World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im after a bit of info regarding fishing near seaton, the place im talking about is behind the power station. If you park up near the power station & walk to the right over the dunes as far as you can go is it possible to catch flatties out of the river end.......fancy trying a bit of flattie bashing but don't want a wasted journey. Thanks in advance Regards Tommy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tommy, many years ago , between 50 and 60, my brothers and I regularly fished the entrance area to what was then Greys Dock . It was just a couple of hundred yards from the spot you are talking about in your post. We caught lots of good sized flounders and eels. Remember, the river was much more polluted than it is now, also tackle is a lot more sophisticated (we fished with cane rods, Scarborough reels and Cuttyhunk line) so you may catch even more these days. Of course, the seals were fewer then so who knows if the flatties are still there?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
i know they are there as ive seen them.

but.... ive spent many hours using miltiple rods and failed to find them. i know other match lads who,ve done the same.

there must be flounders in the tees in numbers but i,ve failed to find them yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim & Bill, had a look there the other day & the beach area just to the left of the jetty looks fairly steep.....mite just give it a try next week,i know the wind is supposed to be going southerly but must be worth a try,though if Bill aint caught nowt I have my doubts ,,,,,,once again lads Thanks a lot

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Thanks Jim & Bill, had a look there the other day & the beach area just to the left of the jetty looks fairly steep.....mite just give it a try next week,i know the wind is supposed to be going southerly but must be worth a try,though if Bill aint caught nowt I have my doubts ,,,,,,once again lads Thanks a lot
once you get to the low water mark all along there it drops off very fast into the channel. the beach to the far left is more mud and a bit flatter as the tide comes in. right on the sand point it drops really fast and in clear water you can actually see it. the mud flats to the right of the jetty look better suited to flounder.

if you manage to catch any along there, let me know :secret:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Dave, was actually meaning the entrance end of the river but that was a good read with plenty of info thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was doing the same sort of thinking myself a week or so ago.
I'll take you through my meanderings.
1st of all the parking. There's a car park in the Nature Reserve. The entrance to the road it is easily passed if you don't watch for it.
The big problem there though is the closing times. It shuts at 6pm. May be OK for some tide times but I wouldn't like to get stuck there and have to call out the local gatekeeper.
Apart from that it's a bloody long hike to the beach and the North Gare. I mean, a couple of rods, a tackle box, rod rest and flask of coffee when wearing a onezy (1nzy?)suit or waterproof is sweaty work. You won't enjoy it.

The Gare itself isn't the best place to go flattie fishing I don't think. The Gare has the sort of slag lumps all down the river side and you can bet you'll lose a lot of rigs there as well as breaking an ankle if you venture onto them. On the Seaton side it's pretty clear so you may get some fish from there. Mind you don't catch a seal though.

Now, that was my 1st venture. I had to pack up way before high tide to get out before the gate was locked.
Next time I drove further down the road marked as Fruitaroma. It goes straight down to the start of the beach area. There's not a proper car park as such but lots of people use it and it's no less secure than the other place. Dunno about on a night time though.

From there the track is only a couple hundred yards to the beach. This is where I fished my next (and only) session. The beach directly in front of the track is clean, looks really good plaice and bass territory but the water is shallow for quite a distance so you need a good cast to get into any depth. The water was pretty clear and even though there was a large Easterley swell on the sea, the swell here was gently and not at all a nuisance.
If the water keeps clear then flattie lure fishing would be a good idea. Might even get a sea trout or salmon as well.

I gave up early here though. I had a stinking bad head and really shouldn't have gone out in the 1st place. Apart from that I was trying to cast directly into a good stiff breeze without much success.

Previous posts about the Greatham Creek area and the point seem well placed. I have Google Earthed the area a few times and they do look as if the water depth is better there with the Creek being more likely a good flattie lie. Maybe even mullet in the summer months.

For what it's worth the area is nice and clean, folk about walking the dogs on the beach, the occasional kite surfer and the inevitable 4 stroke 4 wheel kid killers zipping about the dunes but still a nice spot.

I was surprised at how clean the beaches were and the water clarity as good. This must be a hell of a turnaround from the days of shipbuilding and iron-ore slag dumping. All it needs is a hot dog stall and someone selling ice cream.

If you catch nowt then it's still been a nice day out if the weathers good.

Might see you down there sometime as this is a place I'm going to explore more myself. I need the tide to be right for me on a weekend though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seen those pics already. It's an amazing set of photo's. All the way up the coast.
The ring of stones should be called the ankle buster trap. I walked over them to the waters edge and what a nightmare.
Best staying off them as there's a serious possibility of a broken ankle there.

I didn't know how far out they extend but if you can hit clean ground casting over them then that's OK. I didn't manage it myself though and lost my first two rigs. If I'd been on the gare itself I may have done better though.

If you do want to get to the gare then the 1st car park in the nature reserve is the nearest but you need to travel light for that. Or if you can knock up an old pushair into a tackle trolley it would be easier. The walk from the Fruitaroma road is a lot further and across sand which sinks below your feet so it'll be hard going on that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys im hoping to get a couple of hours tday fishing low water up,will let you know if we catch anything cheers Tommy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tommy, the link that i posted was behind the power station. The title of the article is a bit misleading, because when you fish there, you are fishing the creek rather than the river, but it seems like you are fishing the river. Anyway, good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts