World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had many posts giving me advice so I feel obliged to provide information after my 1st Cyprus visit. I spoke to tackle dealers, locals and divers to obtain any helpful advice for myself and for this report.

Don’t give fishing a high priority if you visit Cyprus! There are few fish. The water is glass clear and there is little sea life inshore.

Even seaweed is limited, no prawns, very few little fish and little to see if you snorkel except a mason's yard of strange shaped rocks, passage ways and caves. The limestone and sandstone erode into a maze of alien shapes. Ledger fishing is almost impossible in most places! The rocky coastline can be quite dangerous for children and those who are not sure footed! The irregular sharp sufaces are unlike any in the UK! Not a good place to be at night!

It is said that the best fishing is from the rocks, not beaches, northwards from the Tombs of the Kings. St. Georgios Island area, a short drive up the coast, and Sea Caves is recommended. North of Coral Bay has some good rock marks. You need a good road map and follow the unmade tracks towards the shoreline!!! 4 wheel drive helps!

If the water is cloudy and the sea rough ledger with very small weight and .5 metre fluorocarbon trace with 1 hook. No.6 is the largest used, No.8 most popular. Line thickness maximum .30 or .35, .25 preferred for bream. Various bream are the main target for the table and wrasse for fun, grouper and Moray eel can be caught also small barracuda! When the water is clear only float fish for mullet other fish will be out at sea! The same fish are here all year - there is no best season. However, I was told by one dealer that after the summer, early Autumn was best.

Good size mullet can be found in the harbours. Locals use a string of small hooks wrapped around and pushed into a ball of bread paste. Wire cages or feeders stuffed with bread paste with short baited snoods is also a technique! Cheese and boiled egg can be used for mullet.

Small rag worm is used and can be bought from tackle dealers. Live shrimp is recommended and small fish live baited under a large float. Squid also is used. Winkles and a few limpets can be found in pools or close to the waterline. Most fishermen appear to use bread flake or paste and many use a flour and water thick glue mixed with fish oil or mashed sardine. Ground bait with bread paste or flour and water. Rice can be used and toast works well with bream. A few pieces of bread flake will soon show if any fish are around. Float fish next to your foating breadflake. Small sardines and other small fish buried in cooking salt will harden up and stay fresh. The larger local supermarkets have fish counters with squid, mackerel, cuttlefish, sardines and prawns.

Locals use 14-16 poles without reels from the rocks. A 10-12 ft telescopic, a 40gr spinning rod, or a carp rod would do. Beach casters not needed!

Fly fishing from the shore met with disbelief - just not done here! Worth trying?

Most serious fishing is from boats using nets or long lines. The many inshore reefs are popular. Trolling or down rigging for snapper, bonito and Dorado is the main boat angling. Tuna can be found 5 to 20 miles offshore May to July. Boat fishing trips can be booked at the harbour or through the many travel/tourist offices. Many “fishing” trips are only a couple of hour and compare with Cornish mackerel fishing trips - a good way of entertaining tourists and getting their cash!!!!

Local boat hire in Paphos was limited to speed boats charged by the half hour!

East of the harbour on the seafront there is a dive shop advertising bait and tackle.

Eraclouse & Pidias, Fishing Tackle & Scuba Diving Shop, 2, Karnavalou str. (junction with Makarios Ave) Tel 26 932 363
( email [email protected] ) has rag worm & maggots. They can provide advise and have an excellent range of rods, reels, lures and terminal tackle. Lures are cheaper than U.K! They are in Old (Upper) Paphos close to the market, beside the bus stop and close to the municipal car park.

Opposite is another sports shop with a smaller fishing section N. Taliotis Shop, 5C, Karnavalou str. Tel 06-234116

Fishing Boat Trips with “The Angler” (boat) www.theangler-paphos.com email [email protected] go out from Paphos harbour. Tel Elias +357 9942 1044 or Claire +357 99187044 They advertise for deep sea all year, barracuda/Dora do/bonito August - December, Tuna May-August, Shark all year.

http://agrino.org/fishing/htmldocs/sltwtrfish.html This site gives details of the fish which can be caught and the seasons.

The area around Latchi on the north coast was recommended for fishing from shore and boat. Boats can be hired by the full or half day or by the hour from George's Watersports Boat Hire in Latchi Harbour (TEl 99 632 840) for about £70 (Cypiot) per day. They will provide tackle and advise, and even powerboat lessons before you go! Hagle down the prive for full 8 hour days!

For other tourist information where to stay, eat, car hire or any other help PM me.

If you go to Google Earth I have pinned several photos of the coast and harbours within an hour or so of Paphos. The site also does give a good view from the air!!

Do please add to this info as its a wonderful place and I am going back. I will catch more than 1 peacock wrasse next time!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
You are the MAN! I've just booked to go to Paphos at the nd of August. I was thinking about a light travel spinning rod - what do you think?

Ferdi

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I took a 10-40oz Abu telescopic. Worth taking a small and large bubble float to get the casting distance. In August you will have garfish and if you can catch them livebait under a large float for Dorado, barracuda, bluefish, jacks! Its too rocky to use them freeline style! Might just be a chance! Otherwise its bream on bread or mullet! I found that Chinese fish sauce/oil which is mainly anchovy essence mixed with bread or flour seemed to attrack small fish but there are few there!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry that it was too late Norrie! We went end of April/early May for the first time. I tried the forum and other web sites and got very little info and as Paphos is so popular thought I'd gather the info for the forum. Lovely place, nice people shame about the fishing! I think Sept4mber/ October might be better although one dealer said it was the same all year for shore fishing! There are fish there if you have a boat - see this site, but whtch out for the surprise suggestive photo if the wife is about!!!!!!!

http://pws.prserv.net/dd/TMFishingHome/TMFishingHome.html

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just found out how to add photos and edit first post! Hope this helps. Plenty more info and photos so send me a PM if you need details!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Nice piccies, Pedro. I've just been reading the Rough Guide to Cyprus - they warn you to make lots of noise and splash around when wading into the water on sandy beaches as there are lots of rays and skates with barbed tails just waiting in the shallows to whip you. Sounds a bit like treading for flatties :unsure: with a bit more excitement!

Ferdi

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going north up the Tomb of Kings Road towards Coral Bay there is a very wide shingle beach beside the road. In May it was empty all day. There is car parking right beside the beach. From the reefs offshore and small boats netting I thought that it might be a good place for night fishing for ray. I intended to go snorkling to seach out the rocks and tackle grabbing bottoms but never got to do it! Be interested if anyone has tried there!

Going bacxk to Cyprus - enjoyed the holiday, hated the fishing!!! Be grateful for any extra inormation, tackle shops, techniques, catch reports?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I am going to Latchi(northwest) in Cyprus next tue.
4th sep............
am gonna try for mullet as you suggest with a small tele spiining rod
with a small fixed spool and wagg floats and small hooks for bread fishing.

just gotta get a 2foot tele rod to fit in the ol suitcase.

if I get fishing and catch anything ...or not.....ill let yazz know when I return.

Gaz..:)

great post with all the suggestions by the way.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good Thread. I have just come back from Paphos (cyprus) and locals do just what Pedro said. They were using long poles with very small hooks baited with tiny pices of prawn. From what I saw they were doing quiet well. I swa several Bream l;ike fish and a couple of ells caught.

·
Registered
221 Posts
nice thread. I too have fished the shores of cyprus with a few locals. If you go in season octopus fishing can be very productive. not something we will be used to here but certainly worth the experiance. best results are from the many piers at lowish water. You will see the octupus in the water. Lower an octopus jig (which can be found at any scuba/fishing shop out there) close to the octopus and 9 times out of 10 you will see the octopus lunge for the jig. Let me warn you they always look smaller in the water than out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
God... it looks like the fishing is $hite:sad2:
Its the Med Steve and unless you are fishing well out for Tuna or Swordfish etc it is $hite, John. :sun:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great photos Leon - some of them are the same guys I saw fishing! Even the same boats and similar dead and wasted fish!

Thanks all for adding to the thread - be nice to get more about how to catch the fish there - other than the mullet!

At Latchi I was recommended to hire a boat for the day and troll Rapallas around an island! Perhaps next time

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was watching a guy fishing with a pole at night down in ayai nappa harbour, just passed all the fish eateries didn't seem to be catching much, further back along the avenue the rocky shores are treacherous, was also watching the local kids (under twelve) throw baited baskets out then jumping in with goggles on to take them further out on these rocks and the surf was quite bad, bloody nutters.....

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well been a long time but planning on going back in the winter. Will the fishing be any better?

I have been told that the high mineral content in the water inshore prevents the plankton at the start of the food chain. Therefore few prawns small fish etc. Thus few big fish. Need to go off shore.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts