World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just a quick report this time!
Fished yesterdays day tide 2.15pm h't' for three hours, two up one down - went down on the bike again, nice ride out.
Exactly the same tide time as two weeks ago when I posted, wind negligible and no weed.
Same result, had 16 'big Mackerel' all at long distance, few were 14''- 15'' long, didn't weigh them but they 'were big', thought I had a decent Bass on at one time the way it was scrapping (using long distance carp rod again)
Nothing in close.
Holiday makers were getting p'd off and came over to see what I was using and why they weren't catching but I explained it was the distance they were casting - not getting out to deeper water where they were staying on this day.
Didn't see any guys fishing on the bottom catch a thing near me, maybe further up they might have been ?

Oh, by the way guys when you fish bottom baits midway between the buckle and the cliffs do you drop in fairly close now to avoid the snags at distance ?
Reason I ask is I lost a set of gear this time and nearly lost another on something out there, is it a drop off or a mussel bed ?

Tight lines guys,
Don :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There are some snags from the left hand side of the buckle car park looking out to sea. Not to sure how far east they go from there. If you were fishing the car park and you got snagged.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There are some snags from the left hand side of the buckle car park looking out to sea. Not to sure how far east they go from there. If you were fishing the car park and you got snagged.
Was fishing by the first set of steps down to the beach in the free parking zone further on from the buckle car park, straight out.
Do you know what the snags are, like I asked - drop off to deeper water over shingle, mussel beds or rocks ?
Whereabouts do you have to be fishing to be snag free at distance now if you're bottom fishing.
I know tide mills is snag free, but along the deeper water stretch by the buckle ?
I suppose if I'd been fishing close In for Bass in rough weather or not casting so far I'd have been ok !

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i take it you werent fishing on top of the cable ?, theres a sign by the path, thats a bit east of the car park?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i take it you werent fishing on top of the cable ?, theres a sign by the path, thats a bit east of the car park?
No, not as far as I know Vinny.
Didn't see the sign you're talking about referring to a cable being out there, think I was further along.
I know years ago a club mate of mine lost quite a bit of tackle during a night match along there mid winter but he did have the consolation of landing the biggest Cod any one in the club had ever seen caught from Seaford beach - 23.5 lb ! which of course won him the match lol.
He did say that before he had the cod at the top of the tide when he was losing gear and getting snagged, some casts he pulled in some clumps of mussels ?
Any one else had that ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
The clear areas are between Edinburgh road and the little cafe on the prom at west view, hope this helps.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are going to need longer bungee cords if you keep catching that many! Good bike session.
Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed it, some were filleted for the smoker and the rest went in to the freezer for bait for the winter - stocked up now!
The ride down was a bit hairy this time though.
Metal ratchet strap flung off a lorry in front of me on the A23 and nearly took my head off - just ducked out of the way in time!
Think it glanced the car behind me then shot off in to the barrier :eeks:
When I got down to Seaford I noticed all the Mackerel that got stranded on the high tide line last week had disappeared.
Foxes and Gulls must have had a field day with that lot.
The tides being higher on the following days could have taken them away or possibly all the locals that saw the photos all run down there and stocked up lol :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clear areas are between Edinburgh road and the little cafe on the prom at west view, hope this helps.
Cheers for that Garry.
I'll have to bear that in mind this coming winter although I do like Tide Mills as well.
Think that's because I won a few matches fishing along there in winter at night years past.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed it, some were filleted for the smoker and the rest went in to the freezer for bait for the winter - stocked up now!
The ride down was a bit hairy this time though.
Metal ratchet strap flung off a lorry in front of me on the A23 and nearly took my head off - just ducked out of the way in time!
Think it glanced the car behind me then shot off in to the barrier :eeks:
When I got down to Seaford I noticed all the Mackerel that got stranded on the high tide line last week had disappeared.
Foxes and Gulls must have had a field day with that lot.
The tides being higher on the following days could have taken them away or possibly all the locals that saw the photos all run down there and stocked up lol :D
Not good on the unsecured load bit. Bike or car that could have been deadly. When you do the smoking does it upset the neighbours?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not good on the unsecured load bit. Bike or car that could have been deadly. When you do the smoking does it upset the neighbours?

That's what I thought at the time, could tell you about a lot of biking incidents going fishing and otherwise (some side splittingly funny) I've had like that but this site is supposed to be about fishing lol.
As to the smoking, I've got a purpose bought s/steel fish smoker I bought from Veals (had it a number of years now)
Runs on meth's burners at the bottom, then there's an inset tray over this which you put your wood chips on.
Then another tray over that which the fillets go on and finally the main all encompassing lid with an adjustable vent to regulate the air flow and smoke given off.
Doesn't make that amount of smoke if you regulate it properly, less than most barbecues anyway and the flavour is lovely - especially when using Mackerel.
You often see smoked Mackerel as a starter when you go out for a meal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts