World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the South Coast Forum and have a question regarding your rock reefs at Sea Palling. We have a series of rock reef sea defences in Sussex at Elmer, Bognor Regis. We have 8 of them running parallel with the shore line. Ours are about 1/2 the distance out into the sea and each one is shorter and closer than yours at Sea Palling. The reefs have produced the same type of semicircular basins between the reefs as at Sea Palling. My question is have any of you fished into or from these reefs successfully. If so how have you tackled this location. On the South Coast forum this question crops up regularly every year and no one has come up with an answer. It might be that at Elmer there are several expensive private estates with public parking some 2 miles or more distance. Elmer doesn't like visitors it seems. If you do fish your reefs do you fish out to the rocks, between the rock reefs or sit on the rocks and fish on the outside. We are beginning to think the Elmer rocks are the South Coast's best kept secret with Bass, Bream and Eels in abundance. Your East coast experience would be helpful and thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hi EF, it's very interesting to hear about the Elmer reefs. The Sea Palling reefs are also a bass haven, although a few anglers have fished from the rocks on the ebb it’s considered very dangerous as one slip could send you down amongst the stones. The boats have been trolling lures just off the far side for years and this year it’s been popular with us kayak anglers. The best results are mostly with plugs as it’s infested with millions of crabs which quickly devour a bait on the bottom.

·
Registered
414 Posts
if you type sea palling surf cams into google you can see the reefs,a picture is taken from 6 cameras every half hour from 4am to 12 pm.never seems to be fish within the bays apart from a few weavers,the bass tend to hold just off the rocks,had a little bit of success trolling plugs,live sandeel best method cast into them on pike bung and follow in boat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have plugged these reefs for bass and many others have followed. as people have said before me it is very dangerous on these reefs holes between the boulders u can lose a small car in . if the life guards spot u they will imediatly turf u off. we always fish in pairs if we venture out there never alone . i can hear people say why do somthing that is dangerous i guess its a buzz neil

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Don't know about your tides and how it has built up but we effectively have some banks between each deeper basin area which creates a nice feature as the tide rips over it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies. You seem to have put the Reef fishing into perspective in that it's very, very dangerous to climb over the stones and fish from the top. The stone rocks on our reefs are about as big as the stones of the Giza Pyramid, about 3 tons each, and like yours one can easily fall down in between. They are covered in green weed. Fishing the outside on a calm day from a dinghy or Yak seems the answer. Thanks again and tight lines in Norfolk. PS. Great slideshow Pinkfoot. I don't think the Yakkers down here are up to your level yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts