World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday seaford was being battered by waves wind and rain. Following a boozy night I wake up a little fuzzy headed to see the sun is out, the wind has dropped and the sea was calm. Better still I'm off work tomorrow. So some well articulated negotiations with the Domina got me a pass for tonight.

An afternoon walk on the beach with the family showed some nice gullies and sand patches between the crossing and the kiosk.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get fresh bait so had a rummage in my draw of the freezer. A wrap of frozen sticky black, some slippers, squid, mussel, razor clams and a few sprats. That had to be enough.

On the beach by 7pm rod one with a size 2 wishbone was in the water by 715. Sticky and mussel and sticky and squid.

Rod two 3/0 three hooked clipped rig. Sprat on the top, razor clam in the middle and squid on the bottom. In the water by 730.

Rod one came in a bit later with ting one on sticky and mussel. I switch the tipping between the squid, mussel and slipper. All produced Tings. One a chuck for the first two and half hours.

Rod 2 had a big knock. Bought it in, sprat gone. Back out again. Later a few rattles then a knock, I feel something heavy, then it's gone. Reeling in, then all of a sudden very heavy. Ended up bringing in a big ball of net weed and rope. Two clean hooks only the squid remained.

As the other rod had just been bringing in small ting after ting, I sent out a live bait rig, but the baited hook was cleaned each time. By 945 the bites had stopped and the only thing caught was a plastic bag.

Switched down to size fours, clean hooks was all i got. By 11pm I packed it in. Was getting tired, knew the Domina would be clock watching and nothing biting.

It was great to get out and caught 5 Tings. I have some nice beach pics from earlier in the day to post up tomorrow. The beach was very quiet this pm, but noticed lots of people fishing this morning. Hopefully some more reports to come.

Was a shame nothing flat or silvery to show for it, but I wouldn't have wanted to have done anything else.

Have a good week all, and Neptune please leave my beach alone, ta!:giveup:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple of pics from yesterday, sandy gully and PB rope

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Mate,

Can't believe the fishing has been so bad after such a good blow, normaly the coloured water keeps the small 'tings away and the bigger fish make an appearance !
If i could have got down i think i would have tried Tide Mills on the day tide with a load of maddies dug up the river and a few whites if any were about on the beach, some huge flounders normaly get caught every year about this time from there.
Apparently it's been the same Worthing/Shoreham/Brighton way as well.
Going back a couple of months ago i fished Lancing Green beach the night straight after the storms blew themselves out during the week (shift work comes in handy some times !) had the best nights fishing i'd had in ages, wife couldn't believe it!
Took home over thirty five pounds of fish, had a load of 'very big' whiting topped by one of 17'' (43cm) biggest whiting i've ever had from the beach (took a photo), also had a small codling and some nice sized sand dabs.
Didn't stop all night, a real redletter night of fishing !
I know we're in Feb' now, not the best month for catches but still thought a few decent fish would have put in an appearance some where !
Still there's always next time as we always say, at least you got out and enjoyed it :thumbs:

Tight lines,
Don.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Don, only having frozen bait probably didn't help either. I'd like to give tidemills a go sometime.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Hi Mate,

Can't believe the fishing has been so bad after such a good blow, normaly the coloured water keeps the small 'tings away and the bigger fish make an appearance !
If i could have got down i think i would have tried Tide Mills on the day tide with a load of maddies dug up the river and a few whites if any were about on the beach, some huge flounders normaly get caught every year about this time from there.
Apparently it's been the same Worthing/Shoreham/Brighton way as well.
Going back a couple of months ago i fished Lancing Green beach the night straight after the storm blew itself out during the week (shift work comes in handy some times !) had the best nights fishing i'd had in ages, wife couldn't believe it!
Took home over thirty five pounds of fish, had a load of 'very big' whiting topped by one of 17'' (43cm) biggest whiting i've ever had from the beach (took a photo), also had a small codling and some nice sized sand dabs.
Didn't stop all night, a real redletter night of fishing !
I know we're in Feb' now, not the best month for catches but still thought a few decent fish would have put in an appearance some where !
Still there's always next time as we always say, at least you got out and enjoyed it :thumbs:

Tight lines,
Don.
Its easy to believe actually, ablow after weeks of ca
Lm is great, a set of storms day in, day out can be very detremental, esp with all thisrain runoff spreading outof the rivermouths, we arent talking about a refreshing stir up here, we are talking massive burials of mussel beds, uncovering of silt buried seabeds, snags, crablife and everything else getting destroyed, it will takea long time to recover, there are currently lug bieng washed up regularly at dungy, cant be good for the lugbeds???
No food, no fish, too much food, harder to find the fish, im just waiting a few weeks for it all to settle down now

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Superb report frns, superb if had a lot more sillyspeak it could of come from the captain himself, thanks for the pics
Cheers Craig, was hoping to have been able to report a good sized fish on the live bait rig you gave me. Should have tried that earlier. As soon as I cast that out the bites stopped.

Your points on the storms makes a lot of sense, and guessing the seaford shingle is round the corner at burling gap!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No , mate, it s all gone at the gap, perhaps at cuckmere, or up on thd road lol
Certainly a load on the road, and I meant cuckmere, don't n
Know why I typed burling gap:doh:

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Commander.............sorry just dragged myself away from C & P !
Nice report and thanks for the comms updates through the evening yesterday. Good pic of the beach and nice rope, pretty pink tone, probably drifted from a westerly seaside resort.
Looking at what's gone on over there, I'm not sure where the fish will be, hoping to try and find out Friday.
Kirk out

·
Registered
536 Posts
Lug being washed up at Dungie is quite common after big storms, seen it first hand years ago after some big blows.
Bought a load of bait but needn't have bothered! picked up lug, razorfish, clams etc all along the beach, had a bucket full.
Funny thing is it fished realy well but like you say the storms weren't as ferocious as this lot we've just had.
Have heard East Worthing beach is 80% devoid of sand right down to low tide line now, showing bedrock!
Never known that before !

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Commander.............sorry just dragged myself away from C & P !
Nice report and thanks for the comms updates through the evening yesterday. Good pic of the beach and nice rope, pretty pink tone, probably drifted from a westerly seaside resort.
Looking at what's gone on over there, I'm not sure where the fish will be, hoping to try and find out Friday.
Kirk out
Might have to get the soap box out and look and the c&p myself.

What's the weather looking like for this Friday? Her IN doors is OUT next Friday, then I go away again. So if there isn't a hurricane blowing this could be the next session?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Might have to get the soap box out and look and the c&p myself.

What's the weather looking like for this Friday? Her IN doors is OUT next Friday, then I go away again. So if there isn't a hurricane blowing this could be the next session?
Commander............get the soap box out, cover your head with it and say la la la very loudly, then look at C & P...........afterwards tell me which of the activities is insanity ?

With regard to the real issue, windguru is borderline but there is still time, regular Starfleet channel will be open.
Kirk out

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you tend to get on sprats? They are bloody cheap in tescos i know that!
The guy in seaford angler chucked them in for free, thought I'd give em a whirl. Something liked the first one. Looks like a fish, smells like a fish, might just catch a bigger fish.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Commander............get the soap box out, cover your head with it and say la la la very loudly, then look at C & P...........afterwards tell me which of the activities is insanity ?

With regard to the real issue, windguru is borderline but there is still time, regular Starfleet channel will be open.
Kirk out
Will do captain, and comm's will be open as usual.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
The guy in seaford angler chucked them in for free, thought I'd give em a whirl. Something liked the first one. Looks like a fish, smells like a fish, might just catch a bigger fish.
My old man swears by them for dabs, I have never caught a damn thing on em

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
My old man swears by them for dabs, I have never caught a damn thing on em
Maximus
Doggies and a small dab on a whole sprat on a 4/0 for me, both species close in top of the tide.. Bit soft, lots of whipping required !
Stevo T

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a few left in the freezer, can try them out again next session.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hopefully getting down there next weekend and see what's left of Seaford. Thanks for the report. Interesting stuff. Sounds like it's all changed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts