World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrightey just registered on this thing so here goes!
Ok im a young lad from prestwick down in Ayrshire, needing advice on some spots where to go and what to try. I used to fish Troon harbour before they shifted the fishin boats from Ayr to troon everything went tits up down this way, some evenings you got whiting, mackeral, codling, HERRING, flatties, conger,(wee) ballan wrasse, mullet and i even remember someone getting a smoothhound or some sort of dogfish family thing one night probably between 10-15lb.
But thats all changed and its hard to fish there now with P&O and the seacat etc. I've tried Ayr but it seems pointless unless its a july/august evening for mackeral, coalies or mullet. Theres nothing around all winter. Prestwicks & newton shores got worse for flounder.

So does anyone know of somewhere where im possibly able to catch something? Maybe Dunure way? maybe largs? whats helensburgh peir like and bowling, cause my dad used to fish there?

oh and another question, i tried spending sunday there with a mate up at loch etive, we tried fishing with ragworm, lugworm, herring and coalie strips, but didnt have any luck. we were fishing on a sort of penninsula sort of thing at the quarry on the north side. we did see another lad cath a wee thornback ray over the other side. is there any good spots to try next if we go again? there was a jetty over the south side that looked promising.

is there a rule of thumb up there cause there seems to be a delay factor for the tides?

help!!!!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Can't really help you myself, but there's plenty of folk in here that will go out their way to help you.
Welcome to the site by the way & be carefull how you word things ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
welcome to the site 2much:clap3: there,s loads of info on the site about etive just put in a search about etive an you,ll find loads of good info!!:clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
theres still fish in ayrshire marks its just near impossible to get near them
unless you can fling a bait 180yds and have the patience of a saint
few chuck n see marks left around troon and saltcoats ardrossan but you might as well plunk away off ayr
id try the coast down to dunure or up at portencross
theres lsd and conger right along the coast from ayr to ardrossan
and the obligatory saithe n pollys they just take longer to catch
id try further afield like dunure or portencross if fishing local

·
Registered
651 Posts
most of the ayrshire coast is rubbish nowadays m8 but you can still have a good days fishing at dunure if you time the tides right, there is a mark to the left hand side of the castle that can be fished 2 hours into the ebb tide,you will get doggies coalies etc from there, if u need anymore info let me know and ill give you more details.

·
Registered
797 Posts
best advice head down this way m8 if that's at all possible some good sport to be had but good luck were ever you chose to fish

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
why be suspicious? He's not asking much and didnt specify an age either. Maybe his motives are pure!

The advice from Tommy is, unfortunately, correct. You can catch doggies up at Largs, but if you have a car you aren't far from decent marks at Portpatrick. Fish the area in summer for pollack, wrasse, doggies and some other stuff.

Check this forum for details, hundreds of threads will have been posted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts