World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are forum members thoughts on the seahog shortie and seahog hunter boats. im thinking of heading over from belfast to look at a few ive seen on boats and outboards in england for around the £3500-£4000 mark.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hi fergal we used to have the shortie imo a great little starter boat,found it quite stable at rest slammed a bit in choppy seas as all cathedral hulls, disliked the low free board tho!all in all a sound little boat hope this helps regards steve

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks steve, i mostly do pike fishing on big irish loughs but was hopeing to get into tope fishing and thought the shortie may be a good choice

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had the SeaHog Commadore, 17 1/2 footer, loved it, fast, stable and roomy, The Hunter and shortie are around 15ft, I thought they would be too small, OK for 2 people, no more, Great starter boats in my opinion.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Hiya, I have a Shortie....Boat that is....:blink: and cant fault it, the low freeboard can easily be dealt with by fitting handrails, which I have yet to do....I fish regularly and comfortably with 3, tho', 2 is ideal...plenty room then....also, as has been pointed out in another thread, the cuddy is a tad short, and if its raining and you are sitting in the cuddy, your knees get wet....hopefully, a small canopy is being made for me,...:)

But these aint problems, once you get used to them...

It is also a dream to tow.....usually they are on a Snipe Galvanised trailer...

The hunter is the same boat AFAIK, only it has a longer Cuddy...:)

Have fun in ireland.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
First boat was a Seahog Hunter, and she was a fine little craft. An excellent choice for a first time boat. As as been mentioned the freeboard is a little on the low side, but don't let that put you off. An easy towing and launching boat.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have had the Seahog Hunter and the Seajeep.
Did a lot of fishing all around Scotland. The freshwater lochs for trout, char & pike.
Sea for Common skate, tope, pollack, cod and lots of other species. Brilliant!
You can launch in under 10'' of water. It's light enough not to need a braked trailer with most family saloon cars.
Downside - limited space, low freeboard and when anchored in a light chop an irritating slapping noise.
All boats are a compromise - the Seahog 15' hull is as good as any 8/10

·
Registered
33 Posts
they are great boats i have had a hunter then shortie and the seajeep. you should get a nice boat in the price range you have quoted.a 30 hp motor is big enough, 4 stroke would be nice. the newer boats have higher freeboard.
if you came over on the ferry to stranraer there is a chandlers just 10 miles from the terminal at stranraer. i am sure he has some seahogs in at the moment.
he also let you do a sea trial if you arrange well in advance.hope this is of some help to you
jon

http://ardwellmarine.co.uk/INDEX.htm

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ive got a seajeep ,excellent for two ,three can be a bit cramped but if you keep it tidy its fine,stopped noticing the slap,very easy to launch and retrieve ,always felt safe but as I am new to boat fishing I dont go out unless the forecast says smooth to slight .Got a 50hp on the back so when its flat it goes QUITE FAST.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hiya, I have a Shortie....Boat that is....:blink: and cant fault it, the low freeboard can easily be dealt with by fitting handrails, which I have yet to do....I fish regularly and comfortably with 3, tho', 2 is ideal...plenty room then....also, as has been pointed out in another thread, the cuddy is a tad short, and if its raining and you are sitting in the cuddy, your knees get wet....hopefully, a small canopy is being made for me,...:)

But these aint problems, once you get used to them...

It is also a dream to tow.....usually they are on a Snipe Galvanised trailer...

The hunter is the same boat AFAIK, only it has a longer Cuddy...:)

Have fun in ireland.
Ditto this reply. Three up in my Shortie today. Big swell and chop. No problem. :)
NO FISH BIG PROBLEM!:uhuh:

·
Banned
820 Posts
take it you were at dunbar again david??

how does the water look, glear or manky??
Hi Les, Nice and clear.
Fish showing on the sounder off Torness. But no joy. Were they fish? Not sure I can trust the sounder's ID of them?

I'm going to post a thread on that sounder issue?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the replies lads. the boat i have at the minute should be sold tommorow and ive cashed in my shares at work so now i just have to look around for the one i want. i think im drawn to the greater deck space of the shortie though.
thank for the links too dave and john:notworthy

·
Banned
820 Posts
thanks for all the replies lads. the boat i have at the minute should be sold tommorow and ive cashed in my shares at work so now i just have to look around for the one i want. i think im drawn to the greater deck space of the shortie though.
thank for the links too dave and john:notworthy
Fergal just another point about the Shortie. The freeboard is a bit higher on this version. The mouldings that run from the cuddy to the stern are higher.
If you are a Pike fisher like I am you do have a bit more room too to swing a longer rod around fror spinning etc if you have 2 or 3 in the boat with you. The little seat at the cuddy is very handy to step up on for spotting and casting.

I was out 3 up in my one yesterday big chop and big swell with the horizon dissapearing alarmingly at times. The wee boat just rides it like a cork. Even motoring into the wind fairly hard very little water comes round and over the cuddy to wet you.

Don't forget to haggle a bit with your dealer. Flashing the bottom line cash you wan't to pay can work miracles. Don't just take the set price paricularly if he has more than one in stock.

Good luck and enjoy.
Dave.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll try to remember those points when im buying dave, cheers.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi Norrie It worked fine. I drilled bleed holes top and bottom of the unit to get the oil out and let me lift and lower the motor. Remember I have no motorised tilt/trim. o the hydrailic unit wasn't doing much in the 1st place other than holding the motor up for towing and reverse thrust. I sealed these back up with O rings and self tapping screws.
It towed Ok with a block of wood in it to keep it up enough. The only minor problem is in reverse as there is very little resistance now. But docking was no problem.
Did about 8 miles or so looking for fish (none) and the motor was fine.

Cheers,
Dave.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts