World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
being as i am getting pms on this i thought of giving this a try out ?
some will call this whistle blowing but i dont care as i think this is what everyone out there wants on a forum so here goes nothing??
this is a general and personal experiance of what to find at seaton and axemouth south devon ? first off some pics sorry about quality but not impressed with mobile phone pic so here goes?

a god veiw of the venue from the golf course notice the laggon at the entrance and the reef off the mouth as you can see alovely venue to fish

THIS IS LOW WATER SHOT ACROSS LAGOON TOWARDS AXEMOUTH BEACH

SAME SHOT UP SEATON BEACH NOTICE HOW STEEP IT IS

LOOKING TOWARDS THE RIVERMOUTH FROM SEATON BEACH.
NOTICE CHICKEN CHUCKERS IN ACTION AND PLUGGERS IN DISTACE
what to expect well the obviouse mackeral and gars the gar fishing can be outstanding at times if conditions right scad pollack and bass to feathers lures or spinners loads of light line fun?
the river mouth axemouth side is good for mullet thick and thin lip also good for bass and pollack up to and after dark
you can fish for mullet in and around the harbour seaton side best and low water better as they get trapped in pockets and gullys waiting the pushing tide also the river mouth on low spring tides reveals a lagoon the deeper water holds mullet, bass, and when they are waiting sea trout? note any seatrout caught are suposed to be released as per e.a ruling south devon migratory fish?
seaton beach bottom fishing best nights and early mornings rays dabs plaice pouting pollock gurnard etc depending on rig bait etc its out there?
there is also an artifical boulder defence at beer end of beach this can produce on spinning gear as the bass boats come in and out of beer hole quite close here watch the tide and footing?
you will find on the axmouth side seaton tackle shop and in seaton itself
outdoor sports and leisure both do a good range of tackle and outdoor sports is recmmended for you yakkers and lure tarts
GOOD DEALS ON KAYACKS AND FISHING GEAR HERE SO WORTH A LOOK?
also good canoeing club and instuctors at axmouth harbour get lessons first buy later:thumbs:
also near by is beer this is home to self drive fishing boats and a couple of charter boats exellent fishing can be had off beer head good gurnard, fishing pollack, tope, doggies, hounds, bass ,mackeral,, etc inside the bay dabs, plaice ,turbot,, rays it out there??
here is a few contacts beer self drive call simon bartlet 01297 625446
charter boats beer shirley ann n.k. aplin 01297-21955
pearl 2 call john 01297-21304 these are boat numbers i took off the adverts so hope they are all correct but anyhow you can pop into beer and find out for yourselves the put puts can be booked for the day negotiate with simon? some nice campsites about and nice pubs and chippys even a nightclub if your that bored with fishing??:bleh:
i wont post the tackle shop numbers they are listed in sea angler but the boat numbers are not in conflct as the are reliant on word of mouth and recommendations and not in conflict with the tackle trade i hope this helps every one going on holiday or those that fancie a weekend fishing
please note i recommend fishing riseing to spring tides its like chesil pushing tides produce more??
also you can fish the axe for bass mullet and flatties you wiil need an eviroment agency rod licence and permits cost a fiver a day from seaton tackle shop entitles you to fish from the road bridge to the pub from the road side only up the river on the corner cheers tight lines everyone good luck happy fishing be safe!!:thumbs:
oh ps for you fluff chuckers some trout lakes day fishing can be had up the road at musbury signs on the road buckland fishery??? some whoppers in their catch and release lake:thumbs:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

looking acros river axe at axmouth beach notice lagoon in lower part of picture this taken at low water

seaton beach from river mouth at low water notice how steep it is

chicken chucker in action seaton beach
sorry about photoes cocked up in photo bucket:giveup:

you get a good depth of water here on spring tides seaton beach itself is shingle onto sand with bits of broken ground here and there towards river mouth there is a reef so beware tackle losses for bottom fishers??
also the axmouth side and the beaches to lyme are very reefy with a few clear spots a good spinning and lure beach this check out msn maps and direction go for arial veiw to see what i mean tight lines i hope this post is usefull??
ps if the mods like it sticky it and we can add more beach info to this thread???

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

looking up the river axe from road bridge shows the bank you can fish for £5 per day

axemouth harbour with tackle shop and cafe

the mullet hunters dream the moorings and pontoons axemouth harbour seaton side

seaton beach agian:oops:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

just a couple of pics of nearby beer beach i found among my old geoligy sites a few years old but it has not changed much a few more huts and boats very steep access too the main carpark is off high street it is well sign posted and reasonable charges compared with some its £6 a day on beach park if room?:ph34r:
there are 3 charter boats operate off the beach tele numbers on sea wall and sandwich boards and the self drive boats straight in front of you see simon he is always on the beach in summer season?:thumbs:
also a nice fishmongers at beach car park only sales local caught fish :thumbs:
nice place to look around and chill out lovely cliff walks to?
please note these are older photoes and taken in winter the beach is full of boats and winch gear in the summer months?

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
I have been asked by Jake (basspopper) to sticky this thread, as he feels it would be beneficial to have a point of reference for the area.

I am aware that the locations in question are very borderline between the SC and SWC, but feel that a little flexibility is not too much of a problem.

That said, we are restricted to the amount of stickies we can have and the thread's status as a sticky, will have to depend on response. I do not know the area myself, so over to you guys that do, to do the responding....personally I think Jake has made quite a good start.

This is probably not something that will able to remain a sticky for too long (otherwise everyone will want one!! lol), but given Jake's effort so far, I think he deserves to have it for the moment?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks very much andy cheers on that one !!!:thumbs:

here are a few web sites i use that i find interesting and infomative
these will help you with choices and help you find new marks to try?
as for getting to them try any of the search engine maps and directions
i.e. google earth-msn maps and directions tiscali maps etc ps dont forget to check out the arial veiws on these site as it can tell you where the tackle gravyards are or the best plugging and spinning marks?:thumbs:
so look them up and have a look at these sites i will add more as i find them but you can can also add your own beaches and info to this sticky so go for it?:thumb

WWW.WEYMOUTH-PICTURES.co.uk

www.exploresouthwestcoastpath.com

www.portlandbill.co.uk

www.west-bay-sea-angling-club.co.uk

www.westbay.co.uk

www.deepsea.co.uk if you fancy a boat trip? plus other interesting links??

i hope you peeps find these usefull and if you have any sites or beaches or info to share do not be afraid to add to iT OR POST COMMENTS!! IT IS A FREE COUNTRY ENJOY IT I WILL ADD A FEW MORE FEATURES AND LINKS AS I GET ROUND TO THEM INCLUDING CHESIL. SEATOWN EYPE CHARMOUTH AND LYME WHEN I GET TO THEM I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU ALL ON YOU HOLS ETC CHEERS FOR NOW

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow Basspopper, Firtstly, thanks for the pm and secondly, thanks for probably the most comprehensive/informative thread I have ever seen on an area I'm going to. Looking forward to fishing as much as my family allows and maybe even (if I can afford it), taking the famnily out on one of the self drive boats.

Absolutely brilliant info!

Fieldy:fishing:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
To save Basspopper some work, if you need information on marks from Lyme Regis eastwards to The Solent ( and Pembrokeshire ) have a look at

my blog

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS CAP??
NICE BLOGG I RECOMEND YOU ALL TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT IT THIS MAN HAS PUT A LOT OF LOCAL KNOWLEDGE INTO IT:thumbs:

HIGHLY RECOMENDED MANY THANKS FOR POSTING IT CAP:thumbs:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are some pics to wet you fishy appatites of the chesil beach in dorset.
but first things first saftey is first on all beaches so beware the tides and wind??
although chesil is a lovely beach to fish and sunbath do not swim on chesil because the undercurrents are strong and on high tides the rips are very strong close in if you have children make sure you keep them in sight at all times ?
also be aware that even in flat calm conditions on spring tides in particular over high water there is whats known as rogue wave syndrome caused by the overlap of incoming and ebbing tidal currents that causes a series of mexican wave effect surges and you can get caught out usualey wet feet but sometimes the shingle gives out and you could find yourselves if lucky getting a good soaking if not dragged into the sea?? beware and dont go on the beach if it is very windy especialy if southerly or southwesterly??
please take note of this and please leave the beach clean and tidy take your rubbish home it is a site of scientific interest thankyou.
these facts apply to all beaches each has its own dangers please dont take them for granted as the coastguard and the r.n.l.i. can verify by the lives they save each year and the one they dont?

i am sorry if this may spoil your veiwing of this but i do beleive everyone should be aware of the dangers at, on. or near the sea thankyou all?

now about chesil beach it is 22 miles long an runs from portland in the east to westbay in the west but access points are very far apart at portland end to westbay but here they are from portland to westbay?

first of is chesil cove and parking is limited to the masonic carpark or what is available on portland village?
next is the chesil beach carpark as you travel to weymouth this is the main carpark for the weymuoth end of chesil beach?
next beach access is abbotsbury car park outside abbotsbury,
this is roughly halfway along chesil about (9 miles from weymouth by road)
next point is west bexington along the coast road turn left at the village of swyre this is halfway along chesil beach itself.
the next accesspoint is cogden beach the car park is off the road on your left this is a national trust beach and you have to walk down the hill from the carpark so beware leaving your car overnight if fishing this beach??
the next access point is the beach carpark at the village of burton bradstock turn left as you come down the hill it is signposted but as it is partly conceald i use the bustop as the point of going past it ? so beware this one.
the next public access is of course westbay itself marking the end of the beach because of its harbour piers but the real end of chesil is eype beach because the piers are man made so i count them as the unaterual end of chesil,
there are a number of private access points to mostly caravan and camping sites the ones i have listed are public access points with carparking and tiolets.

the chesil beach from portland bill

the beach from abbotsbury

the beach at west bexington car park

the beach from westbay pier

even when calm the wave sat chesil can be dangerouse beware!!!

once again here are some usefull links for you to enjoy and plan that holiday or fishing trip??
for fishing facts i refer you all to look at previouse post captian haddocks blog it is very informative and he is buidling more info all the time i highly recommend you look at it please.

here are some more links for you to plan chesil weymouth holidays etc

www.portlandbill.co.uk

www.westbay.co.uk

www.weymouth-pictures.co.uk

WWW.WIS-FM.co.uk

·
Registered
377 Posts
"once again here are some usefull links for you to enjoy and plan that holiday or fishing trip??"

nice effort but the lazy feckers will still just post "where is chisel and how does i fish it?" and wait for you to reply and tell them rather than bothering to look for for themselves!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
"once again here are some usefull links for you to enjoy and plan that holiday or fishing trip??"

nice effort but the lazy feckers will still just post "where is chisel and how does i fish it?" and wait for you to reply and tell them rather than bothering to look for for themselves!!!!!!!!
if they checked this out it will answer alot of questions??

www.west-bay-sea-angling-club.co.uk

you cant get nearer than that its on chesil?

i could give a detialed what to expect and how to catch ?
but seeing there is an england verses wales charity match i wont bring my loyaltys into question?

first rule of fishing is the simplest do not fish for what you think is there?
rather fish for what is there is the matchmans secret weapon?

briefly for august to september mackeral ,gars,scad, bass,pliace.sole.dragonets,polock.sea bream.trigger fish. if its out there its there ?gurnard wrasse etc if you fish for it you may catch it dogs, pout,smoothhounds, what do you hope for what do you want to catch?
prime bait whats there.mackeral.squid.cutttlefish.prawns worms.crab,if its on the menu and available they will look for it??:fish:

i show you the marks.:thumbs:
i give you the options?:thumbs:
down to you to choose?:thumbs:

i cant make the fish appear they dont give up easily no you cant expect a feast its you verses them the winners are those that put in the effort and the loosers those that cant be ar!!!d? to do their homework reseach their beachcraft.
now if you are realy lazy or dont want to ring around why not ?

a/ check the forum post for fishy updates?
b/ post a whats being caught at chesil thread and hope someone answers?
c/check out the marks threads on the forum?

it here use it ?:thumbs: after all it is free???

also try these sites for all your fishy queries?
for all you uk boat fishing try this site

www.deepsea.co.uk

and this

WWW.WIS-FM.CO.UK

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been asked by Jake (basspopper) to sticky this thread, as he feels it would be beneficial to have a point of reference for the area.

I am aware that the locations in question are very borderline between the SC and SWC, but feel that a little flexibility is not too much of a problem.

That said, we are restricted to the amount of stickies we can have and the thread's status as a sticky, will have to depend on response. I do not know the area myself, so over to you guys that do, to do the responding....personally I think Jake has made quite a good start.

This is probably not something that will able to remain a sticky for too long (otherwise everyone will want one!! lol), but given Jake's effort so far, I think he deserves to have it for the moment?
Ah my local, It actually East Devon, Just a suggestion wouldn't this thread possibly do better in the "south west" forum rather then south? :)
I THINK THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION?
i put this together to help those who holiday down here and help declutter the enquirys about this and other beaches mentioned here so they can look up book up or have a more general open veiw on what to expect there are links on here for the general fishing and what to catch when and where?
its a help and regards my pms it is proving popupar?
i am currently building up a beach guide and marks to add to the marks section till then this will suffice as the marks on this post are not listed yet in the marks section!!!!!!
and a few miles each way to or from a border is meaningless?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts