World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to try for Sea Trout for a while on the fly in saltwater but it's an estury that i fish at. I was wondering what kind flies i would use because the freshwater river they come from is milessss away. Would i use freshwater sea trout flies? any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check out Sea Trout Fishing by Hugh Falkus and no doubt there are other more up to date authors covering the subject. I'd try Sandeel type immitations for starters, on a tandem mount. At the end of the day you're trying to immitate something that they're actually feeding on before they enter fresh water, instead of just trying to provoke a preditory reaction. Also check out what the saltwater fishermen in Northern Europe are doing, there's been links to them fishing saltwater before on this forum. Good luck !!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wud fish up the river and fly fish for them at night u will get better results and this is prime time but if u can't fish the river u want to use silver bodied flies like bloody butcher,teal blue n silver on a 6lb leader

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
teal blue n silver
I find that a cr#p fly, not even suicidal par will touch it. Moc Morgan one of wales's most famous seatout fishermen also says its never worked for him (along with all the other people Ive talked to). Squirrel blue and silvers are a lot better. Tube flies work great, they are good sandeel imitations (work for bass too).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wud fish up the river and fly fish for them at night u will get better results and this is prime time
Can't argue with this. Try a waddington, with the mount yourself made from a 1/0 Aberdeen cut off at the bend, with a small treble tied on with 20lb nylon and dressed as a Stoats tail.

You can't beat Sewin at night =)

·
Registered
883 Posts
I find that a cr#p fly, not even suicidal par will touch it. Moc Morgan one of wales's most famous seatout fishermen also says its never worked for him (along with all the other people Ive talked to). Squirrel blue and silvers are a lot better. Tube flies work great, they are good sandeel imitations (work for bass too).
Got to say I hate it myself. Used up in South Uist on more times than I car to remember , but only when I run out of other ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts