World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My mate has just bought a second hand Sea Trooper and the windows are needing a good clean. Someone said that if Brasso is used, it will take the scrapes and scores out. The windows are very cloudy and hard to see through at the minute. Any help or info would be much appreciated. :boat:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
brasso will probably make it worse. its an abrasive, so will just add lots more much much finer scratches to it already as perspex is pretty soft. the clouding is a fact of life with perspex, and nothing will restore it short of new windows. chemical breakdown of the plastic from prolonged exposure to UV

Note to self: cover windows in ambre solair factor 40 this summer! :idea:

seriously though, I wonder if it would work, better go patent the idea pronto before someone puts the word marine on bottles of sun tan lotion and charges 90 quid a pop for em

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Attached below is a guy who sells off cuts of Lexan Marguard on Ebay, this stuff is the dogs daggleys for windows, just google the name and see what comes up!

It does not scratch or discolour or loose it's optical performance!

Hope this is of some help

Dave S

(quote)
I have some larger pieces of the Lexan Margard and can cut to the sizes you need.
The price for 3 panels of 6mm 650 x 500mm is £60.00 total plus £9.00 delivery.
The Margard is the high performance scratch resistant unbreakable glazing.

Best Regards,
Andy Caley
[email protected]
Phone: 01482 333801
www.red-display.co.uk
(quote)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for all your replys, i'll let my mate know about the replacement windows. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Lexan is what is used for the windows, unlike perspex you can drill lexan without it shattering, it is also unbreakable. The cloudiness is usually caused by someone cleaning the windows with the wrong things, also salt and sand are a killer. not too sure about the brasso it has amonia in it which can react with the windows.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi. My mate has just bought a second hand Sea Trooper and the windows are needing a good clean. Someone said that if Brasso is used, it will take the scrapes and scores out. The windows are very cloudy and hard to see through at the minute. Any help or info would be much appreciated. :boat:
hi richard, this wouldnt happen to be 'the happy hooker' would it lol??

I remember the windows being very hard to see out of, I would imagine its a mixture of salt water as when we were always down luce bay/port logan in large swells the spray would totally cover the bow, even sitting at the steering we would get splashed.

Also never helped the fact paul and vinnie never gave the boat a jet wash the lazy buggers :unsure::g:, was always jason and myself that gave it the cleaning haha but dont ask them 2 theyll just deny they never cleaned it lol :boat::)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I noticed in our local caravan dealers there is a product available for 'restoring' caravan windows. Probably just a fine polish but maybe worth looking into?

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts