World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught a few fish recently using the guts section of mackerel, filleted thin over the middle to leave some of the body wall intact.
I've been hooking this on frozen, then wrapped tight with elastic — the idea being that as it thaws, the elastic squeezes the juice out.
Not sure just how good an idea this is, as all cuts catch, but since I started it, this guts-length has been the bit that always catches, if anything does.

So, last night I ran out of lacky, the fish was defrosting, and there was no way to keep the guts on the hook.... until I turned the bait into an intestines spring roll, all wrapped up in nice, biodegradable sellotape.

And I got my only eel of a dog-filled night!

A right old fighter, and as you can see, I even got my tape back!
It's washed and drying on the line right now.

:)

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Your swivels were kept in an egg box?

The rest of your "tackle" was in Jan's old tights?!?!?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Very "Blue Peter" Mr Hake and it did the job. You must have been ELLated.
I'm gonna look through my cupboards at home and see what I've got. You should start a thread on who can catch on the weirdest rig/artificial/household goods!!

:clap3:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sticky Strip Snags Strong Slippy Strap !
i bet u couldnt say that five times fast after a few beers ay!
nice one:clap3: nicely thought up!
tight lines (& sticky tape):)

·
Registered
263 Posts
you know someones gonna say it, so we may as well get it over with..........................

boidegradable sellotape?....not saying it isnt, but where did you get it??....and how long does it take to break down??

Nice fish, by the way!! :clap3:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Tesco.
Not sure if it was Sellotape proper, by brand, but the special bag it came in said biodegradable, although you can bet your harse the special bag itself wasn't.
dont know about that one not stuck on tha idea but you seem to hae it taped:unsure:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tesco.
Not sure if it was Sellotape proper, by brand, but the special bag it came in said biodegradable, although you can bet your harse the special bag itself wasn't.
lookin on the net it would appear that you can get a sellotape that is, as you say biodegradable...being made of cellulose (wood pulp). In fact it is the original sellotape, and is a million times better on the environment than most others, which are made of plastic (acetate)..... but it doesnt say how long it takes to break down...anyone have any ideas?? :g:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
we used to use pvc bags filled with fishbits for pike fishing, they dissolve in the water quite quickly......if you were to conceile your hook in this you might be on to a winner????

·
Registered
263 Posts
we used to use pvc bags filled with fishbits for pike fishing, they dissolve in the water quite quickly......if you were to conceile your hook in this you might be on to a winner????

dude I am so glad that you have brought this up...Me and lugulator messed about with pva bags last year, and found that they were starting to dissintigrate (sp) with the wetness of the fish that we were putting in them before we had even cast them out....schoolboy error, or have others had this problem too??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Favourite bait for catching tope off of Selsey(Hants/Sussex border) was head and guts of fresh mackeral. Just take the fillets off, the backbone from just behind the head, et viola! When the mackeral was fresh we would be able to cast the bait, intact, 60-70yds uptide. Just impale the cut end of the head onto one of the gripwires. It acts the same as a bait clip.
Et viola........Just been watching masterchef. If anyones interested....I know the fat bird.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice one that is just the kind of crazy ass thing I would try.It is easy to mock new ideas not so easy to come up with them.I often screw a cage feeder to my lead and fill it with alsorts of goodies,this bagged me a lobster which took the live prawn on the hook.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
lol good effort with the tags mate:)
and nice eel.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts