World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pffft!

this has definetly been the very worst year ever. there were so few fish around that most of us were going out with very low expectations and were duly not in the least suprised when we blanked.

I have said this before and will no doubt repeat it later, the commercial trawlers have all but emptied the waters around this island and all we have left is the remenats of a once thriving industry/sport.

I have taken up fly fishing as I have pretty much had my fill of 12 hour sessions in the freezing cold to be rewarded with a 4 inch blenny or nothing at all, and im sure that I am not alone in this.

sea fishing, at least from the shore (although the baots arent fairing well either by all accounts) is a thing of the past. the glory days are well and truly over and, no matter how much we pretend they will return and say that there are always bad years etc, theyre not coming back.

I reckon i will still go out from time to time but spending £100+ on a weekends fishing is looking less and less attractive to me when I can spend a few quid on train fares and find myself fishing a slow moving trout/salmon filled river.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you know, ive been thinking about that a lot recently. I hate seeing reports from our european cousins where theyre pulling in 20lbers on a pretty regular basis when getting a 5lb fish here is something to get excited about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Unfortunatelly I am inclined to agree with you xcrisx. I returned to winter sea fishing after a long break this year and have been surprised by the lack of fish and the size when you do connect. In my case though I think the lack of fish my be an experience thing as well as a decrease in the overall population. Its not going to put me off though as it just means that its more challenging now and more rewarding when you connect with that big fish.

I never gave up fly fishing by the way. Nothing to beat a Trout or Salmon on light gear.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunatelly I am inclined to agree with you xcrisx. I returned to winter sea fishing after a long break this year and have been surprised by the lack of fish and the size when you do connect. In my case though I think the lack of fish my be an experience thing as well as a decrease in the overall population. Its not going to put me off though as it just means that its more challenging now and more rewarding when you connect with that big fish.

I never gave up fly fishing by the way. Nothing to beat a Trout or Salmon on light gear.
oh, i still love hitting that big fish or the suprise contender, but the 'big' fish now is a tiddler compared to what it was just a few years ago. the excitement has all but gone.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
pffft!

this has definetly been the very worst year ever. there were so few fish around that most of us were going out with very low expectations and were duly not in the least suprised when we blanked.

I have said this before and will no doubt repeat it later, the commercial trawlers have all but emptied the waters around this island and all we have left is the remenats of a once thriving industry/sport.

I have taken up fly fishing as I have pretty much had my fill of 12 hour sessions in the freezing cold to be rewarded with a 4 inch blenny or nothing at all, and im sure that I am not alone in this.

sea fishing, at least from the shore (although the baots arent fairing well either by all accounts) is a thing of the past. the glory days are well and truly over and, no matter how much we pretend they will return and say that there are always bad years etc, theyre not coming back.

I reckon i will still go out from time to time but spending £100+ on a weekends fishing is looking less and less attractive to me when I can spend a few quid on train fares and find myself fishing a slow moving trout/salmon filled river.
oh well youve either got it or you havent ive no blanked this year yet but its always lean at this time of year anyway just keep soldiering on xcrissx on e day you will get that biggy and you might even end up as good as me only kidding i blank all the time but id never chuck it i love it for loads of reasons fishing for trout just disnae touch it

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It could be due to trawlers but also other factors such as weather condions and the like can all affect the fishing from our coasts. On my local coast when fishing for species other than cod the warmer months allow for better catches. I hear you that this years Cod run has been poor but some lunkers have been caught so they are there just not in massive numbers. But has there been a year when lunkers where the norm and a session without a double was a shock, I think not. Fishing is un predictable unless fishing from stocked waters that is, you can use knowledge to give yourself an advantage against the fish but nobody can go fishing from the shore and say that they will catch a lunker everytime. If there is someone like that I want there name cos I could do with a good Fishing session.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Cannot complain too much down in my neck of the woods, just recently finished a local winter league series of matches, and the results have probably been the best for at least five years. Heaviest cod in excess of 8lb. loads of dabs, quite a few dogs and codling were there when conditions were good. Only unusual thing was that whiting were absent this year, even early pollack were caught. These results from six matches with an average attendance of fifty rods. Just a pity we only had one rough day to bring the codling into Senwick bay. Yet throughout the series there were very few blankers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wouldn't say the winter was fantastic, but when the conditions were right there were fish to be caught. Must admit that I enjoy catching the sea trout in the Tay estuary far more than catching tame stocked rainbows. Got a double last year and I am sure it was someones pet !!
Fished more in the sea last summer than for the trout as the river levels were so low and the lochs were too warm. Was very surprised on how good the wrasse and red cod fishing was off Fife Ness. CodHead Bob also points out that the summer fishing is much better than winter fishing.
So don't dispair, have a shot through the summer. Even if you blank, it is likely that it will be warmer than when you blank in the winter.

Nick

·
Registered
120 Posts
Alright lads.

Chris is right the fishing is quite poor in this country and many factors are to blame for this. One major factor this year and last is the major drop in sand eel numbers. You can see the evidence with the large numbers of Guillemots lying dead on the beach or even being snagged in your fishing lines.

Another big reason for lack of sea fish is the muppets who keep anything with gills or their fellow muppets the catch, kill, and dump angler. A lot of the beaches on the Fyne hold evidence of dog fish that are left to die on the beach cos somebody caught "TOO MANY DUG FISH THE DAY" I see this at the Trout lochs as well with loads of Perch lying dead on the bank.

In saying all this some cracking fish have been pulled out from the Clyde in the past year so something out there.

Most memorable catches in Greenock Telegraph fish o the week.
40lb+ conger
4lb ballan
??lb starry spur

I'm a member of a fly fishing club here in Greenock and I personally think that fly fishing is the best style of fishing known to man. Even when you miss a fish its a buzz but sea fishing is a total different challenge and also very enjoyable. Gonna try it this week on loch fyne I think. Never put a fly to salt water yet.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aye, the commercial fishing of sand eels is a big factor in the lack of fish.
its no coincidence that the scavengers have taken over once healthy fishing spots. crabs are becoming a huge menace, worse than ever before, and there are more doggies than i can remember.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Listening to some of you lot moan,its a wonder anyone bothers to fish in saltwater,i've yet to hear of a trout water where you can throw a fly and get "a double" every cast.If you go out and blank then try something new ie rigs/ bait, dont keep fishing the same old marks using same old tactics, then moaning because you didn't catch that 40lb whiting:uhuh: . I'm not the best angler, but i've not blanked this winter it could have only been a coalie or a doggie but its sport, and being on the beach/rocks wins everytime when the other option is watching corrie with her indoors:preachon: Rant over

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its not about 'I didnt catch a monster every time' its about there being no monsters there to catch!

too often a session of 5 or more rods ends up with a tally so small that its barely worth talllying at all.

and these are good experienced anglers who know their stuff, not a bunch of hacks who wouldnt know a pulley rig from a hacksaw.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Not too sure about this winter being that bad. We've had a decent number of fish this year with only 2 blanks, due to really rough unfishable seas. I must admit we havent had anything too big (above 7lb) but the numbers have been good.

There has certainly been some big fish caught, photographed and posted on here and there will be many other anglers who have had decent catches as well, along with those that havent done well.

I havent really seen too much of a change in the last few years to be honest.

Although there had been a lot of small fish being caught. Is this a good sign? I also heard that lots of small fish where getting caught in the seasons just before the collapse of the Grand Banks.........but i dont know much about this or how true it is.

Its certainly true that fishing in the days of old was much better than it is now, but im just a young lad and for all that i know and have experienced its still going strong!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
:) I have to agree with martyboy also. Although there havn't been many large fish,the number of small medium fish has been resonable. Like a lot of guys say, if fly fishing rings your bell, then do that instead.
Personaly i think sea fishing beats it hands down.
But if you want to guarantee a fish, then fly fishing should be right up your street.:)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the jedi,s do no bad, always catching, because were super anglers of course!

and fish the right marks, caught a few specimen dugs at the weekend as well,

3 lbs mark,

ive also had a fair amount of monsters, id call a big fish anything over 5 lbs, and im sure most will agree with that,

ive also caught fish over 45 lbs from shore, west coast, fish r in decline but not fishing.

i love my fishing sea and fly, fly being at night and anywhere which says private no fishing.

just get on way it, and if you want more,, why not come on a meet way the jedi,s

see wut happens, u know your welcome,, have a laugh, as well

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been reading these posts with interest and it brought something to mind that i have been pondering for a while. It has been reported that due to Danish commercial sandeel fishing that seabirds are starving to death. The overfishing of sandeels has also been blamed for the lack of fish on this side of the north sea. Yet as a couple of you guys pointed out the fishing in Scandinavia is still very good, with lunkers regularly caught.
In my experience of 30 odd years fishing there has never been so many dogfish. It appears, particularly on the west coast, that their population has exploded. In recent years whiting have almost disappeared from the Clyde but haddock have reappeared. Could it be that these are natural cycles in fish populations? I have know doubt that water temperature and commercial fishing has an impact but is it mother nature that is having the final say? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yae no the way a think aye it

all they fish in asda safeway, somerfields tesco, are but a few, theres thousands more all over the world,

how many thousand tonnes or even millions of tonnes of fish are landed every day all over the world,
theyve got to run out, sometime!!!!!

·
Freeloader
6,662 Posts
:) I have to agree with martyboy also. Although there havn't been many large fish,the number of small medium fish has been resonable. Like a lot of guys say, if fly fishing rings your bell, then do that instead.
Personaly i think sea fishing beats it hands down.
But if you want to guarantee a fish, then fly fishing should be right up your street.:)
ive tried fly fishing personaly i think its a waste of effort

1 - 20 of 41 Posts