World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search tonight on the Rhyl Flats monitoring station and found that the sea temp is a good 2 degrees up on last year which is good news for an earlier start this year compared to the previous. Nothing that was not expected when you look back at this Winter, just confirms what most of us knew.Hope we we do not get a cold snap at the end of the month

·
Registered
580 Posts
yes right to my reeding been out of colwyn and holyhead diving and last few weeks its been 8c, though in truth its only gone down to 7 in november and december. Just for info inland fresh water lakes and quaries are always around 4c colder. Lets hope the summer rascals come sooner rather than later like last year.

f

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Aberporth buoy got up to 8.8C yesterday and with plenty of sunshine to come this week it will surely get into the 9C bracket soon. Fingers crossed we do not get a late cold snap - forecast models indicate it will turn more unsettled after mid-month but nothing like last year's chilly blast!

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
John, just a question you will be able to answer....if the water temp has been so high over the winter will it lead to a wet summer..as we seem to have better summers after a cold winter, or is it just my imagination.
Much appreciated, wyn.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I think that is a tough one. Sunny days and showers overnight would suit me best (I'm a veg-grower too)! It's important to look upstream with respect to what is going on: for example, a key reason for this recent stormy winter was what has been nicknamed the "Ridiculously Resilient Ridge" that kept forming over the western seaboard of the USA. This in turn made it very easy for cold Polar air to flood a long way south down its eastern flank into the central states of the USA - giving them the long hard winter. That very cold air then met subtropical air coming up around the Azores-Bermuda High. Where the two airmasses ran into each other - over the Atlantic, off Newfoundland, that's where all these monster storms were spawned. That's the easy bit: working out why that high kept forming is the real sod of a job! Basically though the point is that something going on over either the Arctic, the western pacific, or both, were the triggering factor.

So the path of the jet-stream will be important to us again this summer. A warmer sea surface can yield more moisture by evaporation, and the amount of moisture the air can carry is proportional to the air's temperature (it varies by 7% per degree C and the relationship works both ways, warmer or cooler) - that's why the rain in summer thunderstorms tends to be the heaviest you see all year round.

I guess the thing to do would to be to download water temp data for locations around our coasts and examine annual fluctuations: comparing data from 2006 and 2007 would be a start as one was very dry and the other very wet.

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Thank you , its just in my unscientific way I always found we had had a better summer after we had had a wildfowling ban...ie unable to shoot ducks due to a cold weather snap..
I was under the impression if the season behaved like we thought they should a gradual increase in sea temp would lead to a better summer..

·
Registered
4,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try this site for sea temp dont know how accurate it is but something to look at. Sea Temperature Water Temperatures
It says on this site

The measurements for the sea temperature in Rhyl, Wales are provided by the daily satellite readings provided by the NOAA satellite.

And their quoted figure is 7.8 degrees and is in agreement as the one quoted on the Rhyl flats site which I think is taken from this buoy.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Thats good to know its reasonably accurate. It does not have every venues water temp but it covers most areas.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just out of interest it appears the higher than usual sea temperatures are not higher than usual.

The following links provide average data taken over many years for sea temperature along with current. Holyhead is reporting the sea temperature is .1c higher than average, and aberporth is bang on average. On last year it is warmer but in average its completly normal

Holyhead Sea Temperature March Average, United Kingdom Water Temperatures

Holyhead Sea Temperature March Average, United Kingdom Water Temperatures

f

1 - 12 of 12 Posts