World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keen to try fishing from a sea kayak but I am on a limited budget - any advice on the best place to get a decent second hand kayak and how much I might expect to pay - I am based in NE Scotland.

·
Registered
467 Posts
what you are looking for is a sit on top kayak! angler versions hold there money well! but you can easily kit out a non angler one. not sure about second hand but you can expect to pay from 500 to 800 for the yak itself or even more if you want a top end one! then maybe same again for your kit! i paddle a prowler 13 angler which i find a fantastic yak nice and fast and stable with lots of storage. but have to say a fantastic way to fish even when your not catching :laugh: not often you find someone else fishing your mark! :punk:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have a look in the "for sale" section on the anglersafloat website. this will give u a good idea on what u should expect to pay. One advantage of buying a second hand fishing yak is that it will probably come fully rigged with a few extras thrown in.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Make sure you get a good life jacket,some one drowned in Lunan Bay last month using a sea kayak,take care and think safety.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I will check out the site you mentioned and when I do finally get kitted out it will always be safety first! Cheers!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
There's a fantastic kayak for sale in the classifieds here... Tarpon 14. You shouldn't spend more than £600 for a used kayak with all the accessories (paddle, anchor, Fish Finder, removeable seat.

Go to planetseafishing.com and speak to Neil... he may be able to point you to some local kayakers. I met a chap down at Drummore from your neck of the woods but didn't get any contact details for him.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Do they really have anchors? wouldn't that + chain be a lot of weight to paddle about with? (You can see I no nothing about canoeing!)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Aye wee anchors... fishfinders, gps's, flares, vhf radios, back up paddles... everything a boat has in miniature really! :)

Miniature costs in comparison too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts