World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my wee girls first day at school today and a first for me too. Normally I would think the education department detailing a 11-12.30 school day was plain stupid but on this occasion it was a good shout as it left some time after father duties to get the yak on the water.

Nicolas and Gerry were coming over from the Glasgow area to catch a few Cod down at Seacliff and I planned to join them. They were on the water well before me but I guessed they would be easy enough to spot.

Anyhows down to Seacliff and paid my £2 at the barrier.

I got ready quickly and headed down the path to the beech. It had been chucking it down all morning but was now dry and very still. There was a flat calm sea in front of me and the breakers which had chucked me out last week were mere ripples. The path down to the beech was really chewed up with tyre tracks. As I later found out Nicolas had thought his wee Peugot was a 4X4 and tried to drive it to the waters edge. Mad Frenchman that lad. He luckily got help from a local in a digger or his car would have been in real trouble.

I paddled out to the mark that had been prolific and tied up at a conveniently placed bouy. First drop and after 5 mins up comes the first Cod.

As you can see this one had previously had a lucky escape with a chunk missing so I decided to give it another break and set it free.

Nicolas and Gerry were on the horizon but were fishing in the same area as I had found barren last week. I decided to wait till they saw me as I had already paddled all the way out and didn't fancy paddling all the way to them to tell them to return to where I already was.

The guys spotted me and headed over.

We had a good natter as they had been out to the Bass Rock and visited the cave where they befriended a seal. The seal was seen quite a few times today once close in to Nicolas' yak. Gerry had a Fulmar for company who kept knicking his bait from his Hokkis. There were quite a few sightings of sea trout jumping today too.

Gerry was telling me he had got his fishfinder working again after having similar problems to me(Depth stuck on 0.6ft) I tried the default settings and a few other tips he had but this time out I was getting either no reading or depths of over 1000ft flashing intermitently. Not to worry as I had a few marks ready this time so at least I knew where to fish. Must see if it is still in warranty but I fear not.

The fishing was pretty slow today. Gerry got a double shot of table sized Cod shortly after he came over and Nicolas caught a decent Pollock and his custumary few Mackeral. He also weighed in with a wee coalie and was definately the species champ today.

I wasn't having much joy and only had a couple of smallish Cod in the next hour or so. I had to keep one which swallowed the bait to deeply for me to get the hook out. It will do the kids for a wee fish supper.

At this point I was temped to have a paddle to the Bass Rock myself as the sea was so calm and the wind non existent but I decided to stay in company and boy was I glad I did.

I was drifting directly over the mark where I had a 5lb Cod last week and my rod shook violently. I struck and hit into a dead weight. Again I thought I was snagged, same as last week, but the reel was still turning and I was beginning to lift what was on the other end. Another huge head shake and I started to wonder how I could cross my fingers and reel in the fish at the same time.

Having caught Cod all summer I am relatively decent and knowing when I have a good one on and this felt better than anything I have caught this year.

When I saw the colour in the water I really started to get nervous. The fish was much bigger than last weeks 5lber and I knew it was my biggest Cod yet. It looked about the size of the 8.5lb Pollock I caught a wee while back.

I managed to lift it on board and take a few pics. I daren't take the hook out for this as one flick and he would be gone. First job done I had a record of the fish. As I was wondering what to do next he flicked his tail and splashed overboard. The hook held firm and I got him on board again. I had decided to take him home as he will feed the 4 of us and I really wanted a weight to set my new PB.

I paddled over to Nicolas who knew I had caught a good one. I think he heard my whoops of delight 500 yards away. Nicolas took a few snaps and I will hopefully get them to append to this thread. Gerry paddled over for a look too. We weren't going to be out much longer so all decided to have a paddle over to the big Cod mark. The tide was running hard now and I had high hopes but to no avail. I lost a couple of rigs trying to hold bottom and that was it for another day.

We all paddled in and I exitedly got the scales out. The guesses were 7 and 8lb but the scales read 10lb 2oz. I weighed it a few times to be sure and have checked the scales since I got home. My fist double figure fish of any kind. Over the moon.

The only problem now is how do I fit it in the deep fat fryer.

Thanks for a great paddle Nicolas and Gerry and look forward to seeing you at the Scottish meet on 5th September at Torness. Hope you don't mind Nicolas but I stole your photo for this thread.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
great report as usual mate,topped off with a cracking fish.thats a real decent summer fish.congratulations on your first double ,the way you are going im sure it wont be the last !
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
great stuff been a long time since i went doon there and paid my 2 bucks, spooky place when it gets dark, nice double well done

·
Registered
377 Posts
and that is definately a fash

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
great report mate,photos are brilliant and thats a cracker of a cod,well done.

tight lines
wee jollys(dad).......oh..well done on the pb.:clap3:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Fantastic mate,
top drawer report as we've come to expect! Lovely fish Si and congrats on your first double. Sure there are more and bigger to come. You certainly picked the right day for it. Will there be more reports now the wee ones at school?
Look forward to the next one.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Specimen Hunter
3,295 Posts
nice fish fella, what was the final wieght?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The final weight was 10lb 2oz. I don't think I have caught one much bigger than 5lb before so was a massive jump in my PB. My previous best fish was an 8.5lb Pollock caught quite recently. I have only been fishing for just over a year, less than that in a Yak, so it is still easy to beat PBs and catch new species. The yak is making it more difficult by the month however.

I am hoping the kids getting older will lead to a bit more time on the water. The wife, to be honest, has been really good about giving me time off for decent behaviour and tops it off by making a mean beer batter.

I doubt I will be in the good books much longer as I am planning on getting a new yak.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Another day with you in the east side and that was awesome ..the paddle was excellent and that fish you caught a WOOPER !We shall meet again in the future ,well done simon !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
:clap::clap::clap::clap:
great report mate, topper of a fish too, well done...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts