World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just occured to me after reading wolfie's post on catching shed's of bass. does anyone agree that if someone fishes a so called secret mark, that they shouldn't bother posting on this forum? surely they are just showing off if they aren't going to reveal the location. the whole point of posting on here is to let others know how well certain marks are fishing at the moment. what do you think on this opinion?

· Registered
822 Posts
well.......... i agree with you mate, but then i think about who could be watching this forum, trollers? people who want to take them all? people to make money? i dunno

maybe they should give a option at the bottem of the report "PM me if you would like to know where i fished" then the person can decided to give the location out, if somone with 1 post asks them, then you know its abit dodgy etc, like if somone like me asked, then they would give me the location as they know me from here and know im no troller man

see what i mean?

· Registered
12,163 Posts
just occured to me after reading wolfie's post on catching shed's of bass. does anyone agree that if someone fishes a so called secret mark, that they shouldn't bother posting on this forum? surely they are just showing off if they aren't going to reveal the location. the whole point of posting on here is to let others know how well certain marks are fishing at the moment. what do you think on this opinion?
I think people who have worked hard to find a good mark are intitled to keep it a secret. As for showing off I don't think that is the case with wolfie as he is a very good angler. Reorts of fish being caught should encourage others to be more adventurous it searching out new marks. look at ordnace survey maps and the local tide book and find your own secret marks?

· Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,407 Posts
If someone wants to share their day out on the forum but doesn't want to share the location they fished that's up to them. I like to read good reports and see pics of fish, where they came from is not all that important to me really. ;)

· Registered
594 Posts
I think you and the rest of the moaners of secret marks should shut up, if someone has a secret mark thats fishing well then its up to them if they want to keep it a secret, i've got a secret mark which i wont put on here cus its small, clean and theres plenty of fish there! anyway it gives it a bit more of a competitive edge and i think fishing is about experimenting and learning to fish venues in the right way and if someone has spent hours and hours trying to crack a certain mark and they want to keep a secret whats the harm???

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah good points made. i'm not saying that wolfie's anything other than a super angler and as a beginner, i'd jump at the chance if he offered to go along with me. (doubt he'd do that now though haha!) i'm just saying that a catch report is surely meant to help fellow anglers. but i take the other points raised. tight lines

· Registered
317 Posts
I only have one real secret shore mark. It's down gold cliff and right infront of everyones nose. Had sole to 3lb 4oz and small bass there. Only fished there 5/6 times in the last 2 years but its a low water mark on the right tide. So, no one fishes low water here really! Good fish though but very dangerous!

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh heck. i don't blame people for keeping marks secret, i would too. that's not the point pikeman. my opinion was about sharing the fact that you catch loads and don't say where. i just don't really think that helps anyone. but i will shut up now. best wishes

· Registered
12,414 Posts
ill happily give general info on a mark or near a good mark but sometimes dont get too specific.

some marks are good because not everyone knows about them and are best kept that way. some may be nursery areas or as happend locally a spot that holds only a few rods now gets mobbed when conditions are right and those who gave out the original info now cant get on it.

general info though will guide someone in the right direction rather than see them blank on a totally wrong spot.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and in fairness this forum is headed catch and venue report. so that doesn't mean you have to include both in your reports i guess. ah, i'm coming around slowly.

· Registered
594 Posts
oh heck. i don't blame people for keeping marks secret, i would too. that's not the point pikeman. my opinion was about sharing the fact that you catch loads and don't say where. i just don't really think that helps anyone. but i will shut up now. best wishes
i would say that 90% say where they catch, and then theres a only few pepole who wont say, but they are usually the first people to help someone out with a question,

· Registered
4,191 Posts
can't see a problem with keeping secret spots secret.
these places are found by luck and experimentation normally after putting lots of hours in walking the coastline and fishing/blanking/loosing tackle until the holy grail materialises. a general idea ie "fished the gower today" but nothing specific with photos not giving anything away.
i certainly wouldn't want to turn up somewhere which has taken loads of time and effort learning how to fish a place to find it full of anglers leaving litter and killing everything with fins or netted off...not suggesting anyone who posts on here but there are plenty of lurkers.

john

· Registered
12,414 Posts
just an example

i fish my local comps but do my homework. travel and practice on new marks. get blanks trying. i ring around and take more time collecting the right bait than actually fishing.

then the guys who turn up on the day buy a packet of rag and then head off to the nearest mark out of the wind leaving there baits out for 45mins complain when i wont tell them where i,m going.

after the match though i usually tell them where i beat them from. if a person looks to be putting some effort in themselves though and is still struggling i will take them with me and show them how and where to catch on the day.

· Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,407 Posts
I suppose for someone new to the area, or a beginner who's ready to make the jump to more challenging locations, it's a bit frustrating. There are plenty of marks where you can catch a fishy or 3 that are regularly reported on the forum though, and what you find over time is that you eventually get the odd tip for a new venue if you chat to other anglers you see regularly. :)

Secret locations hold no fascination for me, I like to fish where there's a well trodden path, lots of anglers using it usually, but not always mind, means it must be a good spot. :)

· Registered
18 Posts
:) I know what you mean it is annoying when your a beginner as i am but thats what its all about. I would never expect anyone to say where a specific mark is because of the amount of time and effort that went into finding it. Only for a couple of beginners to turn up and bash it. I have learn't alot from this forum over the past year. Rarely do i post but i read all the time. I want to catch a bass this year any size really. From reading i think Rhossilli beach, or Pendine somewhere like that with peeler crab or sand eel should give me a decent chance. Thats something i never knew last year and i think thats what this forum should be about just putting people on the right lines and showing you what its like when you have a very good day.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
got to agree with the majority and say its fine too keep your marks secret!suppose you find a nice quiet spot have a few fish and report it on here!next time you go there you cant get on the mark because its full!gutted!anyway,wheres this secret bass mark wolfie???????lol

· Registered
164 Posts
have to agree with the majority here. we need to hear about catches from everywhere - secret or not. It would be a great loss if people were having great catches but had nowhere to report it. It's also quite exciting to know there are still some great secret venues still to be discovered by the great majority - we will keep looking out for them!

· Registered
61 Posts
well.......... i agree with you mate, but then i think about who could be watching this forum, trollers? people who want to take them all? people to make money? i dunno

maybe they should give a option at the bottem of the report "PM me if you would like to know where i fished" then the person can decided to give the location out, if somone with 1 post asks them, then you know its abit dodgy etc, like if somone like me asked, then they would give me the location as they know me from here and know im no troller man

see what i mean?
wht is a troller

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.