World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it any good? Useful? Vital even?
Are there better courses other than the RYA one?
Thoughts and comments gent's?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I did the SFITA (sfita.co.uk)personal survival course..... scared me 5h1tless! Certainly well worth doing. I would think my chance of survival should I go into the water has improved considerably.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that sounds worth doing then, I only seem to see the RYA course up here in Liverpool. I'll get one sorted :)

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
I've only done the RYA one so I can't comment on how it compares. Of course in a controlled environment it was very different to being in a real situation, but having done the course, I would say it is very worthwhile - if you're going to have or have got a liferaft, I would say it's essential to do it if you're going to want to be able to use the liferaft - if you're thinking of getting one, do so after the course, it would give you a chance to make an assesment of the features such as access ramp or ladder that you would choose.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
- if you're going to have or have got a liferaft, I would say it's essential to do it if you're going to want to be able to use the liferaft - if you're thinking of getting one, do so after the course, it would give you a chance to make an assesment of the features such as access ramp or ladder that you would choose.
I didn't think of that but I do agree entirely. Before the course I hadn't even thought of the many ways that a liferaft could give you problems!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only done the RYA one so I can't comment on how it compares. Of course in a controlled environment it was very different to being in a real situation, but having done the course, I would say it is very worthwhile - if you're going to have or have got a liferaft, I would say it's essential to do it if you're going to want to be able to use the liferaft - if you're thinking of getting one, do so after the course, it would give you a chance to make an assesment of the features such as access ramp or ladder that you would choose.
That's a good point, my dad is insistent I should carry a liferaft and wants to buy me one for his peace of mind (the argument about usefulness and space is still ongoing)
The course might give me some insight into it.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
That's a good point, my dad is insistent I should carry a liferaft and wants to buy me one for his peace of mind (the argument about usefulness and space is still ongoing)
The course might give me some insight into it.
:clap3: A 4 man raft would easily fit on the cuddy roof or in the cockpit/cabin. If on the roof a hydrostatic release would be a bonus. :clap3:

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
The liferaft canister I have on my Strikeliner sits in its holder on top of a S/S frame between the rear side seats and on top of the fuel tank & cold box which slide out for access. When I get it back from service I'll post a picture.

As for the Sea survival course, I did the equivalent in France & it was invaluable. I'd recommend everyone to do it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm deffo going to do the sea survival course, fitting a liferaft would be a pita but doable I guess.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did this course a few weeks ago.... Actually really really good.

Reminder to self.... I never want to spend a Friday afternoon upside down in a liferaft with 6 blokes ever again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The South Korean tragedy had me thinking about this course this weekend, a worthy course for us all who spend time at sea.
I've done a couple of these now, last one last year in Southampton. Getting to experience jumping in with the jacket on, helping each other keep afloat etc. all valuable. Its tough hauling yourself into a liferaft without the ladder after swimming to it.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I did this course a few weeks ago.... Actually really really good.

Reminder to self.... I never want to spend a Friday afternoon upside down in a liferaft with 6 blokes ever again.
:laugh: Try doing the helicopter escape course, even more fun. :laugh:

·
Registered
314 Posts
:laugh: Try doing the helicopter escape course, even more fun. :laugh:
Try doing the submarine escape course.
Even better.
I did STCW 95 a couple of months ago as well.
Not only was it good fun and great team building but it also brought home how quick and easy things go to rat**** if it all goes wrong.
Only have to look at South Korea for evidence of that.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Try doing the submarine escape course.
Even better.
I did STCW 95 a couple of months ago as well.
Not only was it good fun and great team building but it also brought home how quick and easy things go to rat**** if it all goes wrong.
Only have to look at South Korea for evidence of that.
:laugh: The navy tried to get me into subs, a day at sea on a P&O boat and a day at sea on a Polaris boat, not for all the money in the world. P&O boats, hot bunk routine and stank of cabbage water and diesel and the Polaris boats although like hotels in comparison, were based in Scotland, no good for a Pompey rating. Would have done the "tower" but thought it a step too far, did the "dunker" in Vernon a couple of times as I was one of the safety divers there. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts