World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently staying in Saint Jacut De La Mer. Have been trying various techniques but have been unable to get any fish. I have seen small mullet in the shallows and there are supposedly bass aswell. The tides round here can go out for a couple of miles in places and is very fast so you can only fish in one location for a few hours at most. Has anyone fishing around here before and if so what should I be doing to catch fish. I have a bass rod and a beach caster with assorted hooks and gear and access to a kayak.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hi Rory,

How did you get on in the end. I've fished in Brittany whilst on holiday in the past. Never really did terribly well except when I decided to concentrate on mullet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well on the second to last day I went out in the kayak to see if I could get any pollock or wrasse near the rocks by jigging a colourful metal bar. Ended up hooking a cuttlefish when I drifted over their sea grass beds, an interesting catch and very tasty.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Why do you think the frog trawlers are over here, possibly something to do with having decimated their own fishery same as the Spanish.

Thank god we voted for Brexit, once we leave the Navy can sink the [email protected]

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Why do you think the frog trawlers are over here, possibly something to do with having decimated their own fishery same as the Spanish.

Thank god we voted for Brexit, once we leave the Navy can sink the [email protected]
:( I did fishery protection for a year and the French were normally let off with a warning, quote, "because we are in delicate negotiations with the French and it wouldn't be a good idea to arrest one of their trawlers," unquote. Same as when the EU total ban on landing herring was on, we were in Brest or somewhere and we saw boxes of herring on sale in the fish market which we carefully photographed and sent to MAFF and the French answer was, "they were mackerel". MAFF then said it was up to each individual EU country to police their own landings and we had no control over them, only in UK waters, it's a joke. :(

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Yes Norm it is a joke and the jokes on us, hopefully Brexit will give us back some control.

I had heard that once we had left the EU the Navy were going to tow a French trawler for target practice, they might go through a few trawlers, but what the hell it sounds good to me :):)

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Yes Norm it is a joke and the jokes on us, hopefully Brexit will give us back some control.

I had heard that once we had left the EU the Navy were going to tow a French trawler for target practice, they might go through a few trawlers, but what the hell it sounds good to me :):)
:) I don't think we'll get our 200 mile limit back, it will be used in negotiations as OUR fish are too valuable to be used just for US. The EU fishing fleet is too big to fish just EU waters, that's why they have the CFP and took 60% of OUR fish, they would have to do what they made us do when they took control of OUR waters, de-commission trawlers and make fishermen redundant, I can't see it happening, none of our elected leaders have the balls to do it. :)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

i just discovered this post : i never fished st Jacut de la mer, but quite a lot of other places in Brittany and had some very nice fishing!

... anyway, for a (short)while i thought the op was asking about fishing in cote d'Armor/Brittany , not political/European fishery issues !!!:confused:o_O

Gert

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Looks like one our Spanish brethren didn't like my previous post, I would like to say I'm sorry, but I can't and won't, so go stick that where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Looks like one our Spanish brethren didn't like my previous post, I would like to say I'm sorry, but I can't and won't, so go stick that where the sun don't shine.
... you're such a brave guy behind your computer screen!!!!! :D:D

Gert

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
... you're such a brave guy behind your computer screen!!!!! :D:D

Gert
Strange response from a Dutchman and I'm not ashamed to stand up for our fishery rights, something our own Government couldn't or wouldn't do while we were in the EU :(

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Strange response from a Dutchman and I'm not ashamed to stand up for our fishery rights, something our own Government couldn't or wouldn't do while we were in the EU :(
First of all : i'm not a Dutchman!
And second : you may have your opinion about anything you want, but the op was asking about fishing in Brittany, not about European fisheries or politics ... so please stay on topic!

Gert

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
First of all : i'm not a Dutchman!
And second : you may have your opinion about anything you want, but the op was asking about fishing in Brittany, not about European fisheries or politics ... so please stay on topic!

Gert
It was exactly that, an opinion which I'm entitled to, probably shared by many and why does it matter whether it was off topic or not, many posts on here have discussions that are off topic, it's a forum not a dictatorship.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
It was exactly that, an opinion which I'm entitled to, probably shared by many and why does it matter whether it was off topic or not, many posts on here have discussions that are off topic, it's a forum not a dictatorship.
well ... discussions get closed by moderators because they go off-topic ... especially when they deviate towards politics! It's a FISHING forum, not a political one!

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
well ... discussions get closed by moderators because they go off-topic ... especially when they deviate towards politics! It's a FISHING forum, not a political one!
Ok point taken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts