World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
is it circle hooks that your talking about , i dont normaly use them , but have used small ones in the past for flatty fishing , they worked fine .

al

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
if it is the circle hooks,
i know Shetjan and Codheadbob have posted a few reports about using them.
try a wee search and hopefully its still on the forum.

i think the idea is " not " too strike the bites , just reel in and the hooks set themself.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
I was wondering last night if there might be something like this that you could use for mullet to hook them as soon as they put the bread in their mouths. My mind was thinking of spikes shooting out when pressure was applied, though. Hahaha...

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I was wondering last night if there might be something like this that you could use for mullet to hook them as soon as they put the bread in their mouths. My mind was thinking of spikes shooting out when pressure was applied, though. Hahaha...
them mullet must be driving you crazy :crazy::crazy:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
In my experience with the circle hooks,(at least up till now),is that they increased the hook-ups of the winter codling and did exactly what they were supposed to in that they always seemed to get caught in the corner of the mouth,but the summer colding just gulp the whole lot down in the manner they usually do. The wrasse hook-ups don't seem any different,and with not striking my personal feeling is that they get too much time to get their heads down into the kelp with you standing waiting on them hooking up. The small sizes do seem to help with the flounders mind you,not nearly so many swallowed hooks.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
them mullet must be driving you crazy :crazy::crazy:
That thought was swiftly followed by another one involving stun-hooks.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Anyone ever tried so called 'self striking' hooks?

Ordered some from a website just to try them out,wondering if anyone has tried them yet and if they actually are self-striking?
They are self-striking, and damned good......they caught you m8 :lmao:

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'd love somebody to invent a reasonably sized (2, 1 or 1/0) hook that the flatties were unable to swallow right down and hooked them in the corner of the mouth everytime! I've still never found any disgorger, or forceps etc.. that successfully remove deep taken hooks from flatties easily and quickly without doing any damage. As for cutting the line, leaving the hook in & returning them as many do, I'm unconvinced it is OK & that they survive, feed and grow with no problem - is there any evidence?

Phil :headhurt:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Hi great report could you explain why you straitened the offset on the hooks and can you purchase them without the offset.

the offset allows the how to hook in whatever it touches,this increases the chances of a deep hook.straightening this reduces deep hooking,yet does'nt seem to affect the amount of fish hooked.

without checking,only know that razor claw are straught,also very different looking to other circles....very good and strong though

·
Registered
100 Posts
i ONLY use circle hooks
for me here in the US, the point is to increase chance of hookup (about 90%) through the nose, corner jaw, thru bottom jaw.
and NOT gut hooking the fish. which can result in the death of a fish if its hooked badly..

most of the time i catch and release. so a circle is a must in my books..

i use Owner SSW Inline Circles 9/0

oh BTW, its not exactly selfstrike,, ALTHOUGH.. you can make it to do so.
i use them in fishfinder rigs , heres an example.
http://www.fishingmoz.com/images/stories/fishing/fishfinder01.jpg

so, when i see a fish, i drop the rod. let it take slack line, then set hook just pulling up the tip and reeling in.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
scoot have you thought that maybe the reason you didnt get a hook up was maybe the presentation of the bait or maybe fishing to big or it was pesky little bait robbing fish,only reason i say is cause iv seen me getting bites but no hook ups so if it gets real annoying i scale down my hooks in size to see whats doing it

·
Registered
821 Posts
the offset allows the how to hook in whatever it touches,this increases the chances of a deep hook.straightening this reduces deep hooking,yet does'nt seem to affect the amount of fish hooked.

without checking,only know that razor claw are straught,also very different looking to other circles....very good and strong though
Not exactly sure what you mean by "straightening the offset", can you elaborate for me, i.e. what part exactly? Sorry for my ignorance of these matters. I have ordered some of the ones recommended on this thread and look forward to using them & hopefully getting more flatties lip hooked.

cheers

Phil

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Not exactly sure what you mean by "straightening the offset", can you elaborate for me, i.e. what part exactly? Sorry for my ignorance of these matters. I have ordered some of the ones recommended on this thread and look forward to using them & hopefully getting more flatties lip hooked.

cheers

Phil
Phil, you'll see on some hooks, that if you hold it so that you are looking at it with the J facing you, the point will be offset. I believe he is on about getting rid of that (without reading the other tread). On the previous question you've asked, I think most people have problems with flatties taking the hook well out of sight every now and then. Circles could possibly help this, but I find the best way is to use small, lightweight hooks that will straighten easily, a quick jerk and they're out. Some may disagree with this, but if it's not possible to remove the hook by any other method then it at least gives the fish a chance. Mustad Nordic Bend in a 4 are ideal for this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts