World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes its me again.

If experience is learned by happening then there is not too much left for me is there? So here goes.

The auxilliary outboard, Johnson 4hp, 2 spark plug, engine was dunked for 2 mins in salt-water. (not through choice but by trusting an apprentice boatee)

O/B was washed in freshwater ASAP, drained, plugs removed and carb emptied of water. Fuel tank was emptied, reconnected and refilled with fresh fuel . WD40 liberally sprayed all around and cord pulled to lubricate pistons. Plugs washed in petrol, gap rechecked and reinserted after injecting the piston tops with 15ml of premixed oil/fuel from a reserve tank.

Neutral gear selected, fuel **** on, choke on, start position selected and pull cord yanked.

Nothing but a cough that a 2 year old produces if they have a mild irritant in their throat.

Ideas please

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Hiya, Not an outboard, and might be totally irrelevant, but,the same thing happened to my gransons wee Suzuki 2 stroke quadbike...we did exactly the same as you, then left it in the garage, upside down with plugs out etc for a week to totally dry out..then added fuel etc etc..it took a few good pulls to get it working, but it does now start and run fine..:)

BTW, you did remove all oil in the engine?? didnt you?? :)

Hope you get yours going.,.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hi
you might try the flywheel pick up. a few years ago i had a 55hp suzuki that was under for about 1hr after getting it going an outboard mech told me to get it runniing in a tank with good revs on it and every now and then squirt a little 2 stroke oil in the air intake and to do this for a good while.just one other thing perhaps the mix you put in the bore has fouled the plug?

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as I think I supply all details, drat:bangin:

Its a 2 stroke, combined oil and fuel.

New fuel, same plugs, engine pulls, fuel **** open, air vent open, neutral, prop tries to spin (neutral) and nothing:help:

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just one other thing perhaps the mix you put in the bore has fouled the plug?
This is possible.

But the engine would not pull at all, absolutely solid until the water was drained from the cylinder head through the spark plug port.

Thereafter with some wd40 it pulls all day long.

Just no spark to ignite the fuel.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Was the engine running when it went swimming? (bad luck by the way)

If so i am worried for you that the crankcase has sucked water in and hydraulic the engine as it was still spinning. ......and may well have bent the conrod etc.

Check the engine is turning over easily and free with out the spark plug in, it should spin freely and not clatter or vibrate.

Hopefully this is all ok and its just the coil and electrics, clean every terminal really well and WD40, especially the plug lead

good luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
a way to check the electrics are ok is to pull off the plug lead and try a screwdriver or spark plug in the cap and hold the plug/screwdriver to earth on the cyclider head etc and turn engine over to see if you have a spark or not (just a way of ruleing out whats at fault.

then check fuel is getting through, no blocks etc.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The engine was NOT running before dunking.

I will try again tomorrow and if it fails to start then I will use my other 3hp O/B as an auxilliary.

Anyone got big oars:bye2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where are you heading PS, it might be safer for us to go in opposite direction:cc_surren. Lucky white heather, have known the feeling at times. Hope it works out.
Cheers
Chalky

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chalky this is the good part. I have fished for hmmm 30 years give or take a few.

Shore and boat has never been a problem.

Then I BUY a boat and holy schniztel everything changes.

The guys in this forum are to be commended as they advised me, unfortunately AFTER I bought the boat.

The expression, "There go I, but for the grace of God" rings true.

It seems that no matter what experience I have or believe I have can only be improved upon. Now this is a good thing. Thank Deus (in case god is not allowed) that I have all the safety gear.

Shouts to Paul....only a few weeks till I sit my radio test.....

ahhh the joys of boating:wub:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi
I had a Seagull O/B which The nappy pin wasn.t put on but luckily the Insurance rope was well tied on,...jsut happened to look astern to see a seagull outboard skating along the surface,we dont know how long that we had been dragging the outboard astern of us but when we got home a quick swill down with fresh water and a drip dry then a squirt of WD40 and the engine just struck up,.....amazing.
KB.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Chalky this is the good part. I have fished for hmmm 30 years give or take a few. QUOTE

Hope it's give youngster. I am in similar situation having upgraded from Orkney Spinner to a Pilot Day boat this year. After half a dozen trips now getting used to the wee tricks for easy boating. First trip saw me trying to winch boat on, nearly broke ma back and ma heart, did break rope twice. Now winch is only a glorified ratchet strap. But man it's fun learning even at oor age PS.:crazy::crazy:
Cheers
Chalky

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tell me about it.

My experience now sounds like dangerous bravado.

I know its not but psst that's how it now appears in the cold light of day.:cry::oops: :hammer:

BUT!!!!! if calmness and confidence can assist then I have that.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Take the plugs out and pour neat 2 stroke oil into the bores, pull the engine over and repeat, the oil will be shot out of the plug holes but importantly will lubricate the bores bearings rings andreeds, do this a few times. Salt water on the bearings and rings as well as bores and reed block is what kills them. Plenty of neat oil in there will postpone this, hopefully.

Let it dry with the lid off and plugs out in a warm place, it will not start with soggy lecces. Then using twice the oil mix to fuel try to start it, if you can get it running the heat and extra oil will dry it out and protect the surfaces.

Done this in the past and it has worked sometimes. If it doens't it is a major engine tear down and this is sometimes not cost effective on a small engine, fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
If that's the '70s or '80s 4hp Johnson, age often cracks the coil/mag insulation and eventually causes it to fail when they warm up.

Pop the flywheel off and have a look-if the insulation was cracking and sea water's got in there you'll need to buy new ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts