as the extra bit of saving ill have to do will be worth it im sure andy
of course they are good sailors or are you too young to remember tales of the river bank

·
Registered
842 Posts
Andy

I had a good look at the Westpoint pilot 4 at last years Southampton boat show, its a very pretty boat , but thats about all , its way to small for anything other than a flat calm sea.You probably recall from posts on this sites , comments like , the boat looks huge out of the water, the Pilot 4 well , looks tiny out of the water, and would be even smaller in the sea.

Also in my opinion , that big Honda 4 stroke 50hp bolted on the back is overkill, possibly dangerous in the wrong hands, I would have thought a 20hp- 30hp would be more appropriate.
If your looking to buy a new boat, I do'nt think you would go to far wrong by buying a Predator 160, Simpson's sell Predators but you can get a much better deal elswhere, I bought mine from East Coast Boats in Essex, give Matt a call on 07930 406652 or http://www.predatorboats.biz/
Predators are very similar to Warrior 165 , but offer much better VFM, and their aftersales service is above average imho

Cheers Ian

:boat: :boat: :boat:

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi thanks for the replys,yes i was thinking and from what i gathered from you folk that 13 ft was way to small its a bit misleading that article from a newcomers point of view and think i will skip reading them reviewes in future as i am getting far if not the best advice from you folk many thanks ..tales from the river bank i remeber it got it on beta max for old time sake (lol).. andy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts