World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know the best way to prevent sea sickness (i have been boat fishing three times and fed the gulls three times).
any information would be greatfull thank's. joe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
root ginger supposedly does the trick there was a good article in sea angler last month i think, if you know someone with a back issue, all the best derek

·
Registered
54 Posts
I swear by a full stomach before I set out and I have never suffered.
But I don't know however whether this actually works or whether I just dont get sea sick.
As I don't want to risk finding out I always have a cooked brekkie.

2 stages of sea-sickness.....

1 = you're scared you're gonna die....
2 = you're scared you're not gonna die...

Give it a whirl (oops sorry!!) - I guess the seagulls win either way. :eek:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Joe,

Some people are prone to seasickness and there is nothing that they can do about it.

Other people can go out on boats and never ever get sick.

However there are those who go out some times and get sick but not always. There are a few tips that can prevent those occasions.

Number 1: Never drink alcohol the night before you go out. 2: Always have a good nights sleep. 3: Leave yourself with pleanty of time to get to your destination, so that you are relaxed and not under any stress or tention. 4: Have a good breakfast before you leave. 5: Dont drink alcohol or fizzy drinks when on board. 6: Carry a bottle of water with you for your drinks. 7: Don't hide yourself away from the other crew, keep chatting to keep your mind off thinking that you will be sick.

I am sure that there are other old fisherman remedies that some of the other members will come up with but these I am sure will help. Some folk say that cubes of ginger help, I cannot comment.

I am out from Eastbourne this Sunday, I will make some enquiries for you.

Cheers

Drew

B

·
0 Posts
The one thing that makes me feel sea sick is going to sea on a FULL stomach!
As Drew says,some people are more prone to sea sickness than others,so if you're one of those there's not a lot you can do about it!
I have heard of a remedy called sturgeon (I think thats the name)that you can buy from the chemist and it's meant to be pretty good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
bigfish is right sturgeon are the best when irun my boat out of port talbot 28 footer i tell the lads take one before bed one when you get up and one just as you get on the boat and think you are going to be well never fails ps no beer

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you have a sympathetic doctor ask for a script for Prochlorperazine (Stemetil)
It is not available over the counter at a pharmacy. It works on the nervous system and stops you being sick. Best stuff you can get.

·
Registered
325 Posts
try and tie all your rigs before you set out,dont look down at the floor of the boat,try and stay out of the cabin if the boat you are going on has one, if your standing up, try and focus on something on the horizon,failing that, boots used to sell something called sea legs, its a kind of travel/motion sickness tablet. try not to drink lots of fluid the night before, because it will slosh around the opposite way to the sea when your standing still.on a hot day though have plenty of water with you as you can get very quickly dehydrated !my only other bit of advice is, if you do start to be sick drink lots of lemonade ,it tastes the same coming up as it does going down !my father was taught to eat lots of oranges while at sea, the deck still bears the stains,good luck and stick with it.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
All great advice but there is only really one 100% cure for sea sickness
Hug a Tree

Sorry :D :D :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
In a similar light to the last entry

Strawberry Jam it does bugger all for the sea sickness but it does taste nice ojn the way up.

Seriously thou I suffer about once a year and that is usually when I forget to take the previously mentioned tablets. Touch wood I have never been sick with them

Tomo

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
i think the above covers just about every remedy.
deffo stay off the beer the night before and no fry up in the morning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a problem of sickness when using the boat but it is the reverse of the usual I don't get sick at all when on the boat but with in 1/2 an hour of landing back on shore I am sick, as it still feels that I'm on the boat. :confused:

·
Registered
437 Posts
IF YOU GOT FALSE TEETH TAKE EM OUT MY MATE LOST TOP SET ON THE FIRST HEAVE. TOOK IS BOTTOM SET OUT ON THE SECOND AND HAD THEM IN HIS HAND WITH HIS HEAD OVER THE SIDE BOAT HIT A LUMP AND GUESS WHAT SPLOSH!!:D

F

·
0 Posts
I used to suffer from sea sickness as well. But now i just have a light to medium breakfast before going out then take a Quell anti sickness tablet about 30 mins before setting sail. Never been ill since. Tablets can be bought in most chemists.

S

·
0 Posts
These are tablets over the counter you take two about 2 hours before you go out make sure u eat something with them.
two another 2 4 hours later u should be ok.
Avoid fizzy drinks on a boat take some fruit. bannana apple etc
Orange juice is good only one carton and plenty of water if you are ill at least you can drink the water not to dehydrate.
Oh and more important avaoid alcohol the night before and on the day.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Don't look at this section much. Nasty bobbing things boats, have no use for them myself. I don't count the Menai Straits as it's always sheltered but when I worked on a trawler I was cured by being (continually) asked to, "Just pop down and check the engine will you Glynne". Engines are in the midline of the boat and so roll less. Mind you the diesel fumes were foul. Presumably the Skipper was casting an eye on my pallid complexion and (for once!) silent demeanour. On the rare occasions when I've travelled on a ferry (to Aran in Scotland) I've tended to gravitate to the bar as soon as the ship left Ardrossan as being blotto meant that I had no recollection of being bad! Seriously I was never sick, simply because I knew the trip was only 55 minutes and most was in the shelter of Aran itself. For some reason my wife felt worse sitting on the 'suicide' side of the car during the mad dash up from the South!. Going back to the bar (great) its again in the centre of the boat isn't it! The outside of a ship rolls far more. Yet another reason not to go out on a crowded fishing platform inhabited by Walruses vomitting in unison over the rolling side .. up ....and .....down, up.....and.....down, up ....and .....get the picture?

Sometimes I get seasick just putting on my waders, so avoiding the circumstances seems good advice. There's a lot of trees on the banks of the Straits. Inshore boating allows you to head in when the 'white horses' start!

The Strawberry jam idea works but is not permitted on the Atkins Diet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am sea sick every time I go to sea so think there must be a connection.

All I do is drink water before I set out and also when I am out there.
It is easier to toss up than solids :D

I do only toss up three times each trip though.
1) On the way OUT
2) While I am out there.
3) On the way back.
So not too bad...ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

NOW I will tell the truth.
I have a band which I wear.
Like a watch but the watch shaped bit faces my wrist.
I press a button and it sort of vibrates against my skin.
Cost me around £80
It works.

Says in the advertising blurb that it acts on accupuncture points and who am I to argue with this as I am never sick when I wear it and I am ALWAYS sick when I forget it.

I second the comment about false teeth too:
IN pocket BEFORE honking up ! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts