World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - probebly been asked a 1000 times already but some first hand feedback would be useful.
I am contemplating buying a decent little outfit and the above two models seem to be vying for first choice along with possibly an Alaska 500.
My main considerations are ability to fish two maybe three in comfort / reasonable turn of speed along with fair economy. Max 50 hp. (not on the Strikeliner!!!). If there was a family fun element to boot ie. ringos etc. that would be a bonus. This would be a sheer extravagance and would involve me getting rid of my current toy a Honda Transalp 600v (very good condition 10000 miles). Any thoughts comments, review links, and stories relevent greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi,
I owned a Seahog Shortie for sixteen years. First had a 30hp Yam on the back, performed well, about 17mph with 2 persons. Upgraded to a yam 50hp 4stroke, as far as i'm concerned about the limit for this boat, It flew along(30mph), ideal for your ringos ect. If you are thinking of buying one, make sure you have a good look at the points were the boat sits on the rollers of the trailer, If it was not surported with enough rollers along the keel you could have crazing in the gel coat caused by pressure points. The other area to look at and check, is the transom, have a good look from in the drainage well in the boat, check up towards the top of the transom with a torch, also when the engine is on tilt, try and see if the transom flexes alot when you lift the engine leg up and down. If these point both check out ok, in my opinion you will not find a better boat for a couple of you to fish from.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Alaska 500 for my money. With a 50 on the back ideal. Will take more speed in rougher weather than a hog due to hull shape. The hog will go faster than the alaska in flat calm conditions but you will loose the advantage if there is a chop. Alaska also a lot quieter on the anchor, no hull slap.

The hog is a great boat but low freeboard if family youngsters are involved in the fun. Also a consideration if you are 3 up in a hog with a following sea, you will find the waves come very close to the top of the stern.

Try them out on the water if you can before you buy.

Strikeliner is really a totally different boat and will not have the capacity to do the fun bit of your wants.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd plump for the Alaska as well. I've owned one for a few years. Powered by a Mariner 60 4 stroke, fuel consumption is good, speed in good conditions with 2 on board is up to 30mph and I've fished 4 in relative comfort, (keep the gear down to a minimum). It's a very good sea boat, I've returned home in a force 7 and big waves a couple of times, but by taking it easy we had no problems. The only drawback to them is that they can slam a little, certainly more than a similar sized Orkney. Fine at anchor though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the replies - I have looked at the Alaska but they are thin on the ground as a used boat. They have always appeared to be a BIG boat for their size presumably because of the high gunnals. I don't suppose any of these three are actually bad just a bit different that may suit different needs. I will keep you all posted as to the outcome - once again many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts