World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I caught a Black Bream of just about legal size but it had two sea lice on it. One about 2-3 inches long.

I put the fish back after ripping these lice off (turns your stomach hearing the legs snap). Did I do the right thing or will the fish die now?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Last night I caught a Black Bream of just about legal size but it had two sea lice on it. One about 2-3 inches long.

I put the fish back after ripping these lice off (turns your stomach hearing the legs snap). Did I do the right thing or will the fish die now?
I've never seen sea lice that size before, and never seen sea lice with legs either:g:

Bill

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Never had lice that big or as conofisher says with legs either.
Neal
The Skink

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

we get one that looks like an over grown Woodlouse over here on the West coast around the deep lochs, you can hear it's legs rip off when you remove them.

·
Registered
139 Posts

You did the rite thing.. and the fish should recover now the parasite has been removed unless its has been to deeply bored into.. or it get snaped up by another preadetor.. and 2-3 ins long is an average mature adult for a louce..:yucky:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I've ever known them as is Sea lice and looking around the internet I can find similar pictures but I cannot identify them.

Think of a wood louse, sea slater or cockroach and put it on steriods for a while until it's got shoulders like Arnie (well like he used to have) and thats the top. The bottom had about six "legs" embedded deep into the flesh of the fish with about 6-8 more legs supporting the bottom half of the body.

If I get another one I'll bring it home for a photo

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Minging!:yucky: :yucky:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
I've always thought they would make a cracking wrasse bait.. it's just the though of handling them that's stopped me :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hiya,

we get one that looks like an over grown Woodlouse over here on the West coast around the deep lochs, you can hear it's legs rip off when you remove them.
Those sound like the ones we see on the skinningrove jetty ( north-east ) but we call them Sea-Pigs the biggest I have seen was about 4in long :)

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Chop it up, whip it on a size 3/0 varivas bigmouth bass hook and give it a go! In reality i would run screaming like a girl LOL Looks prehistoric?!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
lol looking at pics on the net and came across this, what would u do if this was on ya line lol http://www.liquito.blogger.com.br/Tatui2.jpg
I think that looks like a type of shellfish that are good to eat. Saw one in Malta while scuba diving but it was smaller and dark coloured. I did not know what it was at the time so left well alone but was later told they are good eating!

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
You have got to be joking!!!!!!!! Eat it....NAH!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have sea lice here in OZ that can strip your bait off in 5 minutes.Pain in the bum.They are most active on moonlit nights.We put out a 7kg Tuna out under a balloon one night while chasing Sharks.When we retrieved the bait after two hours,all that was left was a skeleton and a bit of skin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts