World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks got a question to ask you all, earlier in the year I caught my first seatrout. I've been hooked ever since. so I got the appropriate spinning gear and some 14g wedge lures. So far I've connected with 2 seatrout and they both have jumped and thrown the hook out of them. I'm using the standard treble that comes on them but I'm wondering what will cut down on them throwing the hook? I'm open to any and all solutions.

·
Registered
883 Posts
In-line/line through lures sea trout lure, problem solved for the most part. Have a Google, lots of options. When the fish jumps the lure shoots up the line, with no split rings there's no leverage. You still occasionally lose fish but it's so much less of a problem. I had lovely 51cm yesterday while fishing for Bass, the fish went tonto jumping in a tide, no drama.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In-line/line through lures sea trout lure, problem solved for the most part. Have a Google, lots of options. When the fish jumps the lure shoots up the line, with no split rings there's no leverage. You still occasionally lose fish but it's so much less of a problem. I had lovely 51cm yesterday while fishing for Bass, the fish went tonto jumping in a tide, no drama.
aye aye, that's interesting thank you, buddy. so how do you rig them? do you put a float stop say 1m up the leader then the lure inline then after that a bead then the hook? or do you not bother with the float stop?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aye aye, that's interesting thank you, buddy. so how do you rig them? do you put a float stop say 1m up the leader then the lure inline then after that a bead then the hook? or do you not bother with the float stop?

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Do the Bass and Pollack in that area get the same amount of lice on them or is it just the Trout and Salmon ?

·
Registered
883 Posts
From the top down, braid, leader, thread lure on via hole in the centre, small bead, maybe two. I use red or fluro, I think that can make a difference as a hot spot. From there a small oval split ring to your leader material, size 6 ultra point on the oval split ring. These lures are pretty good for schoolies as well which is what I was searching for in a few spots. No need for any stop knots. It would be rare for the lure to shoot up the line and over the knot between your braid and fluro, might cause a problem if it were repeated and lot. I use the 2mm riverage leader rings in any case. I've never worried about knots since:)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Another option is to double up on split rings which gives less leverage. It was always a problem on ABU tobys when fishing for salmon and sea trout, however it doesn`t totally cure the problem, just another option

·
Registered
883 Posts
Do you need to notify some one about catching sea trout and where it was caught
And do you need a licence
To target and or retain you need written permission in Scotland and EA rod licence in England. I’ve got this for two areas in Scotland as I do target them albeit not much this year. I’m not going in to this further as it usually ends up a bun fight on here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our seatrout are gone where I live in Ireland now, salmon farms lined across the coast.

Very sad.

In the late 80’s the go to lure was the Abu krill with teal blue and silver droppers above.

I know **** all really about seafishing but I’m a seasoned professional when it comes to seatrout and salmon. Sadly we can’t retain either now where I fish, despite paying large money for at syndicate rods.

Some salmon that are hooked badly should really be chapped but we have to put them back now and watch them die in the pools we caught them in.....the ballif are targeting legal permit holders and not the poachers, hence why I’m focusing more now on seafishing.

Ffs I’ve been returning every fish for 3 years only for them to be poached upstream!

·
Banned
3,487 Posts
You need a game license to catch salmon & sea trout. I always fly fish for them with a thunder and lightning on the point and a teal blue & silver dropper.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi folks got a question to ask you all, earlier in the year I caught my first seatrout. I've been hooked ever since. so I got the appropriate spinning gear and some 14g wedge lures. So far I've connected with 2 seatrout and they both have jumped and thrown the hook out of them. I'm using the standard treble that comes on them but I'm wondering what will cut down on them throwing the hook? I'm open to any and all solutions.
nice sea trout (sewin) last night on small mepps.my first tailwalker ever. dead pleased as i landed it on no 4 barbless .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts