World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually that should be 'hand in hand' 馃檲

Bass and smooth hounds that is... Just recently I can't seem to catch one without catching the other even on different venues....

Smooth hound numbers really must of exploded, much like thornback rays too. Most likely as they are not so sought after commercially... Yet anyway. 馃檨

Unfortunately my work has been off the scale again... I guess there are bigger problems to have... And along with tending my veggie garden amongst other things is leaving me little to no time to get a report written out properly. 馃槫

So this one is a short one...

Basically I fished two low tides last weekend, again fishing a simple running ledger set up and again into a choppy coloured sea. 馃憣馃徎

On the first session my good friend Chris joined me and he got himself to lovely smooth hound, also getting himself a new pb. 馃憤馃徎

Firstly a lovely Starry which gave a great account of itself in the surf which weighed in just shy of 7lb.
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Salmon-like fish Fish

And a slightly smaller and well received common.
Water Food Fish Seafood Fin

I also managed a hound to, although definitely smaller saved me from a blank. 馃憤馃徎

Water Glove Jacket Recreation Sand

Finally as its only a short post this time....

A few pics to finish telling.... It was non stop at times with the bass in particular very hard on the feed.

Caught on crab and caught within 30-70 yards of the shore. 馃憤馃徎

Bedrock Fish Wood Soil Marine mammal

Reptile Fish Wood Lizard Terrestrial animal

Fish Ray-finned fish Bedrock Fin Rock

Fish Bedrock Soil Rock Wood

Bedrock Fish Scaled reptile Landscape Rock

Fin Fish Marine biology Fish products Ray-finned fish

Marine biology Fish Fin Salmon-like fish Fish products

I hit the 10 photo limit so that's your lot.... 馃檲馃帲馃帲馃帲

Tight Lines

Registered
Some great fishing there, thanks for the report (y).

Ray and hound numbers have certainly increased massively over the last 10 to 15 years. When I first joined WSF, a mate and I targeted smoothhound off Holyhead breakwater and though we only caught a couple of pups, everyone was amazed :oops:.

The same goes for thornback rays and it took me years of effort to start catching them in decent numbers, there were only a few reliable marks then too, but these days they can turn up almost anywhere.

It's all great news, and long may the numbers continue to rise ;).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some great fishing there, thanks for the report (y).

Ray and hound numbers have certainly increased massively over the last 10 to 15 years. When I first joined WSF, a mate and I targeted smoothhound off Holyhead breakwater and though we only caught a couple of pups, everyone was amazed :oops:.

The same goes for thornback rays and it took me years of effort to start catching them in decent numbers, there were only a few reliable marks then too, but these days they can turn up almost anywhere.

It's all great news, and long may the numbers continue to rise ;).
Absolutely, couldn't agree more there on both species Andy. 馃憤馃徎

I remember when rays were mainly really looked at as a boat caught species in the main anyway. But now, like you say, they turn up all over. 馃帲

And it is all great news for sure. 馃帲馃帲馃憤馃徎

1 - 5 of 5 Posts